Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Bravo Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm expecting delivery of a new Bravo this week. In 'kit form'. Any hot tips on assembly that anyone has that may not be specifically mentioned in the manual would be appreciated, such as where / if to use blue / red Loktite on screws, etc. Also, I'll be towing her with a modified Carolina Skiff J16 trailer, and wondering what the best way is to support the hulls. The commercial trailers made for the Bravo (some costing half the price of the boat) seem to simply support at 2 points on each hull - either rollers or carpeted crossbars. As I'll be constructing myself, would it be better (and possible) to support along the length of the hulls rather than just at specific points, or is this material so tough that it's really not a concern.

My home page

Post subject: Re: New Bravo Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hull material is really tough, especially compared to the weight of the boat. A couple support points are all you need. Some folks just use a utility trailer or wide truck bed for transport.

Here's a picture of the trailer I made for my Wave:

I used decking planks with cheap marine carpet, so it would slide easily. Your Bravo would ride pretty-much right on the side rails of a 4x8 trailer like this. The real advantage to this set-up is, I still have a nice utility trailer whenever the boat's not on it.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the photos - nice setup. I responded in another post about using your ideas to modify a Carolina Skiff J16 trailer for dual use. I really like the Trailex aluminum trailer, but not for half the price of the boat :(

My home page

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey IndyWave - you wouldn't by chance have a sketch with dimensions laying around would you? I just got a call saying my Bravo is arriving this afternoon and naturally want to get her wet this evening. If not, looks like from your photo I can just strap 2 or 3 2x6s on my Skiff trailer and make it 1/4 mile to the launch. Might look like a total bubba rig, but good enough for my 1st sail :(

My home page

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think anything is critical here, but I bought 8' long 1x6 treated deck planks and cut off 1 foot to match the 7' beam of my Wave. In your case, the beam is only 53", so that's your target. I cut the left-overs with my miter saw to make the angled blocks which keep it from wandering sideways.

I used four planks, spaced about 2 to 3 feet apart (just what worked on my trailer), then attached one vertically on the back, to give the boat something better to run into. I added a second layer in the front to match the slight rocker of the hulls. I used one large carriage bolt on each side of each plank to hold it in place.

Then I bought some cheap marine carpet, in 1 foot strips, to wrap around the ends of the planks and cover the blocks, and stapled it into place (underneath, to prevent scratching).

The carpeting and decking planks (and the trailer itself) were all purchased from Menard's, a big-box hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot, only cheaper.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very much appreciate the info. I was gonna use 2x6s, but I guess that would be overkill and unneeded extra weight - especially if I use 4 of them. Good idea about a vertical one in the back that gives the hulls something to run into besides the metal trailer frame, although in my case I'll have the existing skiff bunks which are carpeted. I'll figure out some bow stop arrangements after I get her all put together and see what she looks like on the trailer - just so I don't launch her over the tow vehicle in an emergency stop. Don't like trusting only the hold down straps, although they'd probably be enough.

This sure beats the hell out of a $1400 Trailex :D

Thanx again.

My home page

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do strap it down pretty solidly. It would have to break 4 straps and a rope to move forward, but I guess anything's possible in a head-on accident.

Post photos when you're done!

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Post photos when you're done!

Should have some by the end of the day tomorrow. You've convinced me that bow stops aren't necessary with sufficient straps. I forgot how little the thing weighs - not a whole lot of momentum.

My home page

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bobreeves wrote:
This sure beats the hell out of a $1400 Trailex :D

I think I spent about $550 total, including the utility trailer.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The new Bravo showed up right on schedule at 3:30 this afternoon. By 5:00 she was unboxed and completely assembled in my driveway (in 98 degree heat). Blue Loktite was included in the kit and the instructions indicated where to use it. The ONLY problem I had with assembly was the clearance holes in the mast post base plate were not quite on, but got the screws in with some persuasion. My 140 lb skinny butt was able to raise the mast without any trouble, and the furling system works perfectly.

I did have one pretty important looking bolt left over when I finished, but re-reading the instructions indicated it could be used as an alternative to the one that is used to close the mast gate to help prevent unintentional loosening. I left the stock one with the twist handle in place.

Tomorrow morning comes the modifications off my Carolina Skiff trailer then hopefully get her wet tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait :P

My home page

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For anyone considering a Bravo, I just gotta put a plug in for Brad Stephens and his shop Sunjammers in Panama City, Florida. I did a whole lot of shopping around before I made this purchase, and Brad had the best deal by a wide margin. I was also very pleasantly surprised to place the order for the boat on Monday and have it show up the following Wednesday on a freight truck in Texas. Wish I could get a letter delivered by the USPS that fast. It included a sail cover and a separate sail carrying bag - another pleasant surprise.

Brad and his crew were all very knowledgeable and helpful with all my questions and in helping me decide what would be just the right boat for my intended use. An unexpected level of service these days. I'll be ordering my boom kit from Brad any day now.

My home page

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a photo of my modified Carolina Skiff J16 trailer to support the Bravo. Total cost about $30. $12 for the 1x6 deck lumber, $12 for the straps, $6 for the eyes. Had the carpet left over from a sandrail project. Side boards keep her in place. Cross boards bolted for easy removal for usage with my skiff. Mast bungee'd underneath to cross boards.

My home page

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:33 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
make sure you do not put to much pressure on the vertical support for the a frame, I've seen these rip off before, when people use a truck to pull them up that's the natural tie off point.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I generally use that point just to tie off to the trailer when pulling up a ramp because the bunks are so slippery when wet. Also to tie off the boat at the dock when going for the trailer. Where else could I tie off? Would the lift handles be better?

My home page

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd recommend using the front grab handles instead. These are designed to lift the boat and will better withstand the stresses. I tied a floating line to each of the front handles (length of line ~8') and tied another line to the middle of this 8' line, allowing a center point connection for my longer painter line. I can then tie-off the painter as needed.

Just another option!