Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Balancing Act
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="BlueMark"][quote="Slaughter

Last edited by Aledal on Mon May 25, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mr. Bluemark-I do actually understand your point. You are also correct in assuming that I dont like pushing against the seat. At one point I could leg press 600 lbs. Thats a lot of pressure to trust to a couple of straps. I have had the straps loosen under pressure so I think a fixed length chain would be better. Pulling forward while pushing MAY give a little extra boost during sprints or when you are against a powerful tide-its debatable.I don`t know. I DO know that the drive unit is designed so well that it can probably take a lot of pressure before the A.I. cracks at the mounts.
My main point is that the molded handles do not provide a good grip.In rough weather(port or starboard waves) you need to counter balance and hold on tight to something. Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For every action -there is an equal and opposite reaction.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Talking about the various individual pedaling techniques, do you guys actually pull backward on peddles (using the foot straps) after having pushed them forward ?
I tried so and it doesn't seem to be doable from my experience. But I hope there is some trick out there :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aledal wrote:
I have had the straps loosen under pressure so I think a fixed length chain would be better.

Apparently, you can fix that problem with tri-glide buckles.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting-I`ll look into that. And as for balance?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

arno wrote:
Talking about the various individual pedaling techniques, do you guys actually pull backward on peddles (using the foot straps) after having pushed them forward ?
I tried so and it doesn't seem to be doable from my experience. But I hope there is some trick out there :roll:

Quote:

No trick, attach a line from your right peddle to your right grip/arm or left peddle to left grip/arm-whatever. Trust me-these guys are into legs-so leave your arms out of it.LOL.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aledal wrote:
Thanks for posting-I`ll look into that. And as for balance?

I dunno Aledal - I thought I had been out in some pretty rough weather, but I have never felt the need hang on tight, except to the mainsheet.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

arno wrote:

Arno, Roadrunner advocates pulling back on the pedals using the footstraps, but I have never found it comfortable. It's doable if you adjust the straps so they're tight on your feet.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I go faster if I have something to hang on to. This may be an affront to the science of recumbancy but it seems to work for me. Relax my arms and the speed drops -- can't say why.

I've come to learn that even an elite rider doesn't actually generate much force pulling. Here's an illustration -- the resulting force (lower line) goes negative on the pedal return [vertical lines L to R (degrees) 0, 90, 180, 270].

So I think I overestimated the contribution of pulling the pedals back on the return stroke. Just removing some of the leg weight is challenging enough! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
I go faster if I have something to hang on to. This may be an affront to the science of recumbancy but it seems to work for me.

RR, I have a PhD in the science of recumbency, or so my wife seems to believe :roll: .

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

chrisj wrote:
RR, I have a PhD in the science of recumbency, or so my wife seems to believe :roll: .

Then you're just the man I need some advice from! There is a local kayak 5 mile race coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a way to beat my cross town rival. He doesn't get on these forums often so any advise you give here will be especially helpful! :idea:

I considered an auxiliary electric motor, but am afraid he might hear it. Hiring a boat to generate a nice long wake would be too obvious. If handles won't help, what else is there? :?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
chrisj wrote:

Then you're just the man I need some advice from! There is a local kayak 5 mile race coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a way to beat my cross town rival. He doesn't get on these forums often so any advise you give here will be especially helpful! :idea:

I considered an auxiliary electric motor, but am afraid he might hear it. Hiring a boat to generate a nice long wake would be too obvious. If handles won't help, what else is there? :?

Hmmm, You could nip down to the gym and see if you can score some 'roids from the local bodybuilders. If it's a couple of weeks away, you might just have time to pack on some extra beef. There won't be urine tests, will there? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steroids? Are you crazy? Why risk your health?
Just sabotage the dudes boat.

Simple. :lol:

Last edited by Aledal on Tue May 26, 2009 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
chrisj wrote:

Hmmm, You could nip down to the gym and see if you can score some 'roids from the local bodybuilders. If it's a couple of weeks away, you might just have time to pack on some extra beef. There won't be urine tests, will there? :shock:

What about strapping a couple of real penguins to the MirageDrive and hanging some live bait over the bow....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next