Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chris,

No, I looked at the BlueChart map while still in the store as I wanted to see if it included the Great Lakes (the area in question), and to what detail. It has the lagoon, but not much in the way of roads. Once I got home and loaded the City Navigator, which does have the road, but doesn't show the lagoon, I was able to see both. Not sure if the different behavior is because the BlueChart maps are factory installed on the 400c, rather than my having loaded through the USB, but it works. I haven't tried loading the Inland Lakes maps on the 400c. No need to as almost all the places I sail are covered by the BlueChart package. I will be loading them on the 76 though. An additional benefit is that the BlueChart maps include depth information, which the Inland Lakes maps do not. Not that depth is a major worry with the AI, but it's still nice to know.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does the Colorado 400c do the VMG calculation anywhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, VMG is a pretty standard data field option on most GPS units. On any of the screens with data fields displayed you can select what information you want displayed in each of the fields. I usually have it displayed on my Compass screen and sometimes on the Trip Computer screen. Depends on whether I actually have a destination. As they say, power boating is about the destination, while sailing is about the journey.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Hi Bob,

I have also just acquired a Garmin GPSMap 76CSX. I am still figuring it out - its a great GPS, but the documentation is pretty basic. I think I have the VMG figured out.
Bob wrote:
I've been able to get the VMG speed to reach the ground speed, should I be able to exceed to ground speed?

- VMG cannot exceed ground speed, since for any given ground (or water) speed, the fastest you can approach your destination is to head straight for it, in which case, ground speed will equal VMG.
Bob wrote:
how do you have your GPS display setup when you view VMG

I have set up my trip computer page to display VMG - I believe you can do the same on the compass page.
Bob wrote:
how do you adjust course heading to optimize your VMG speed?

The whole point about VMG is that the maximum speed through the water is usually not the fastest way to reach your destination - there is usually a tradeoff. VMG is the speed at which you are actually approaching your destination. The AI usually reaches its maximum water speed on about a beam reach (around 90 degrees to the wind), but the shortest distance to your destination is more often than not at some angle other than this. If your aim is to reach your destination as quickly as possible, the trick is to adjust your helm (angle to the wind) until you achieve the highest possible VMG reading. For example, if you are sailing on a close reach and you start to turn away from the wind and the VMG reading drops, you should point higher into the wind, even though your boat speed may drop. If your VMG reading increases, you should gradually point higher until your VMG starts to drop. Whichever heading gives the highest VMG is the optimal heading for reaching your destination quickly.

To make things even more complex, you need to adjust the trim of your sail whenever you change your heading, so you should compare the VMG reading after you have trimmed the sail.

Personally, I'd rather take a bit longer and have fun with the boat moving faster 8)

Hey Chris - did you buy yours from Ryda.com.au :?:
They appear to have the best prices I can find :roll:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes Mickey, I did get mine from Ryda. They do seem to be the cheapest. I have also ordered a Bluecharts CD and a Ram mount from Johnny
Appleseed. If you go down the same path, please note: You can get
Bluecharts for a smaller area cheaper on a micro sd card, but then, if you want to add the Topo Australia or City Navigator maps later, you will have to keep swapping sd cards to use the different maps. It's better to pay more for the CD and buy a blank micro sd card (~$15). Then you can load all your maps onto the one card, as you acquire them. Also, you can then use the maps on your PC as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Yes Mickey, I did get mine from Ryda. They do seem to be the cheapest. I have also ordered a Bluecharts CD and a Ram mount from Johnny
Appleseed. If you go down the same path, please note: You can get
Bluecharts for a smaller area cheaper on a micro sd card, but then, if you want to add the Topo Australia or City Navigator maps later, you will have to keep swapping sd cards to use the different maps. It's better to pay more for the CD and buy a blank micro sd card (~$15). Then you can load all your maps onto the one card, as you acquire them. Also, you can then use the maps on your PC as well.

Chris, Thanks for the info. :)
I'm heading to Penrith for the Ulysses AGM at the end of the week.
May also be popping up the Central Coast to see my brother.
I will also ride over to Petersham and expect I'll come home with a 76CSx (or maybe 2) which Pirate & I will need for our next adventure (& lots of subsequent ones). :wink:
From what you have said it sounds like the unit will interface with a PC like my old Street Pilot did :?: That would be excellent :!:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey! I'd suggest you come for a sail while you're on the Central Coast, but I guess your boat might be a bit difficult to bring up on the back of your motorbike. I've got some spare kayaks if you feel like a paddle :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Hey! I'd suggest you come for a sail while you're on the Central Coast, but I guess your boat might be a bit difficult to bring up on the back of your motorbike. I've got some spare kayaks if you feel like a paddle :)

Chris, that sounds very tempting!!
If you happen to have a spare AI I'll be there like a flash :D
What kind of kayaks are we talking about??
I appreciate the offer and really am quite interested even if it's not an AI. 8) You could also show me a thing or two re the 76CSX if/when I buy it.

Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm a bit short on spare AI's Mickey :cry: . I've got an Ocean Kayak Malibu tandem and an Ocean Kayak Prowler (my son's), plus, of course, the AI in Adventure mode. You can take your pick - paddle or pedal. Also got some beautiful mountain streams, just made for kayaking.

I've had the Garmin for one week, so I'm not exactly a guru, but I can share the bit that I've learned. Keith (Chekika) has made some very informative posts about it in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey,
I've got a spare AI. When were you thinking of heading up this way? I can't do Friday or Saturday but any other time should be OK.
Chris -any preferences on where to go? Half Tide Rocks to Barrenjoey via Lion Island or Patonga to Refuge Bay are my personal favourites! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Mickey,
I've got a spare AI. When were you thinking of heading up this way? I can't do Friday or Saturday but any other time should be OK.
Chris -any preferences on where to go? Half Tide Rocks to Barrenjoey via Lion Island or Patonga to Refuge Bay are my personal favourites! :)

By an amazing coincidence, I was going to do Ettalong to Barranjoey next Saturday Stringy. It's the last leg I haven't done between Gosford and Mooney Mooney. I can do Sunday instead, but I need to be at Ourimbah by 4, so back to Ettalong by 3. I was at Refuge Bay, en route to Castle Lagoon last Saturday.

Not that I would ever get sick of it :)

What do you reckon Mickey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris & Stringy - Count me in :D :D
I will make my arrangements accordingly so that we can do the trip this Sunday 15 March.
I'm assuming we would be in full AI mode - in which case I'd appreciate the use of your spare AI Stringy. Should I bring my Mirage drive with the turbos?? Mine is an 09 model so I'm not sure whether there would be a compatability issue :roll:
Either route sounds fine with me, however I guess the Half Tide Rocks to Barenjoey trip would be somewhat more weather dependant :roll:
If this is a goer, I will probably start heading up on Friday, stay at a mates place at Merimbula that night then continue up the coast to Nowra before heading inland via Kangaroo Valley and on to the Central Coast.
This is a fantastic opportunity to have a new adventure and have the benefit of your local knowledge - I really appreciate your generosity :)
Please let me know where and when we will rendevous and any other relevant details.

Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is Sunday OK for you Chris? It's a shame you have to be back so early.
Would a day during the week suit you better? I am OK for any day from Sunday on up to Friday.
Mickey -I have an 09 but it is fitted with ST's so if you want turbos bring your own!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Would a day during the week suit you better? I am OK for any day from Sunday on up to Friday.
Mickey -I have an 09 but it is fitted with ST's so if you want turbos bring your own!

Sunday's OK Stringy, but Saturday is the only day this coming week when I have no time constraints at all. What sort of time of day would you like to do it?

Mickey, you can use my drive with Turbos if you like. I can't notice much difference between ST's with the clews tight and Turbos with the clews loose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
stringy wrote:

Sunday's OK Stringy, but Saturday is the only day this coming week when I have no time constraints at all. What sort of time of day would you like to do it?

Mickey, you can use my drive with Turbos if you like. I can't notice much difference between ST's with the clews tight and Turbos with the clews loose.

OK - I won't bring my MD - it'll save me some space too. 8) :wink:
Looks like Saturday's not a goer for Stringy.
Sunday's good for me - as long as you like. :D

Mickey