Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yet Another New Member
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just thought that I would make myself known to you all. Only got the AI a month or so ago and already clocking up some good K's. I find forums like these are invaluable at getting an independent view on products. I went through most of the threads prior to buying the AI to find out the problems and now that I have purchased one, the threads are pretty spot on, ie: my rudder pin broke on 2nd outing, seat pins pop out of holes, stuff like that. I think we all must admit, these problems are all pretty trivial and can be easily fixed.

In general though I'm just lov'n it, and like you, can't wait for the weekends. I sail out of Lake Macquarie NSW and even though I haven't seen another AI yet on the lake, I've heard that they are out there. Hopefully we can meet up through this forum and organise something.

Looking forward to chatting to you all.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Our numbers are growing :D

Yellow or red one?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like yours, Yellow. Yeh, pretty happy with the whole package really. I found some tape at Bunnings which is almost identical to the colour so I've plastered some at the front and back underside collision points to minimise the scratching. Can hardly see it. I saw your post and I know what you mean about the logistics around the yard etc. Take up a bit of room hey. I have been putting it on the roof of the car as well but I'm already sick of it. Made up a 'Rack and Roll' type extension to my roof rack which works pretty good but it's still a bit of a hassle.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmmm, the tape could be a good idea. Just know where to get hold of some nice yellow floor marking tape....

I've built a rack against the fence for storage. The hull sits upsidedown and the armas hang in seat belt webbing just above. I put a tarp over the lot to keep the weather off. I'll try and take a pic on the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't taken any photos yet either. I'll try to do the same at the weekend. We'll have to arrange a 1/2 way sail, perhaps launch in at Hawksberry River bridge and sail / peddle up towards Wisemans Ferry ?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That could be a plan. I best complete my Sea Acceptance Trials, and dare say find some warmer yackking attire....

Probably not the best time of year to get out on the water but I used to sail down in Victoria and I've seen movies of guys using their kayaks as ice breakers, so I've not going to let a mild Sydney winter stop me. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I spose I feel pretty confident whilever land is only swimming distance away and I haven't ventured outside ( ocean ) yet. That's why the Halksberry and similar is about my level at the moment. My wife pestered me to get a PFD so I picked one up on ebay the other day and will give it a go this weekend. I also picked up a wetsuit so I can't wait to plough through some decent waves. Is your intension to sail around in the Harbour or where. ?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day and welcome Slaughter,
I sail on Brisbane Water a lot or team up with Chrisj for some more adventurous trips. We have found Patonga to be a great launching site and have sailed to Maitland Bay and down Pittwater. Here we are returning on a gusty afternoon from Scotland Island:
Might see you or CGM on the water sometime! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great Picture!

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice pic Stringy :D

What's the minimum number of AI's to consitute a "fleet" :)

I'm looking at having a play around the Parramatta & Lane Cove Rivers, Sydney Harbour (the quieter spots to start with) and Pittwater. Christmas I'll be heading down near Wilsons Promontary in Victoria.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeh I don't know what constitutes a fleet but whatever it is, count me in. With that great photo Stringy, are there any pointers on buying a camera suitable for what we do ?
By the way, thanks for the welcome fellas.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
Great Picture!

Kayaking Bob

Bob, that picture could be an advertisement for your sprayshield! It certainly proved its worth that day.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Slaughter. If you're interested in launching in the Hawkesbury, Brooklyn is a great launch site. It's close to Cowan Creek and Broken Bay to the East, or you can travel West up the river, although it tends to be more pedalling than sailing in that direction.
Here's another great shot Stringy took off Box Head, Broken Bay. He's the one with the good waterproof camera, so I always get to be the subject :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
any pointers on buying a camera suitable for what we do ?

I'm not up to date with the latest technology. Some of the recent pics/clips posted on the forum (Skymax and Phil's in particular) have been amazing. 8)
Image stabilization technology has become so advanced that the roughest of sailing experiences appear smooth!
My camera is just a Canon Ixus 30 about 6 years old. It is not a waterproof model but it is housed in a dedicated Canon waterproof case. My last so-called water-resistant camera eventually leaked which is why I prefer the separate waterproof case. It has coped with some extreme conditions very well!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Yeh I don't know what constitutes a fleet but whatever it is, count me in. With that great photo Stringy, are there any pointers on buying a camera suitable for what we do ?
By the way, thanks for the welcome fellas.

Slaughter - welcome aboard!! I am just returning from two weeks in NZ. Very pretty - lots of lakes and rivers but not an AI in sight :o However it is kinda cool down south at present!! Anyhow enough of the tourist stuff - I wanted to respond to your inquiry re camera...........

My old mate Pirate and I both have the Olympus SW30. Check out the specs - you'll find it's pretty amazing!! Waterproof, takes great photos and video. Nice and small etc. Not sure who, but someone else on the forums recommended it to us :roll:

If/when you are heading down to Wilson's prom you might want to hook up with us and check out our fantastic Gippsland Lakes. :wink:

ChrisJ and Stringy extended their hospitality to me when I was in Sydney in March.

Look forward to catching up sometime - either up your neck of the woods or down ours.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008