Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Capsizing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't attached myself to the AI as yet but can see the merit of it in the unlikely event you fall out.

If I did I would not be too concerned of being towed along behind as my experience is these little craft have very little enertia and will stop almost immediately there is any sort of drag in the water.

You could however attach a clip to the furling line which you could clip to yourself. If you went over, the weight on the line would simply furl the main effectively cutting off the horsepower...Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

there have been a couple of times that have leashed myself to the AI...just in case...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

drgatsea wrote:
I capsized twice in one day last year. One wave caught me sideways and rolled me over. The other wave was bigger. I went right at it. It stood the AI straight up and drove it over on it's back.

Did you find it difficult to right the A1 in such waves? I can understand why you felt the need to be unrestrained as you hit the water.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was in an area of large breaking waves offshore. Righting the AI is not difficult. The problem was extending the amas, locking them and getting in the boat before the next wave would knock me over again. Being around the boat was dangerous when the waves were breaking on me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Drgatsea, I can imagine that must have been quite scary and challenging.

I think it would probably be useful for me to force a capsize so I can learn how to right it properly. My problem is that years ago I was kayaking down a river and it flipped at the bottom of a weir and got stuck under the branch of a tree. I managed to get out okay but I did get a helluva fright. Ever since, I am wary of surprises and like to know what to expect.

Reading the posts here and the various accounts of different incidents is a great help because it explains what happens and the ingenuity used to make things right again. The rudder pin and the brace collapse are examples of routine failures that I fully understood thanks to the posts and knew what to do. I found both relatively easy to handle because of this better understanding.

One of the great lessons from this forum is being properly prepared and knowing what to do. It certainly beats the hell out of winging it.

You mentioned that it was diffiult to get yourself setup after the first capsize while trying to avoid a second. Do you think it would have been possible to pedal to calmer water with the aka's folded so you could get yourself sorted or was it simply a case of large waves all around you?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Falling out of and AI while tethered to it. Quite a novel way to troll for sharks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There really was no calmer water. I made a big mistake going out. It was bad. Small craft warnings are for real.

I was trying to peddle out of the area when the big wave got me. I could see it coming from a distance. As it got closer, it looked like a house coming at me. It flipped the AI over like a bathtub toy. Being on the face of that wave, knowing I was going to be under it with the boat on top of me, was a horrible feeling.

I am still amazed and thankful that I did not get hurt. I wrote about this in the forum in May of 08. At the time I wondered if the AI had some design flaws because the amas collapsed. If they hadn't, they probably would have been twisted off. The design protected the boat. And as I said then, the AI is much tougher than you would ever believe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Falling out of and AI while NOT tethered to it. Quite a novel headline "search terminated, body never recovered".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Watching this thread is interesting and thought provoking. I do not like to imagine being left behind watching the AI sail off into the distance, but extra lanyards laying around makes for extra work are also a hastle possibly causing a drama in itself. Keeping it simple is usually the key.
My above suggestion of attaching the end of the furling line to myself as a lanyard isn't such a bad one as it keeps the system simple and will possibly furl the main in the event of a man-overboard situation. I would need a secure knot around the furl drum so the end attachment would be strong. Also I will need to replace the supplied sheet as it would not be long enough as is and attach a clip, but that aside, can anyone see any other reason why that would not be a worthy process?...Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That seems like a workable suggestion to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
but extra lanyards laying around makes for extra work are also a hastle possibly causing a drama in itself.

Using a surfboard leash, setup well, shouldn't feel like extra work or a threat to safety.

Mine is 9' long and attached to the left of the rear aka support and when not in use, the "captain's" end velcroed around the left strap of the seat. I don't completely remove the seat, so it's always there ready to use with no additional setup time (plus I can't forget it!). All of the line is coiled up, held by a soda can cuzi.

I never wear it launching or landing. I choose to wear it when out solo, or with others when the waves get big enough to be a concern.

Notice below, that I only pull out enought "line" for the full pedal stroke so there is not a lot of out to catch on anything. With a little practice, I can put it on when it gets rough, one handed, without stopping or taking my eyes off conditions. If I were to leave the boat, the full 9' will release putting me about 2' behind the stern but within reach of anywhere on the boat. I used it once while changing a rudder pin from in the water (not recommended) and it was the prefect length to keep me at the best working distance of the transom area while treading water.

If you really want to test the effect of you being overboard with your boat sailing away (without getting wet), try deploying a drift chute and then sailing. Bet you don't make much better speed than the current, and we're all much bigger (and more drag) than a regular drift chute.

I once forgot my leash, when it was removed while changing seats, and I felt naked out in the waves not attached. I would not choose to go very far off shore without one. But, to each his own!

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, you think of everything and have the AI down to a science. Thumps Up!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great post and pics Bob and I would say the lanyard is an absolutely essential bit of equipment in the environment you play in. I see the furling sheet in your pictures just laying there doing nothing Bob and I value you opinion of my thoughts of alternatively puting it to good work and duel purpose by say attaching it to your leg in a similar manner to your lanyard, or alternatively taking it up to a harness or simply clipping it around your waist.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I see the furling sheet in your pictures just laying there doing nothing

doing nothing! :shock: :o :)

Mine's always working! So much so, that we tie it to the sheet line to make easier to use.

When running downwind we can let out a bit more sail, but be ready to dump some during gusts. On a reach, a good balance will cut fighting with the rudder, at least until gusts.

I wouldn't want to be leashed to either line because without the other line uncleated, it's not going to move much or effect much change. Owww!

Originally I thought of attaching the sheetline to my PFD, but all I could picture is it ripping the D ring off the PFD or the whole PFD off my body! (A surfboard leash is meant to take some of the shock and spread out the rest to your ankle.

To finally put this all to rest, you could do the rest of us some valuable testing. Attach a surfboard from your AI to Mickey in the water and then try to sail. Pic's please! :lol:

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob C.

I tried to find the leash you use on the website of the store that was on your coze and could find it. Do you have a link to that leash on their website?

Thanks

Bob L.