Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have just aquired an 1980 Hobie 16. It is in somewhat good shape except for the rudder cams. Both cams are cracked at the top and will not open when lifting the tiller arm. They are in real bad shape. I need to replace them but can't seem to know how to get them off. Are the new ones the same style? Do I have to replace the whole rudder casting assembly? HELP!

Scott from Lake Champlain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Scott - If the cams have never been replaced before you'll have to drill out the rivet that holds them in. You can then replace the rivet with sister screws when you put the new cam in. You'll find the sister screws in the Hobie catalog.

Be careful drilling out the rivet, you don't want to take too much material off of the casting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

Scott From Lake Champlain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Scott there is a handy little kit you can buy to totally redo your cams on your boat. It includes new cams the new springs and balls that create the resistance on the cams. I just did it last year on my 69 hobi took bout 10 minutes to do them both its really easy. Just get a drill bit that will fit exactly over the rivet falnges that hold it into the casting. Then just start drilling slowly till you prety much destory the flange of the rivet. Stop at that point and just tap it out with another drill bit that exactly fits or a peice of pipe or soemthing. Make sure you grease up the new balls that fit over the spring and push up from under neath on the cam. Then you just replace those cam rivits with the sister screws that came with the rebuild kit and your all set.
Lee