Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to mount either a cheek block or large round eye padeye to both akas to feed my jib sheets through (i have cam cleats mounted on the egde of the hull just forward of the seat)

I was thinking the best would be to pop-rivet the fittings to the akas, but what is the aks made of?? alloy? if so i can use aluminium pop-rivets, or has anyone else mounted fittings to the akas by another method succesfully? Bear in mind my fittings will have a fair amount of force on them.

Cheers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am not sure I would go with a cheek block they do not do a very good job accepting different line angles. As a start I would lash a small harken carbo tielight block or 30 MM ronstan orbit block to the aka. If if still tends to slip in and out wrap the aka with non-skid. As a last resort you can use an eye strap around the lines to restrain them. This strap could be mounted to the front or back of the Aka which is the neutral bend axis to minimise decreasing the strength of the aka. By using a lashing as the primary load path the loads on the eye strap would be very low allowing for very small pop rivets to be used.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've pop riveted additional eyelet posts #41220001 (top hats) on multiple aka with no problems for sprayskirt installations. I did find one early set of akas was made of very soft material but still worked.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

reconlon
Quote:
I've pop riveted additional eyelet posts #41220001 (top hats) on multiple aka with no problems for sprayskirt installations.

Did you use aluminium pop rivets??

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Did you use aluminium pop rivets??

Yep

I have SS also, but I thought it would be too much for the plastic part. The SS take a lot of pressure to install them. If mounting a SS part I would try the SS pop rivets.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use two tiewaraps to attach the blocks for my barber hauls. I like this method because it requires no drilling and it provides a weak link in case of a catastropic wind gust or other failure. Sorry I don't have a pic available I am out of town for the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for the tips, i had already used tie wraps to secure some bungee which the jib sheet passed through, but actually snapped one when a gust came along, releasing the jib sheet. I have added a jib furler so can furl the jib if coming into heavy wind, but wasnt ready for the small gust that snapped the tie!

I thing the pop rivets would be stronger - although still toying with lashing some cord??

Hmm - will advise later...

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

your right you will pop tie wrap. I have popped them on the barber hauls on heavy gusts but with a barber haul it is a good thing since it quickly depowers the main. If the sheet is cleated the breakaway feature on the main can be a real good thing but maybe not so good on a jib. How strong of a wind are you using it in I have used tie wraps on the main barber haul in ove 20 kts of wind. Thru trail and error I have determined that two tie wraps give me the proper breakaway strength. I also carry extras so i can hit the beach and rerig if necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Quirkster

Quote:
Thru trail and error I have determined that two tie wraps give me the proper breakaway strength. I also carry extras so i can hit the beach and rerig if necessary.

Yep, i added another tie clip on the inner lashing point which seemed to give that extra strength, i have purchased some SS rings about 1inch diameter whic i will first try lashing with 2 or even three tie clips to the aka.

I also bought some SS padeyes which i will pop rivet if the above doesnt work out, time will tell.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am planning on running a jib on my AI also.
Earlier threads have talked about putting the jib sheet turning blocks
on the amas (on the handles, etc.)
Are there real jib handling experiences in requiring that the blocks be more inboard on the akas rather than on the amas?
Will be there be structural strength compromises between attaching
the blocks on the present ama attachements versus drilling and
attaching blocks on the akas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to have some bungee strapped to the aka but that wore through and i thought of using the ama handles but all that jib sheet dangling across the water would to me become a problem so i just added a pad eye to each aka about 2 inch outside the paddle strap, allows for good control of jib sheets and i can use the windward control sheet to reduce the slot between the jib and main, so acts a bit like a barber hauler.

I pop riveted with 5/32 aluminium rivets. The drill hole into the aka shows metal depth of about 3/16 inch so i wouldnt be too worried about the strength.

A tip if drilling into the aka, stick some masking tape over the area to drill, mark the holes with a felt pen, drill the first hole (you wont slip off the mark because of the grip of the tape) then check position of padeye and adjust second location if necessary, drill then remove tape - a perfect job! :idea:

I also have some mini tramps which attaches to itself with velcro after wrapping around the aka tightly - these tramps keep my jib sheets neatly out of the water - but the tramps are not strong enough to haul myself out on :cry:

Here are some snaps extracted from some video - i still have the bungee strap in these snaps, but has been replaced now with the padeyes for the jib sheet to pass through onto the camm cleats near my seat:

Note the jib furler in this snap - allows me to depower if necessary

Still, i dont use the jib setup in anything above 10knots and it takes doube the time to rig up with jib etc, so sometimes i just want to sail quickly and just rig up au original!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice. can you still furl and un furl the main with the jib present. Could you please send a photo of the mast head set up. Do you have any problem keeping jib luff tension?
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep i can still furl the mainsail with the jib furled or unfurled, i originally drilled through the hard rubber mast plug and inserted a 3inch x 3/16 SS bolt with a swing arm off the bolt but the bolt stated to bend under load and also tended to foul the top batten when furling the main.

So a friend of mine bent some 3/16 SS rod to a shape that works well. (My mate pointed out that a 3/16 bolt with thread is really only 1/8 thick after reduction for thread so is not very strong, whereas a 3/16 rod is much stronger). When i want to add the jib, i simply push the SS rod into the top of the mast plug through a small hole in the webbing strap, i use a 3/4 inch washer on top of webbing and the SS rod has a small brass collar to act as a stopper against the washer, see below photos, actually when taking these photos i noticed that the rod has bent slightly too (but at least wont break) - i might have to go up a size??

In answer to question about luff tension, yes that is a bit of a challenge, i do have a halyard line that i can tighten to keep the tension tight but then that is probably when i have bent the SS rod on top of mast. I may upload some video after this weekend sailing which will show all workings hopefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

very very clean what kind if a jib furler do you use. would running backstays help with jib luff tension and allow you to sail in stronger winds
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great work i tri! 8)
Yours is the first jib setup that has got me wanting to add it to my AI. I like the way it furls and doesn't interfere with the main furling. Nicely thought out!