Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me crew better
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

OK folks, I need tips on how to be the best I can be as a crew in H20. This weekend we were doing windward/leward racing and here is what I was doing.

Upwind: daggers all the way down, add some tension to downhaul, tighten outhaul, barber hauler undone, jib traveler all the way in, sheet in, trap out.

Downwind: daggers up, ease downhaul, ease outhaul, barberhauler out, jib traveler out, set sheets, weight foward.

I did not even touch the mast rotation control - where should that be set? I need some good go-fast instructions and thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Help me crew better
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As a new skipper to the 20 that races with pickup crew, I could use some tips also. Tips like a check list for windward/ leeward rounding jobs for both skipper and crew. I never realized how busy it is up there for a boat with no spin. Last weekend I'm sure I drove my crew nuts going around top mark barking orders, "Boards up! No wait jib out! No barberhaulers!" He was like what the hell? After things settled I told him the first job he has to master is to read my mind.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Crew checklist
On-the-beach: Diamond wire tension (set to average expected conditions), Jib traveler inboard v. out (farther out for heavier air, average setting is about handswidth away from hiking straps) and fore v. aft (heavy air move aft to open the slot up top, optimally the tells break at the same time), preset the cascading downhaul for expected conditions, make sure the trap line stop is set properly.
Upwind: Daggerboards down, Jib downhaul tight, Main downhaul set (lines equal on each side) adjust for wind, Barber hauler uncleated, Mast rotation (average setting points to shroud). We don't really mess with the outhaul anymore unless real light and going deep.
Rounding Windward Mark: As we approach the mark; Off the trap wire, Pull windward daggerboard up (marked with a sharpie), as the boat rounds the mark; sheet out the jib and set barber hauler (cleat the jib until finished with other settings), release the downhaul (remember to cleat and even up the line before rounding leeward mark), release the mast rotation, pull up remaining daggerboard, release the jib downhaul, cleat other barber hauler, take position on leeward side of boat and adjust the jib accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yea, lots of spaghetti on the tramp. What the heck do you do with all of it? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mast rotation- you definitely want to be adjusting this for upwind vs. downwind in anything but super-windy conditions. All the way off for downwind (use a positive mast rotator). Upwind between the end of the rear crossbar and the shroud.

Downhaul- you definitely want to have a good system set up so that you can adjust this from the wire. Going upwind, you should have easy access to the jib sheet and downhaul line as both of these may need to be adjusted if it's windy. Play the downhaul in the gusts to keep the hull flying without the skipper having to oversteer or adjust the mainsheet- and this requires that the crew is looking for puffs and lulls outside of the boat.

I always found myself helping the crew with a lot of the tasks during upwind/downwind transitions. On my 18, I still do many of the "chores" myself just because I think it's more important that they get done rather than worring about who gets them done. I'd rather have my crew focusing on keeping the jib flying during a mark rounding rather than being fixated on getting the downhaul or rotator set just right. So if we're rounding the weather mark and I get the main set and the boat on course and the crew is just finished trimming the jib and is working on getting the dagger board up, I'll probably just reach forward and pop the downhaul rather than asking them to stop what they're doing.

sm

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scuzzlebutt,

Great thread!! I just put together a list of around $200 worth of stuff to fix some of the equipment issues. This should make crewing easier next time. I'm ordering on Tuesday morning, Mariner usually gets stuff to me the next day. We'll get some more practice in before the Sand Snakes on Memorial Day. Your skipper needs it more that you! You did a great job last weekend. :lol:

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MVD:

Let me know when its "work day" on the boat - I will meet you somewhere to tag-team all those chores.

Also, I hope you got the trailer detached. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I crewed on a Hobie 20 with Wayne "da legend" Shaffer for 3 1/2 years. What a great time! I then got my own 20 and sailed with Eileen for about 5 years before getting into the Formula 18s.

First of all make the boat really crew friendly so they do not get hurt, bruised, or bloody in anyway. I feel the jib traveler wire is the first thing to go. Make it line and cover with something soft.

We made a list of things to do at mark roundings. First things are to make sure the boat will not go over, then things that make the boat go fast. Do the things in order from most speed gained to least.

Coming to the weather mark, ease the jib before you go in from the wire so the boat can stay in control with just the skipper out. As she came on the boat she:
2. Lifted the weather daggerboard.
3. Downhaul off.
4. Rotator off
5. Barberhaul to leeward tight.
6. Stay on the low side and trim sail. (Fire Hose Position)
7. Lift other board when there is time.

A skipper cannot ask much of a crew while sailing downwind as there is not much a crew can see with all the spray going everywhere. Skipper adjusts their weight to be able to "wildthing".

Rounding Leeward mark:
1. Put daggerboards down with plenty of time to finish all other tasks.
2. Rotator back in upwind position.
3. Downhaul on.
4. While at the mark and rounding blow barberhauler and sheet jib to match rounding.
5. Should be on high side ready to trap out.

Fill in the extra steps. I have not been on a 20 for about 5 years so I might be missing something.

Later,
Dan