Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lower Back Issues???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Gang,

What a great froum. I've been reading the forum for a few days now. Am interested in getting an AI.

Will leave the Jersey Shore in two weeks for my new life in Fl. Cape Coral. On a canal off the Caloosahatchee River.

I've been sailing for 43 years on all kinds of boats and windsurfers all over the place from Canada to the BVI.

But I've never sat in a Yak.

I have a bad back. I can sit in an office chair but I have to eat standing up. Leaning forward is not fun. And I'm big, 5'11" and 235#.

Wondering how comfy the AI is.

Not planing on any blue water but after reading Keith's posts that could change :lol:

Thanks,
Mondo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Mondo,
Because of the AI is built for pedalling, rather than paddling, the seat is semi-reclined. I find this very easy on the lower back, certainly easier than "normal" kayaks. You don't find many complaints on this forum about back problems and a lot of the forum members spend long periods at a time in their boats. We're not all in the first bloom of youth either :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Chris,
"Semi-reclined" sounds good. Glad you haven't heard complaints about lower back pain.
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom - on a slightly different subject, the i-Comfort seat is a great addition to the standard seat and certainly makes sitting on your fanny for a long time much more comfortable :wink:
I actually use it in conjunction with the standard seat.
It also has the additional benefit of keeping your fanny much dryer in all but the most extreme sailing scenarios - when nothing will prevent you from getting wet all over :P :lol: :D :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

Post subject: Re: Lower Back Issues???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mondo wrote:
Hi Gang,

What a great froup. I've been reading the forum for a few days now. Am interested in getting an AI.

Will leave the Jersey Shore in two weeks for my new life in Fl. Cape Coral. On a canal off the Caloosahatchee River.

I've been sailing for 43 years on all kinds of boats and windsurfers all over the place from Canada to the BVI.

But I've never sat in a Yak.

I have a bad back. I can sit in an office chair but I have to eat standing up. Leaning forward is not fun. And I'm big, 5'11" and 235#.

Not planing on any blue water but after reading Keith's posts that could change :lol:

Thanks,
Mondo

Hi Mondo, & Welcome Aboard! Like you, I'd been sailing for many years, and had only sat in a yak one time. I found that one (standard sit-inside & paddle type) to feel very "tippy". While I probably would've gotten better with time, it didn't leave me with an overwhelming desire to pursue it as a hobby. Even with the amas left at home, the Adventure kayak is a nice, stable craft.

I'm about 6 ft, and was also around 235 when I first got my AI. The AI has helped me bring that down to a pretty stable 220-225, without any other changes to my lifestyle. Small side benefit, in addition to the incredibly fun time I have sailing it. I've found the AI to be the most fun I've had on the water in 36 years of sailing. Right up there with flying a hull on my Hobie-16 when I was 18 years old. As for sitting in the AI, I've found it to be quite comfortable. You can adjust the angle of the seatback to a position that suits you. As Chris said, most seem to find a semi-reclined position best for peddling. Sometime I'll tighten it up to a more upright position just for a change. It's easy to adjust on the fly, so you're not "stuck" with whatever you launch with. As I'm sure you've read elsewhere in the forum, the AI is one of the most flexible & versatile boats on the water. Paddle it, peddle it, or sail it. It's just plain fun.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mickey,
Thanks, I checked it out.
Nice item, hadn't seen it. That would keep the butt a little dryer. Looking forward to getting wet as well. Like the old windsurfing days. Too old for that now. Don't think the joints would be ok.

Sail Yaking sounds cool.

This is a nice group.
Tom
aka
Mondo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jim L,
for the response!
This sounds like the boat, recreation, I would like on the River tween Ft Myers and Cape Coral!

Also, there's a lock, in the SW portion of Cape Coral that leads to nice smooth runs N and S, E and W in smooth water. Just dreaming! Been in em in a slow stink pot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mondo- I also have a bad back and the AI is pretty easy on it for both pedaling and sailing.

I have a regular kayak as well and it hurts my back constantly. I don't even use it anymore, the AI is just all around more fun and more comfortable.

Most Hobie dealers will let you demo one before you buy it so I'd recommend trying it out a few times first to see if it's comfortable for you.

(As to you being pretty big at 5'11" and 235#, don't worry, I'm 6'1" and was 270# when I first got the AI. The AI has gotten me down to 250# and hasn't asked me to "get off 'er" yet! It can handle the weight and is so much fun you don't realize you're exercising.)

Post subject: Re: Lower Back Issues???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mondo wrote:
Hi Gang,

Thanks,
Mondo

Hi Mondo,

If I have been sailing in light air and paddling at the same time I do sometimes feel an ache right down at the base of my spine, I think its a sciatic thing and I believe its caused by over reaching on the pedals, bringing the seat into a more upright position didnt help but stuffing an old rag behind my lower back alleviated the discomfort while I was sailing. I have tried moving the cranks closer to me but it feels 'funny'
Noone else has complained of this that i know of. Also people with chronic knee pain say that peddalling has actually helped their condition, whereas sometimes I get a bit achey in the knee too.

All these minor problems occur when i am pumping along in marginal winds with the full rig (amas, sail etc...) and trying to maintain enough momentum to keep 2 rappallas jigging along 30 meters behind me. If there more than 5 knots of wind I'm just fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Tom - on a slightly different subject, the i-Comfort seat is a great addition to the standard seat and certainly makes sitting on your fanny for a long time much more comfortable :wink:
I actually use it in conjunction with the standard seat.
It also has the additional benefit of keeping your fanny much dryer in all but the most extreme sailing scenarios - when nothing will prevent you from getting wet all over :P :lol: :D :wink:

Mickey, Here's an extra little enhancement I've found useful. I use the i-Comfort seat stacked on the standard seat too. It's much dryer, but I was finding there was still a bit of water collecting in the angle between the back of the seat and the base. I don't use the seat scupper plugs. Anyway, I found with a length of pool noodle cut in half lengthways, I can now sit completely out of the water. It's a bit more comfortable too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Fols,

Nice to see some other bigger people able to enjoy this boat.

Will definitley try it out first. I take it the dealers have demo boats on hand.

Tom (Mondo)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All the dealers in NWFL seemed to have demo boats when I was out shopping. I'd imagine most in your area do, especially if they are near the water.

You can use the dealer finder on Hobie's website and call around to be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

His area dealership is Estero River Outfitters. Good people, I have bought a couple of boats from them. They also run a rental operation.

Mondo, try renting an Adventure or AI from them and pedaling it down to the bay and back. Kayaks may seem comfortable for 5 minutes but be torture after 30. Just depends on the boat and the person. If they don't have one available, contact me and I'll let you play with my wife's boat. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Weinerdog,
Tom, yes Estero River Outfitters is closest to me. I will def try before buy. Probably 2x!

Thanks,
Mondo