Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You must be referring to these mudflaps...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Damn.....nice Tad!

Where did you get those......I want a set! Custom made?

Tom
H18M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ha! Specially made for Hobie 18 sailor! Maybe Hobie will add them to their "accessory" line. Just messing around...Photoshop. I suppose they could be custom made.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Scored some big PVC pipe for the hull cradles today! Thanks to Troy at United Pipe here in Boise!! We had a lot of fun playing around in the backyard with the pipe...so not too much work on the boat or trailer tonight, but did have a good time :D It's all about fun when it comes to Hobies!! --Tad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MICW5HVhqO8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tad,

What size and schedule pipe???? Did you read our discussion on making cradles that we had some months ago here on the "Hobie Forum" ... it covered the process

I'm trying to fix my H18 ... leaky daggerboard trunk and install a tramp so I can leave to attend the "Spray Beach YC "Hobie Points Regatta ... I'll try to check in before I leave ... if you have any questions get them posted ... I'll be gone till late Sunday night.

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Harry!

I did read your posts on the cradles. They were great! Jeremy is shipping the materials for fiberglass work next week. Karm & I will be out of town this weekend running in the Sawtooth Relay so won't be working on the boat or trailer this weekend.

The pipe is pretty thick. It says "10 inch SDR 35 PVC Sewer Pipe" on the side. The wall thickness measures in at 5/16". I walked all around the pipe supply yard with this guy and he showed me all different kinds of pipe. He had White, Blue, & Green in 10" & 12" diameters. He said the Blue was most brittle, green would be good for what I was doing. White was best, but he didn't have any "scraps" of it laying around & it was the most expensive.

My plan is to take the idea you had for cradles and incorporate them into my old roller bases. I am going to weld up a bracket that allows the cradles to rotate. I will place more of the weight aft of the roller axle so that when the boat is off the trailer it has a tendency to fall towards the back of the trailer & be ready when I go to put the boat back on. Here is a little detail I drew up for it. Please let me know what you think. I will take photos for you too once I have them built.

Have fun at the Spray Beach YC Regatta!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tad,

That looks great!!!

I did the same w/ the cradle offset and using the roller bracket on a set of cradles I made for my friend's boat (that "Redline/foam" boat I mentioned.) they work great except for the fact we used carpet foam under the carpet ... thats how I know about gelcoat blisters

I made bunks for my trailer because I needed more flexiblity as I was using the trailer to haul a H18 ... a P19 ... my friend's H16 and as a "rescue" trailer for the Down the Bay and C-100 Regatta's (distance races) ... so almost any 16'-20' catamaran can be trailered on my trailer. And I use the bunks as seats when getting into my sailing gear!!!!

Have fun this weekend

Where are you in Idaho??? I had a crazy cousin that lived near McCall ....

And I skiied Grand Targee and Jackson Hole years ago .... Grand Targee was fantastic and I'll return some year ....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We are in Boise now. I grew up in McCall, sailing with my Dad on Payette lake. I love it up there! I bought some land up there a few years back and last year had the opportunity to buy beach rights & did. Eventually I would like to move back up there.

I do have a few questions. I can't find that thread that Stephen in referring to. The one he said that Matt Miller wrote about reinforcing the area by the front crossbar. I would like to do that since I don't want the hull to collapse & fold in, like in your experience. Jeremy was able to get me the hardware kit from the factory to reinforce that area & he is sending it with the other materials & supplies.

Also, you referred to those little hairline cracks. There are quite a few of them. What should I do to fix them? Thanks again for all your help! This is going to be a lot of fun!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8060&hilit=anchor+plates

That is a good one, for questions about the anchor plates.

I haven't found one that was really useful from mmiller yet but ill look some more.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Arrr memories of hulls on saw horses not forgotten, just been there, I hope all is going well, fibre glassing should not be a problem.
But I would leave the spaying of Gel Coat to the people in the know. I have played with gelcoat twice and in both cases ended in disaster , this stuff can dry to fast and then again not dry at all which will leave you with a job you wish you never started. Warning gelcoat for beginners = Trouble big time. As for your fibre glassing jump in and have a ball, I have never had any problems when using this or any 5to1 epoxy ex,,keep us up to speed on how it goes, and good photo's, it's not just a boat ''it's a project'' we all love projects we appreciate the end result more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the link Tom. That should help when reinforcing the front crossbar area. Jeremy said he mailed fiberglass & gelcoat supplies this weekend, so I should be able to start on the hulls soon. Worked on the trailer & cradles again this weekend and will post some photos of the progress!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are some photos of the cradle production. Thanks to Harry for the initial ideas on making these cradles! They are going to be much better at displacing the weight & protecting the boat than the old roller system.

Cutting the Pipe

Cradles Cut to Size (Circumference cut into 1/3 increments)
I made (6) cradles...(4) for the trailer & (2) for the beach wheels.

Steel Plates cut to size & drilled to match Bolt Holes in Cradles

Welding the Pipe Rotating Axle to the Steel Plate

Steel Pipe Axle welded to Support Plate (Welded each Side)

Countersinking for the Bolt Heads so they are flush with Cradle & will not damage the Hulls

Shake & Bake!

Cradles being formed to Hulls...(Multi-Step process that photos do not show) Keep hulls cool & plastic warm. Warm styrene slowly & gently @ low temp to form to PVC Pipe so it doesn't break or crack. Then warm PVC pipe separate & form to hulls with styrene as insulation between PVC and hulls. (Note: 10" dia. PVC cut into 1/3 increments was pretty close to the right shape, so I didn't have to mold it too much)

All parts ready to be painted!

Cradles Glued up with Polystyrene & Nylon Carpet & Strapped to Hulls for Drying/Curing

Another Photo of the Cradle Assemblies Curing to the form of the Hulls.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tad,

I'm short of time today, but I took a quick look at you post on the cradles ....

EXCELLENT!!!!!

I think you are the "Cradlemaster" from now on !!!!!!

Talk to you Later

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have ground out the cracked areas that were damaged by the rollers. The fiberglass was discolored and soft in those areas so I opted to grind away the discolored material and do a full repair as described in Rick Buchanan’s “This Old Hobie – Major Fiberglass Repair” Below are some photos:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I took a photo of the pin striping before removing it. I think I will do some different graphics on this boat, but I thought it would be good to have a record of the original size and location from the factory.

I took a photo of the original hobie symbol. I will probably have a "Hobie Cat" symbol with the 18 in a circle made by one of the sign manufactures we use when the boat is complete, but I thought it would be good to have the photo just case I decide to go back to the original font, etc.

Removing the pin striping

Removing the rivets and the trampoline track from the hulls.

Removed fairleads...being very careful not to increase the size of the holes. The original mfg process used rivets here, but the replacement part is for a screw that fits into the holes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next