Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rudder down rope shreded
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On my latest trip the grey rope of the rudder up/down control system shreded that should holds the rudder down. At first I thought another rudder pin cracked when I lost rudder control, but trying to release the rudder showed that there was all tension lost.
Although I already check the ropes before starting, I did not detect anything unusual that should have indicated problems.
Unfortunatly I forgot to take a picture, and now the boat is nearly 2000 km away for me for the next 4 weeks, but as far as I remember there was no trace of the rope on the rudder site.
After changing the rudder control system in May last year I used my 2007 AI approximately 100 hours.
Does anybody has similar experiences? Do you change ropes periodically?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AxelH sorry to hear of your misfortune, my AI is about the same age as yours, I also did the rudder up down conversion when it came out. I ordered an extra 20' of the spectra at that time as a precaution. Last year when the stainless cables on my windrider 16 became inoperable I used the spectra as replacements and its holding up very well so I have faith in the spectra. I would carefully inspect the area your breakage occurred for any roughness that might abrade your line. The line is very inexpansive and from your location I would sumise you have the same problem getting parts as I do, so I try to plan ahead.

best regards and fair winds

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you using it in Salt or Freshwater?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm using my AI in Saltwater (also seeing the issue with the corrosion on the aluminium parts although cleaning the boat with fresh water befor ending my 2 - 4 weeks holidays where I enjoy using the AI 4 times a year nearly every second day; during that time the AI is placed bottom up at the beach when not in touch with the sea).