Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The U.S. state deptartment is advising us to stay away from border areas.
The U.S. State Department has renewed a travel advisory warning Americans about an increase in violence along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The alert issued Friday says violent crime is particularly worrisome along the U.S.-Mexico border, where automatic weapons and grenades have been used in clashes between police and drug traffickers.

Since we are Federal Employees our request for time off to drive to mexico to race has been denied. Are there other places we could hold MidWinters West in the future? I know this year its too late but what about next year?

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was just looking at the pictures from Hava Reunion and wishing someone would move the Midwinters to Havasu.
And with the high price of everthing I would like to see it moved closer too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice Idea, my question is how hard would that be to change ? Would that upset people if it was moved from San Felipe? Would Gordo and the gang be willing to take that on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Geeze guys, As the Chairman of Midwinters West, and the guy who's been busting his butt to get things ready for the regatta I must say I feel slighted. I would have thought you'd send me an email to share your thoughts & feelings. I sent out a mass email in April of last year asking input from Hobie racers who have been to MWW, as to a venue change. We tossed out San Diego, and Havasu. In fact, the email went out before Havasu Reunited was even advertised. The majority of responses was to keep it at San Felipe, even raise the entry fee (which we didn't). So, here we are. If you want to email me direct, by all means do. My address to use is [email protected] As for having your time off requests denied because you want to go to Mexico, that sounds a bit off. Are you uniformed military? If so, I understand. Why do you need to tell your Supervisor the reason for wanting time off? If we move the event to Lake Havasu will you be there???? Let me know, send me an email. Would you like to take over the Chairman position should it become available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You have mail...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You too....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have always wanted to attend MWW in Mexico. That being said, if the event were to move closer to the Midwest, I would more likely attend. With a 13 hour drive, I have attended MWE 2 out of the last 4 years and would be there this year if not for my 2 new deductions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rick Buchanan wrote:
As for having your time off requests denied because you want to go to Mexico, that sounds a bit off. Are you uniformed military? If so, I understand. Why do you need to tell your Supervisor the reason for wanting time off?

Perhaps somebody has a security clearance? I know that when I did, I was expected to notify my supervisor of any foreign travel plans. And they (him and his bosses) could in fact tell me not to go... assuming I wanted to keep my job (which at the time, I did).

Though that was a long time ago, I would be surprised if the rules aren't even more strict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First off Rick im sorry if I offended you in any way. I love the San Felipe site and have never had a problem there.

Yes we are With the Uniformed services, (my wife atleast) and we need to inform her supervisor if we are more than 300 miles from home.

I brought it up because we are federal employees. Legally I can't go this year due to the State Department ruling. Thats why I brought it up.

Rick you do a great job and I have the upmost respect for all you do for the sport. But this is the 3rd year where travel was denied due to security concerns.

Sorry again if I have offended anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Rich, I sent you a private reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Rick,

I used to travel to San Felipe to race all the time, but I too have had second thoughts on travel in Mexico with the family as of late. This is especially true after the Mc Millen off road race team incident. Maybe at the event this year you can ask the full group if moving the event to Lake Havasu would make more sense for future regattas. I loved San Felipe when it was a sleepy fishing village, but that was long ago and without the drug trade violence that is happening now.

Mike Hammond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's some travel & safety info from the San Felipe web site (www.sanfelipe.com.mx):

Thursday 8 January 2009

Safety

The overwhelming number of enquiries that we now get concern the safety of travelling to San Felipe because of the publicity on the drug wars that are raging in Tijuana (and also in Ciudad Juarez).

What is important to understand is that this activity is limited to a very small area of Tijuana that is not a region where tourists would normally go. Virtually all the roads and towns of Baja California are very safe and have essentially zero small crime rates compared to anywhere in the USA. The local Mexican population is just as upset as you would be to hear of the very negative publicity in their towns and villages and its devastating effects on the tourism industry.

Here, however, are our specific recommendations for travel to San Felipe:

Cross the border at Calexico/Mexicali, at Tecate or at Los Algadones. Avoid the crossings between Tijuana and Otay Mesa and San Ysidro because these will route you east through areas that are seeing gang, military and police activity. The road south to Ensenada is safe and from there the route to San Felipe is in good condition. However, it is a very lonely road and we recommend the route only if you are travelling with two or more other vehicles.

Travel only during daylight hours and plan to be in San Felipe before nightfall. This is because there is a lot of construction traffic on the roads and the heavily overloaded Mexican trucks sometimes lose bricks, blocks or scrap as they go over bumps. You absolutely do not want to run over any such object on a deserted road at night and have a burst tire or bent axle. In addition, there are extensive roadworks underway in Mexicali and you need to watch carefully for the detour signs. For the most relaxed driving experience, travel Tuesdays-Thursdays when the traffic flow is very light - often less than 30 vehicles/hour. This is also the time when you are likely to encounter the fewest number of inebriated motorists.

Activate your cellphone for roaming in Mexico!!! You will have best luck with ATT and T-mobile, which have coverage throughout Mexico on the GSM networks. Verizon and Sprint will work along the border but you will find big gaps in coverage. Be sure that you instruct your carrier to allow both international dialing and international roaming. If you have any concerns while on the road, call the tourist department hotline 078. This will connect you with friendly, bilingual operators from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and the calls are free. They will help you with directions or send help if you need it. For any emergency dial 066 and you will get the police who can send federal or state units to help you. Remember that if you want to call back to the USA, dial 001+ (Area Code) +7 digit number.

Once you leave Mexicali city limits, do not stop unless you have an emergency. The soft shoulders of the roads out in the country may be too unstable to safely park on and we have seen vehicles slide down the slopes into the desert sand. If you see stranded vehicles by the side of the road, use your cellphone to call 078 or 066 and get help sent to the unfortunate vehicle - note the kilometer marker by the road for better location of the breakdown.

Roadworks to upgrade the carriageway to four lanes are in progress south of the Ensenada Road junction. Be very careful driving on this stretch of highway as the road width is very restricted and there are no shoulders for emergency use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Roger, I haven't received your MWW entry form yet... Are you going to be racing with Jordan? The info you shared should hopefully make everyone feel a bit more secure in traveling to San Felipe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow read that Mexican propaganda, I say bull (censored), give me any town in the USA and I'll take my chances over ANY town in Mexico. You guys do what you want but I say NO to Mexico, at least for the foreseeable future !!! Spend your money here in the USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus SAIL USA also !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have you ever been to East LA?