Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If your AI has the newer mast base with the male connection in the base rather than on the mast, I highly recommend you check these screws to make sure they are tight and secure. I finally got around to replacing one that loosened and fell out on mine and discovered that the other 3 were also about to fall out. I took all mine out and put them back in with locktite.

I don't know what would happen structurally if they all worked out, but it's probably better to be safe and not find out the hard way!

Matt- Is this a potential safety issue? If so, is it something that can be remedied on the assembly line for new boats? None of the screws on mine had locktite or lockwashers, maybe it is something that can be added.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey!!! Thanks Weinerdog. I found a screw on the roof of my car the other day and I looked all over the boat (I thought) and couldn't see where it came from. I just had a look in the mast receiver and yep, there it was (or rather wasn't), just like yours. I'm off to tighten the beejaysus out of them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

addendum: The other three screws were loose in mine also. Gotta get some Loctite.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Good catch... I'll pass along the info to the factory.

I have made an entry in the "AI Tech Notes" on this. Thanks weinerdog!

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5958

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
Hey!!! Thanks Weinerdog. I found a screw on the roof of my car the other day and I looked all over the boat (I thought) and couldn't see where it came from. I just had a look in the mast receiver and yep, there it was (or rather wasn't), just like yours. I'm off to tighten the beejaysus out of them.

Me too... thanks for the tip.

By the way, I noticed some of the plastic ball bearings at the top of the mast collar have disappeared.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Upyaboya wrote:
By the way, I noticed some of the plastic ball bearings at the top of the mast collar have disappeared.

Upyaboya, cant find the original post but this problem was covered extensively about a year or more ago, I had the same problem. i think the cause was protruberence around the bolt holes on the underside of the mast collar caused by pillar drilling in the factory. The fix was simple, remove the bolts that hold the collar in place and remove it. Sand down the underside of the collar so that its uniformly smooth, replace your balls :D then screw it back in place. Worked wonders for me, never had a problem since. I was lucky all my balls :D fell into the mast base receiver, so I didnt lose any!!! Funny reply but I think you get what I mean!

Philip

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately this problem with loose mast balls is still occuring. :(
My newest AI, an 09 about 6 months old, recently suffered this problem. All the balls were in the receiver fortunately.
I tried Yakaholics sanding solution with some success although there is still a section of the ball retainers that I can't tighten down enough to stop the balls falling out. Pool noodle fits nicely into the mast receiver and I always transport the kayak with noodle in place.
Yakaholics fix here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8149

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie needs to make a mast base "cassett" like they have for the drive slot.

This could be locked into place and left there when the mast is not up. then all of the parts would stay where they are suposed to be.

Sending them out to all of the AI owners would be cool too. Free of course.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:00 am 
Site Admin

This is a very close tolerance item. I suggest checking the screws from time to time. We will have the factory review here.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Philip1el wrote:
Upyaboya wrote:

Upyaboya, I was lucky all my balls :D fell into the mast base receiver, so I didnt lose any!!! Funny reply but I think you get what I mean!

Philip

Must be fault friendly design by Hobie....luckily all but one of my balls :lol: fell into the mast base receiver as well so I was able to place them back in the receptacle.

I will certainly try the remedy you suggested Philip because spare parts in my part of the World are not easy.

By the way Stringy, pray tell what is a 'pool noodle' for I feel certain it's not the latest addition at the Kowloon Kwik Takeaway in the local village. Hung Foo seems to have no idea what I'm talking about :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upyaboya,
This from Wiki:
'A pool noodle (also known as a water log) is a cylindrical piece of polyethylene foam, sometimes hollow. Pool noodles may used by people of all ages while swimming. They are useful when learning to swim, for floating, for rescue reaching, in various forms of water play, and for aquatic exercise. Pool noodles are particularly useful to support amateur snorklers.'

I always carry a few lengths in the hull.

Just cut off a short bit and insert it in the mast receiver.

After losing the balls once I wouldn't transport my AI's without it! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stringy, that's very helpful. Seems a sensible and simple way to stop the balls from falling out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Forgot to insert my noodle last yesterday on the way home. My balls are still intact but I heard something falling onto the roof during the drive home. Found 2 screws had fallen out of the mast receiver. I've got some replacements on their way from my helpful dealer. Going to loctite the little beggers in....