Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My pro Angler rigged
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Much similar to my other Hobies in the way of rigging, this one however has much more room and the diversity is unparalleled. The further you mount things on those black accessory bars the harder it's going to be to reach them. I kept things simple and mounted my FF in the usual spot, just easier to reach and still out of the way.

The scotty rod holder with extention is simply to hold my rod after landing a fish or re-rigging the rod. There's also a scotty mount on the handrail making life much easier having my rod right next to me. Those small black circles are rare earth magnets which hold anything from hooks to pliers, cutting knives to plugs. Put anything metal near this area and it becomes a "black hole". I have over a dozen in exact locations to aid in holding made of metal, especially hooks. After catching a fish I toss the rig or hook onto one of these magnets and it stays put. There's nothing better than this system, been using it for three years now.

Post subject: Re: My pro Angler rigged
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Behind the seat are two revolution ram tubes cut Sifisto style for proper trolling. have been using these for three years...actually two...it's amazing how similar my original design was to this Ram one. Anyway, it works great for trolling and the rod in right next to you; enabling an instant response time.

Ease of operation with everything accessable can easily be seen, no fumbling or reaching for anything. Like my Adventure and Sport, your world is kept within 360 degrees from where you sit. Behind the seat are four game clips to keep your catch.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you look at the above pic of Rick Photoguy demo-ing my yak, seen are the mounting of the safety flag and night light adapter; both accessable from a seated position...very important when you need to turn on/off the light or to lower the flag going under RR bridges.

Everything here not only has been put through the test, it's been used on the water for the past four years on my other yaks. The system works, and allows you to fish much more efficiently.

The anchor trolly here uses a dive reel to complete the system, not shown in the pics.
The OEM cutting board with the PA will be upgraded to 1" thick Marine Grade to function properly for chunking bait. Pictures on this will be soon to come once the MFG comes through with my order.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The ram ball mount behind the seat is for a ram tube, an addition seat to be used for my kids(one at a time naturally) goes behind my seat. This is so my kids can safely fish with me. This PA can only be rigged to the limits of ones own imagination.

These are the plugs which go into the rod holders below deck, they keep excess water out in case of a flip.

At 1 1/4" in Dia, they fit tight in the tube, no need for additional waterproofing.
The large hatch upfront also has additional waterproof weatherstripping in case of a flip.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is Sifisto throwing a castnet. You can too if you owned a PA. MJ.

Look at the room in front of the kayak while sitting(can be seen in above picture with castnet), there's nothing to restrict your working the rod, handling a fish or snagging bunker.

I'm adding to this post as I get more pictures, and will be doing some youtube stuff..like nothing that's out there so far.
I've also designed a tool that enables any Hobie mirage drive owner to stand and sit back down with ease. This tool will change things...guaranteed. More to come, and all of it good.
Anyway, email me direct if you may need help. [email protected] or you can simply find me at KFS in the NJ forums.MJ.

Last edited by sifisto on Mon May 25, 2009 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:58 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Nice rigging!

A question about the dowel plugs. Any chance of them swelling when wet from flipping, rain or splashing and getting stuck or causing damage?

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sifisto, great job, well thought out as usual -- handsome looking boat! Nice to see you over here! 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't know yet about the swelling. This really shouldn't be getting wet at all, the PA is a VERY dry ride. I will seal the dowels in some sort of sealer today just to be safe. Not an issue though, for wood to swell it would have to be submerged for a lenght of time; not going to happen here on this application.

The plugs are 6" long, they stick in what I would call snug for 2"; much like a cork in a bottle.

I do see some sort of OEM plug system for these rod tubes in future Pro Angler design, along with a more secure front hatch waterproof seal.
A guy on a lake will almost never see the conditions we see in the salt on a daily basis, this kayak is being pushed to it's limits in saltwater. Once you tweek it to becoming waterproof, it's a force to be reconed with; this is one awesome kayak!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have since upgraded the wooden dowel plugs to ex large scupper plugs, much lighter and more of a sound seal. Bought the ex large scupper plugs(red) at kayakfishingstuff.com.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sifisto, love the magnet idea! I went to Rshack and picked up a few. Keep it comming!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The dowel thing was ditched , and replaced by ex-lg red scupper plugs which were much lighter and sealed perfectly.
Just received the custom cutting board, will mount and post as soon as it stops raining.
Here's a pic. of yesterdays first fluke of the year. It's a pleasure using this PA on the water, there's sooo much room and the 360 degrees of where your stuff is at cannot compare to anything out there except a boat. I can hear my Hobie Sport crying under the house, feels like a neglected child now.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sweet ride you got there Sifisto. How did you secure the scotty mount to the rail. I had the 1 inch rail mount attachment and it was too smalll and now i have the 1&1/4 and its too loose?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

psychoclown wrote:
Sweet ride you got there Sifisto. How did you secure the scotty mount to the rail. I had the 1 inch rail mount attachment and it was too smalll and now i have the 1&1/4 and its too loose?

I used 10-24 bolts, did the mod while I was at KFS. if you give Steve there a call he can assist. You can always drill out the holes to use bigger bolts. key is not to tighten the bolts one at a time, do all four slowly and things will go fine.
I use the rail mount all the time to hold my rod while I unhook a fish or simply to re-tie on a rig or re-bait. Comes in handy, but will not use it for trolling.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are some more mods done today.
These are the x-lg scupper plugs for the rod tubes to keep out excess water; much better and lighter than the wooden dowels.

Second is a shammy I keep inside the hull, it's almost like nothing there and much better than a sponge.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are the new "sifisto board" pics.
If you chunk bunker this is the only way to go. The latch is no longer in danger of being cut into, and the serrated knife sits flush with the board.