Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ya'll
We went out to T-Bay to escape the heat in town yesterday and had a great time. If you ever get the chance to kayak here dont pass it up.
"Tomales Bay is a 15-mile long, 6780-acre tidal water body located in rural west Marin County, California. " "It is the largest unspoiled coastal embayment on the coast of California. "

My Iron Donkey at Tomales Bay State Park.

Launch beach.

Jacks Beach

Room with a view

Looking South from Jacks Beach at our summer home :-)

Looking North from Jacks Beach through the crowd.

Lots of critters at lo-tide so watch your step.

Sea snail.

Starfish in the intertidal zone

Floatsam and Jetsam

Hog Island in the distance.

Back at the Launch 6.00pm, 14 miles 3 hours and change (GPS)

Loading it backup for the two hour drive back home.

Have fun out there
Kepnutz

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice pictures and comments Kepnutz. You always do a great job. I am glad you posted some new pictures. A few weeks ago I was looking for some of your earlier posts, but it appears the pictures were lost during the conversion to the new forum platform. Last summer, I had asked you some questions and received a gracious reply. Unfortunately, I didn't make it out there last summer, but would like to get there this summer.

If I recall correctly, you are launching at Heart's Desire beach? If so, I also recall you saying that it fills up early and doesn't accommodate a trailer very well. If I am incorrect in any of these assumptions, please let me know.

On a related note, have you every launched near the old Marconi Conference Center? A HobieCat sailor told me about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Ref :D
You are correct..we prefer to launch at Hearts Desire Beach in Tomales Bay State Park for many reasons.
There is a beautiful park setting at Hearts with bathrooms, showers , fresh water, many barbecue pits, swim area, hiking trails lawn, shaded trees and picnic benches.
The most senic part of the 15 mile long Bay is on the western shoreline side ,as is the park, so there is no need to paddle across the bay before seeing the sights.
I believe trailers are ok but all craft must be hand carted to the water south of the swimming area and there is no launch ramp.
We have never launched from the Marconi/opposite side as we prefer to paddle the western shoreline.
There are several sites to launch along Hiway One but most folks launching there seem to just cross the bay to a beach or two and go back, we prefer to paddle along the length of the bay as far as we can and as conditions and time allow before heading back .
Have a good one
Kepnutz

Last edited by kepnutz on Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info. Very helpful and I look forward to giving it a try. One more question. Is it safe to go out alone there? (wind, tide, etc.). I probably need to check it out before I take my wife . I love a new adventure, but if I don't offer a well planned outing, she is less likely to enjoy herself.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey ya Ref.. :wink:
I'll gladly join you sometime if you can let me know in advance and you want some company. There are always risks involved in the great outdoors and its often safer and better with the buddy system, however I do see the solo paddlers out there too.
The park opens at 8am so look for a morning high tide to launch with, on the day you plan to go... then you will travel further along the route with less effort, Heres a good tide predictor site that we always use .http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.d ... sites.html.
At least you will not have to battle the tidal current on the way out which can be pretty exhausting if you get it wrong .
At best you will see miles of unspoiled beaches and coastline with little traffic. Keep your eye on the high tide time zone on your route and use it to add some speed to the return trip.
Good luck Ref Keep me posted. :wink:
Kepnutz

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Kep,

Love your new summer home -- glad to see you're movin up! You know what they say about location! :wink:

Nice pics -- glad to see you're out on the water again! 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Kep,

I would love the company and will undoubtedly appreciate your experience with the area. Let's try to coordinate a trip out there.

Thanks!

Last edited by rferre2000 on Tue May 26, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya Roadie !
Yes, thats some location, maybe the state will sell it to balance the budget...but there's no hot and cold water, granite countertops or electrickery which makes it a tough sale.
:lol:
First mate is off again for the summer so I'm Looking forward to as many Kayak trips as we can fit in plus still doing my MTB Riding / Road Bike Riding / Hobie Cat Sailing / Sailboarding and Wave Surfing activities as well.
Hope all is well on your end of town and thanks for all your super posts and tips as always ! :wink:
Cheers
Kepnutz

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ref
That sounds like a good plan to me..!
I will check the June tide forecasts and send you an E-Mail with some of my best guess/choices weather not withstanding etc>
Take it easy :wink:
Kepnutz