Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Further to discussion started under VMG thread, I find that the Garmin fits neatly into a standard snap seal sandwich bag.

The whole thing then fits into the RAM cradle:
That should be a good enough seal to prevent water getting into the unit. The sandwich bag has one slight advantage over the Aquapac, in that the window of the Aquapac seems to dull a bit with age, whereas the sandwich bag can be replaced regularly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like it's 'cut and dried' then Chris and I am very GLAD for you ... :wink: :wink:
Say hello to Mickey for me when you see him tomorrow Chris. He was quite excited to meet up with you guys before he left here. I was initially considering going up with him on the bike, but other matters intervened unfortunately. Have fun.
Mickey tells me your 76csx is the way to go Chris and he is apparently getting one during this trip. Are you still sold on the unit and do you have an entire Aussi charts of our bays esturies and lakes in the database?..Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Mickey tells me your 76csx is the way to go Chris and he is apparently getting one during this trip. Are you still sold on the unit and do you have an entire Aussi charts of our bays esturies and lakes in the database?..Pirate

Yes Pirate, as Keith says, the more you play with the Garmin, the more you realise its potential. You have to pay extra for nautical maps (Bluecharts Pacific) - $199 buys you half of Austalia (either the Eastern half or the Southern half in our case). Mickey seemed to be suggesting he might be picking one up for you while he is here. I would recommend it as a fun toy, but you do need the Bluecharts to get the best from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Pirate wrote:

Yes Pirate, as Keith says, the more you play with the Garmin, the more you realise its potential. You have to pay extra for nautical maps (Bluecharts Pacific) - $199 buys you half of Austalia (either the Eastern half or the Southern half in our case). Mickey seemed to be suggesting he might be picking one up for you while he is here. I would recommend it as a fun toy, but you do need the Bluecharts to get the best from it.

Thanks Chris. You can advise Mickey to get one for me too then and a carrier too when you see him if he has the necessary resources with him. Maybe we could have a look at your back-up copy of Bluecharts Pacific for a couple of days....mmm.....Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Maybe we could have a look at your back-up copy of Bluecharts Pacific for a couple of days....mmm.....Pirate :wink:

I'd love to help Pirate, but Garmin has this elaborate security system involving unlock codes before you can access the charts. You even have to register the GPS on which you are going to use them. You'd think they didn't trust us :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Pirate wrote:
Maybe we could have a look at your back-up copy of Bluecharts Pacific for a couple of days....mmm.....Pirate :wink:

I'd love to help Pirate, but Garmin has this elaborate security system involving unlock codes before you can access the charts. You even have to register the GPS on which you are going to use them. You'd think they didn't trust us :roll:

Chris it is entirely up to you but if you lend Mickey your back-up copy I'll show you a way around all that stuff...Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Errr, no offense Pirate, but I've written a bit of commercial software myself in my time, so that's not really my scene :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,
Did you consider the Colorado 400c or Oregon 400c??
The Colorado is a bit dearer than the 76CSx but comes with BlueWater charts. I know it doesn't float but then again, nor is Pirate & my Olympus SW30 cameras and I can't imagine not having the GPS tethered. :roll:
Had a great ride up and looking forward to our trip tomorrow.
Pirate - do you still want me to purchase a 76CSx for you - given that you will need to outlay an additional $200 (approx) for marine maps?? :roll:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Errr, no offense Pirate, but I've written a bit of commercial software myself in my time, so that's not really my scene :)

:wink: :wink: No worries Chris...Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Chris,
The Colorado is a bit dearer than the 76CSx but comes with BlueWater charts. I know it doesn't float but then again, nor is Pirate & my Olympus SW30 cameras and I can't imagine not having the GPS tethered. :roll:
Pirate - do you still want me to purchase a 76CSx for you - given that you will need to outlay an additional $200 (approx) for marine maps?? :roll:
Mickey

Maybe I should investigate the Colorado and Oregon Mickey as per your above statement first and anyway I can get it over the net within a couple of days. I might have a word with Rob Hanna again too. Then again I could just borrow yours ..... :D
Look let it go and I will do some sniffiing around of my own first Mickey if its all the same with you.... Have fun tomorrow and next week...Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
mickeymouse wrote:
Chris,
Mickey

Maybe I should investigate the Colorado and Oregon Mickey as per your above statement first and anyway I can get it over the net within a couple of days. I might have a word with Rob Hanna again too. Then again I could just borrow yours ..... :D
Look let it go and I will do some sniffiing around of my own first Mickey if its all the same with you.... Have fun tomorrow and next week...Pirate :wink:

OK Pirate - If you manage to negotiate a good deal from Rob, please let me know asap, as it would be good to give the business to a local business that can/will provide backup support etc.
I'll try my best to have a good time this week too. :wink:
Hopefully we'll be ready to set off on our Gippsland Lakes Odyssey in early April. :wink:
Mickey
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Chris,
Mickey

No Mickey, I didn't really look at them. JIm_L seemed to give the Colorado a pretty good wrap-up on the VMG thread. One thing to consider is: Is the supplied Bluecharts on CD or microSD card? It is a big advantage being able to use Bluecharts on the PC. Anyway, we can talk about it in the morning - moderate winds forecast :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
Is the supplied Bluecharts on CD or microSD card? It is a big advantage being able to use Bluecharts on the PC.

The Bluecharts on the Colorado 400c are built into the firmware of the unit. No CD or SD card required. On the upside, that does leave the SD card slot vacant for adding additional software, or just expanding the storage.

By the way, last weekend I had a chance to sail with both the 400c and the 76Cx. The display on the 76 is much easier to read. Also, since it's still winter up here we were decked out in drysuits and insulated kayaking gloves. While the gear kept us comfortably warm & dry, the gloves did make it difficult to press buttons. I did find the buttons on the 76 much easier to manage while wearing gloves, as opposed to the flush buttons of the 400c. The wheel control of the 400c was still usable, but you do need to hit buttons to get to the wheel functions.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim_L wrote:
The Bluecharts on the Colorado 400c are built into the firmware of the unit. No CD or SD card required. On the upside, that does leave the SD card slot vacant for adding additional software, or just expanding the storage.

In that case, the Colorado is about $A100 more than the 76csx, but you save about $200 on Bluechart. That means you are paying an extra $100 to be able to load Bluechart on the PC. It's a value judgement, but I would still go with the option to use Bluechart on the PC. It's great being able to view a detailed nautical chart on a full-sized screen. I've already found that valuable in one way: There's a bay I would like to be able to launch from, but it is basically a mangrove swamp, with a maze of intertidal islands. With the Bluechart, I was able to see that there is an unmarked channel. I was able to plot a route on the PC, then download it onto the GPS, so hopefully that will enable me to negotiate the maze.
Also, if you upload a track log from a trip you have done, the track displays on the map. You can do that with Google Earth, but with the Bluechart, if you want to analyze the individual legs of the journey, each leg is highlighted on the map while you are looking at its stats. That would have been very helpful for Titan on the general kayaking forum, when he was locating his lost Mirage drive.
Also, you can put as big a microSD card as you wish in the SD slot, if you want to load additional software.
Disclaimer: I've had Bluechart a total of 3 days, so I am hardly an expert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 76csx is sounding more and more attractive Chris after reading what you and Jim have had to say.
Mickey, I will see Rob tomorrow and let you know asap....Pirate