Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fish Finder Problem
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a new 2009 Revo, and went to plug in my fishfinder (Eagle 250) and it would not turn on. My 2ND TIME USING IT!! I checked the obvious stuff, battery power and correct connections. However, there were 2 things i noticed that might be a problem.

#1) The dealer install cut a little opening for wires to go out from the battery inside the watertight container, and it looks like it was too tight, and a tiny bit of the red wire is exposed.

#2) One of the metal plug-in needles in the fish-finder was bent. I didn't notice this the 1st time, but it worked. I bent it back and plugged/unplugged the wires a few times. It does not appear to be weakened or on the verge of breaking off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Obviously something like this I"m on my own with since it would be silly to send a kayak back to a dealer to redo wiring, etc.

Post subject: Re: Fish Finder Problem
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a similar problem with my fishfinder recently after a long trip on salt water. Discovered that the fuze was corroded. Buffed both ends with fine sandpaper and it worked like a charm. Since you are working with low voltage even a slight bit of corrosion will cause big problems. If that is not the problem, borrow an ohm meter and check all wires for a complete circuit. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:07 am 
Hobie Team Member

I've had the same problem caused by the fuse. It didn't look corroded, just dull. Cleaned it up, put some dielectric grease on it and had no more issues. What kind of battery are you using?

Also had a bent pin that I straightened out and it was fine.

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys! I'll check the fuse and see if that works. The battery is a 12V Crown Embassy. It charges fine, so it has to be the wiring or the fuse. And Mcat, that makes me feel better about the bent pin knowing it'll work alright hopefully.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The pins get bent when the plug sticks and you force the plug in crooked. At out shop we always greese the plugs when doing an install so they go in and out like butter. Did you check the pins for voltage with an electrical testor? That would be first and then track the current back to where it is interupted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It was the fuse. I bought a new pack of them, and its back in business. Did some preventative maintenance by electrical taping the exposed wire, making a bigger hole for the wires when the battery container is closed, and made a cool contraption out of cut-up foam noodles to hold the battery & container so it doesn't slide around. I appreciate the help!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In the past, I have blown many fuses. I changed how my battery is stored. I took a plano container and a soft coors light bag (comes free with 36 pack). In the plano box, my battery/wires/etc is stored. I cut a hole in the plano and attached a trailer connection mount to wire. My transducer has a trailer mount too. I just connect them together. The ducer is glued down using aquarium sealer. Slow curing and works better than goop/vaseline/etc. I have tried them all. I have hole in hatch near mast with a blue sea connector with the end of wire dangling in the cock pit. No leaks. I just connect it to the fish finder. By the way, I store first aid stuff (not beer) , extra masts/fins, some tools, lures in the coors bag. I zipper it up to the wire connection. Very water-proof.