Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The boat comes well accessorized and has several unique design features as well. Lets start out with the goodies.

Seeing all you get looks like one of those celebrity gift packages for attending the Oscars! So I made a "gift package" of all the extras that aren't stuck on the boat:
What you see here are a Mirage Drive, Turbo fins, paddle, paddle "T" handle, 2 trays, 4 Plano boxes (3 sizes), lure hangar, water bottle and removable holder.

Attached to the boat are 18" fish ruler (conveniently located next to your seat, pictured here with seat removed)...
... cutting board (directly in front of the seat), dedicated horizontal storage for 6 rods (8' 3" to 9'), vertical storage for 2 rods ( 8" pockets), replaceable equipment mounting boards (for ram mounts, fish finder, GPS, compass, etc), Hobie's first ever ambidextrous rudder control , lift / grab handles on all quarters, bath tub sized forward hatch, cargo well almost big enough for a dance floor, and of course a Cool Ride seat from which you can access almost everything without having to move.

One of the neatest features is the rudder system. The rudder retracts fully between the split hulled stern, protecting it from fish line and getting banged up. The assembly comes with a stainless spring that pivots the rudder down and forward to operate the boat.

It automatically kicks up to ride over any obstacles then springs back down. You can retract it from any position (no pre-centering needed) by simply pulling the retraction line and securing it in the Harkin cam cleat.
All fittings and bushings are through - hull so there are no to seals to maintain against water intrusion.

The control is modular and clips into either front corner of the seat.

To remove, just depress the tab and slide out. Simple yet effective. This next picture shows it partially removed:

Rudder line tension is adjustable by turning a small knob at the bottom of the control module.
The center rudder control position must be reset if the module is shifted from one side of the seat to the other, in order to have full rudder deflection in both directions. This is easily accomplished at the rudder control hatch near the stern:

To remove the seat, snap off the rudder control module, unscrew two knobs in the front, lift slightly and slide forward.

The seat has an adjustable back, but does not slide forward and backward, in spite of its appearance. If it were to slide forward it would cover the accessory hatch. It certainly doesn't need to slide back. There is enough leg room to accommodate most professional basketball players. If anything, folks with an inseam of less than 27 or 28" may find it's a bit of a stretch to reach the Mirage Drive pedals. The seat has plenty of room though to place a cushion in front of the backrest. As those already familiar with the Drive know, the pedals have a wide range of quick adjustments for a large range of leg lengths.

Speaking of the Drive, for those not familiar with it, it is a self contained propulsion unit that drops in a drivewell and locks in place. The larger Turbofins, normally an optional accessory, are included with the boat, and provide a good power match up with the size of the boat. The fins retract against the hull for shallow water and beaching.

The hull has 10 scupper holes. These also serve as structural members to stiffen the deck when standing. Built in storage areas on either side drain down to a collection area under the seat. There are four scuppers located here with plugs. The plugs need to be opened to accommodate drainage from this area. This is the lowest point in the cockpit and can be sealed with the plugs for very heavy loads.

Standing stability is excellent.
Cushioned rubber pads are provided for your feet. If the cargo well is empty, it serves as an excellent standing deck also for a lighter person for fishing, stand-up paddling or poling.
This area is not built to the same strength as the main deck though and, though I noticed no deck flexing, I'm sure Hobie is not warranting this as an authorized standing area.

The tray for the center hatch is versatile and can accommodate a variety of combinations of trays, hangars and open space. It has small drain holes so water does not accumulate.
Likewise, the forward tray drains into the hull. So if you're packing ice to keep those fish fresh and refreshments cold, you might want to put a little piece of tape in the bottom.
On the other hand, it's OK and normal for some water to enter the bilge on the PA, as with most other boats (note rod tubes below):
Drain plugs are located at the stern along with the skid pads. For the small amount that may normally enter though, I find it easiest to sponge it out when done.

Overall the boat feels very solid and sturdy. Everything is well placed for good accessibility and utility. This is a very well thought out package.

Is it just for fishermen? Heck no. You can sail it or just cruise and use it as with any other kayak or small boat. It's not as slow as you might think. If you don't fish, the Plano boxes also make excellent hardware containers, jewelry boxes for the wife (or yourself?) or portable medicine cabinets for the elderly and infirmed among us!

Next, in part III we'll look at the performance and handling on the water. 8)

Last edited by Roadrunner on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner, thanks again for educating us on the PA. What an awesome kayak. I'll be waiting for part 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:52 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Great post as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:29 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Excellent write-ups and photos for both Part I & II. Thank you very much for taking the time. I'm sure it answered many questions for many inquisitive minds.....like mine. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great write up. The only thing you left out was the optional 16" Gun Battery which converts it into the "Hobie Battleship" :D

Seriously though, do you (or anyone) have any experience with the sail kit on it yet? I'd be very interested to see how it performs under sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:36 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes, that will be included in the next part. Unfortunately it may be a few days until I can get it put together. But in the meantime, here are a couple of teasers:

How about those torpedo tubes sitting under the front hatch? :lol:

Talk about capacity, I had a chance to make a quick trash run. Without the foredeck guns, it makes quite a nice heavy hauler.
Notice the buoy sticking out the side, complete with lines and concrete anchors, not to mention several paint containers up to 5 gal and a range fan. The load almost filled up a Pick up truck bed. Didn't phase the boat at all except for the poor forward visibility. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Roadrunner, is that you standing in the PA with the sunglasses? Just curious. From the photo, standing on the one side it really looks stable. Of course, if that were me it would surely tilt alittle more with the extra baggage I'm carrying. But not much more. Lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

No, that's a store manager from the Hobie dealership in Temecula (a little town North of here). The guy paddling is a local fly fisherman who is always standing up to fish, and I'm the guy with the hardest job -- sailing! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey RR,
Great post, as usual! Now for the big question. Have you purchased another Hobie, or was this a loaner from your local dealer--I'm guessing the latter. I have yet to see the boat, but I'm still waiting for the light weight Mirage Drive yak in carbon fiber or something similar. Some folks are never satisfied... :roll:
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach wrote:
Hey RR,
Great post, as usual! Now for the big question. Have you purchased another Hobie, or was this a loaner from your local dealer
--I'm guessing the latter. I have yet to see the boat, but I'm still waiting for the light weight Mirage Drive yak in carbon fiber or something similar. Some folks are never satisfied... :roll:
Best,
Dick

That was my question. I cant wait till I can afford one. The economy would have to turn right when I want a knew Yak.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Apalach wrote:
Have you purchased another Hobie, or was this a loaner from your local dealer--I'm guessing the latter.

Don't I wish! With an Adventure, AI and Oasis, my garage overhead is full. Additionally, the local dealer stores some of his demo fleet at my place because of his space limitations. In exchange for this, he lets me use them if available. I just can't customize them. :lol: Pretty cool deal for both of us! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:53 pm 
Hobie Team Member

It doesn't llok to me that you can fit rods in there with reels attached....

unless..

You stagger them at least the width of the reel.

How much space from the rack holder to:

A. A point aft of the holder where rods would butt up?

B. a point forward from the holder to end of the rod tubes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:40 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

From the Hobie website:
Sorry Dan, they took the boat away :( so I can't provide any more measurements. The top holder is high enough so that we got a 9" fly rod and reel in -- it just extended out to the deck a few inches, but still strapped in. Obviously, depending on the length of your rod, you can slide it forward or back to suit -- I measured a minimum of 8' 3" (total rod length) for the lower (shortest) holders. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:26 am 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks for the confirm on staggering.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:28 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Hey RR,

Excellent post. I just picked my Pro Angler up last weekend. Even though I have one in my gauge Your post cleared somthings up for me...

Thanks'

salmontim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!