Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an 09 AI and always seem to struggle getting the Mirage Drive to click into locked position. Last week I had some big waves breaking near shore and really needed to peddle through them. It sure would've been nice to insert the drive and have it lock immediately. I seem to always struggle with it and it's taking way to long to lock in; not a good situation when your trying to hold the boat while getting hit with waves. I've suspended the AI in my garage and studied the connection, it doesn't appear to be misaligned. I'm not sure anyone can help me, but I'm not happy with the launch time delay to get a locked drive.

PS - I commented in the past about sailing without the drive. Based on the problem I'm having, I've gone to launching without the drive in (wind direction permitting).

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the same issue. I think it is something with the shape of the drive and the position of the pedals. I think visually it looks like you are putting the drive in correctly, but really it's not. I find that when I do get it to click in, I've tilted the drive forward more than what I think it needs to be.

I honestly don't quite understand why it's hard to get it to click in, but it is frustrating, I guess it's just not dumbed down enough yet. :)

Just an idea for hobie, but maybe there is someway to put some guides into the boat so that when you insert the drive it slides down the guides so the alignment is perfect for the click locks to engage properly.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob. I don't think I can help but if it's any concellation, when I first started out 2 or 3 months ago, I also had problems quickly aligning the drive in the slots. I didn't change anything but for some reason I just got better at it. There isn't much you can really adjust anyway. The only thing I can think of is the black plastic securing nut 'thingies' with the slot and the socket headed set screws ( I'm sure 'thingies' isn't the correct terminology ) on mine they are pretty loose and when I place the drive into the slots and turn the nuts, they almost turn the full 360 degrees but catch on the last or 2nd last notch before locking in the drive unit. Someone with more experience with this may be able to assist more.

When you were struggling to put the drive in, I bet you had an audience. That doesn't help.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Several of us have experienced these same problems and there is a discussion elsewhere here on that very subject. Mickey reckons the problem cures itself if you set the pedal adjustment to a lower number say 4 so shortening the space for the legs. I have tried his suggestion and it appears to be a good one. To get the correct angle to insert the drive into the click 'n go system, on my next outing I am going to mark this angle when it is correctly seated with a permanent texta on the sides of the drive case. I am thinking that lining up the angles should do the job....Pirate

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:46 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Slaughter are you talking about the old style cam knobs?

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pirate, I like your idea about marking the alignment of the pedals on the mirage drive well, I might use some waterproof tape or something though.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've struggled with this problem in the past, but I think I have it licked. The problem , as we all know, is to get the drive perfectly aligned:

If it's angled too far forward, the trick is to hold the two pedals together and pull back gently, without trying to push down. If you pull back hard, it just rocks too far and you end up with it angled too far back, but if you do it more gently, you feel a clunck as it moves into perfect alignment and the drive lifts slightly out of the slots. At this point you can just push straight down and it will go in every time. If it's too far back you can just do the above in reverse.I practised this with the boat up on tressles and now I can literally do it with my eyes closed. Try it :)

Last edited by chrisj on Sat May 30, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't understand how marking the pedal position will help with the locking system? Can you provide a little more detail?

I'd like to see a reply from Hobie; they changed to this design so they must have something to say too.

Thank you

Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had no problem with the new drive locking hardware on my AI, but I have another question for you all:

Why are you waiting to put your drive in, until after launching (while on the water)? :)

Except for my first AI launch (which was a fiasco!), I've always installed my drive before launching, whether at a beach or boat launch.

If I'm by myself, I install it while taking the hull off my truck, after the stern is on the ground.
If launching with others, we put the drive in by lifting the hull by the front aka supports (before mounting the aka/ama) one person on each side (also ALWAYS tethering the drive!)

When I launch at a sandy beach, I lift the full AI, by a front aka and walk it into the water. With the bungie hook, pulling one mirage pedal back, the fins are safely against the hull 1-2' above the sand.

When launching at a boat launch, I roll the AI into the water before removing the wheels (again with one mirage pedal pulled back by the bungee hook).

After not being able to correctly insert the drive on my first launch attempt (into some surf) I wouldn't think of launching without the drive in and at the ready! :oops:

Maybe not for everyone, but something to try. :)

Aloha,

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, the main time you need to do it is when you have been sailing with the drive out, but then want it back in for whatever reason (no wind etc).

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've avoided inserting the drive until the water depth is sufficient to keep the turbo fin from hitting the bottom. I assumed inserting the drive on the beach in the retacted position and pulling it through the sand wasn't good on the fins and drive. I pull the AI from the beach by the bow handle and move back to the center to insert the drive. I'll try inserting the drive while on the beach and use Kayaking Bob's method of lifting the full AI, by a front aka and walk it into the water. Do you have any concerns bending the aka?

I usually have to come onto the beach through 2 to 3 foot waves and have been pulling the drive just before the waves break. I leave a little sail out to maintain my power through the break, unlock the rudder and pull the rudder at the last minute. This has been working fairly well, but I've been turned sideways by the waves as I hit the beach. I've been worried about putting to much pressure on the aka, the pin connection and damaging the AI. There's alot of action going on until I'm able to get the AI safely on the beach. I wish my launch area didn't have the waves, but the tide change and reef cause the break to be close the beach. The tide change can be over 20 feet, which requires planning to avoid the reef.

Chrisj, I'll also try your method of putting the pedals together and gently pulling back. Thank you for the picture.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob, on surf landings like that, you might try using the paddle to steer a little so you don't land sideways. Also, some guys have some good advice for surf landings. I've only had a little experience, but I think one of the rules is to watch the incoming swells and try and paddle like mad as the last big one is coming so that as it breaks in front of you, you ride the back of it right up the beach and you just have some small stuff coming in after it.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob we put our drives in dry at the launching ramp but it can still be tedious. I use your stated procedure which works sometimes. Mickey's idea of first having the adjustment on 4 seems to align up the drive up too.

Also just a mention here to ensure your click 'n go arms are always in the locked position when peddling. If one is accidentally slipped in the open position and you peddle putting pressure on the system, you can end up in a real jammed situation where you can neither use the drive or release it. It then requires real muscle to prise it loose. I have given thought to a double lock system but have not solved that one yet....Pirate

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're dragging the AI through the sand with the fins retracted, you only need to lift the front a couple of inches for the drive to clear the sand, so you can use the bow handle to lift and drag it.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:00 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
we set all the pedals in the store to setting 4 too. This lines the pedal shafts to be straight up and down. If you have your pedals on 5 or 6 you just need to realize the pedal shafts are not going to be straight up and down bu slanted slightly forward.

The drive should be the same no matter which hold the pedal arms are in, that only effects the angle you need to be holding them at.

I recommend practicing it several times to get the feel down for your boat and your setting, and by several time means until you can do it while looking the other way talking to someone and chewing bubble gum.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers