Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://vimeo.com/5475999

http://vimeo.com/6876050

Last edited by kbteachme on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 16 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice setup, where did those amas come from ??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

makenmend wrote:
Nice setup, where did those amas come from ??

Thanks!

I got the amas and mounting bracket from Spring Creek Canoe Accessories, Mt. Iron, MN, 1-800-937-8881

http://store.springcreek.com/Stabilizer ... p1581.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great work KB! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Great work KB! 8)

Thanks!

I hope this video helps others to modify their Hobie sailing kayaks. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks great! And a nice lens (fish eye?). I love the overview it gives.
Why exactly did you choose this solution over the Hobie sidekicks? Buoyancy? Less drag? Oysters? No permanent crossbar?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

skua wrote:
Looks great! And a nice lens (fish eye?). I love the overview it gives.
Why exactly did you choose this solution over the Hobie sidekicks? Buoyancy? Less drag? Oysters? No permanent crossbar?

Thanks! I'm using a Go Pro Wide (yes, fish eye lens) with suction cup mount --> http://www.goprocamera.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmtGVZc ... r_embedded

I tried them all. I owned two Hobie Adventure Islands and a few Adventures, Outbacks, Revos, Classics and Sports. I have tried the inflatable side kicks, but I hated them because of the poor aerodynamic design; it made the kayak slow (more drag). However, I loved my Adventure Islands akas/amas for sailing, but they took a long time to get setup and storage was a big problem. I feel that my Revo with the plastic molded aerodynamic designed akas/amas are ideal for kayak sailing (i.e. very little drag, moulded plastic, customized adjustments, easy removal and more). For only $328, they are worth every penny if you are into kayak sailing. The crossbar can be removed easily as well. I highly recommend this setup over the sidekicks. A+++ for the design and function. They now come in colors. 8)

http://store.springcreek.com/Stabilizer ... p1581.html

Last edited by kbteachme on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

very cool, I would like to use those floats with the Sidekick bar however I don't see them as being available separate, not even sure if I'd be able to customize them to work.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

YakDreams wrote:
very cool, I would like to use those floats with the Sidekick bar however I don't see them as being available separate, not even sure if I'd be able to customize them to work.

Neil

Hi Neil,

They will not work on your Sidekick bar. You will need to abandon the Sidekick bar (take it out, patch it up, and replace it with this setup). IMO--this setup is so much better... less drag and more aerodynamic. You can also easily take the crossbar off and adjust how long you want the bars to go out as well as the height of the bars much better than the Sidekick design.

BTW--The GoProWide suction cup mounts easily on top of the crossbar (as shown in the video above)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

kbteachme wrote:

Hi Neil,

They will not work on your Sidekick bar. You will need to abandon the Sidekick bar (take it out, patch it up, and replace it with this setup). IMO--this setup is so much better... less drag and more aerodynamic. You can also easily take the crossbar off and adjust how long you want the bars to go out as well as the height of the bars much better than the Sidekick design.

BTW--The GoProWide suction cup mounts easily on top of the crossbar (as shown in the video above)

The bar looks amazing for sailing, so many adjustments ...but I primarily fish, and I see so many angles, knobs and little places to snag a line on with that bar, tis the only reason I'd like to use the sidekick bar, plus I like the way the sidekick can be rotated. Definitely like the floats :) I have a hard enough time already getting snagged up in stuff.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

YakDreams wrote:
kbteachme wrote:

Hi Neil,

The bar looks amazing for sailing, so many adjustments ...but I primarily fish, and I see so many angles, knobs and little places to snag a line on with that bar, tis the only reason I'd like to use the sidekick bar, plus I like the way the sidekick can be rotated. Definitely like the floats :) I have a hard enough time already getting snagged up in stuff.

Neil

Neil,

You can easily remove the crossbar if you know you are just going fishing. You can just use your sidekicks for fishing. Mount these a little closer to the rudder just in back of the rear fishing holders as shown in this picture (make sure that the fishing poles have room to extend beyond the mount). For sailing, it beats the heck out of the sidekicks.

Last edited by kbteachme on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Your video is outstanding and Chris Cross Sailing is my anthem. Haven't been able to get a share copy thru Vimeo could you email me the video? I have a Revo and plan on enjoying the sailing experience in similiar fashion. Thks for the inspiration.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stormer01 wrote:
Your video is outstanding and Chris Cross Sailing is my anthem. Haven't been able to get a share copy thru Vimeo could you email me the video? I have a Revo and plan on enjoying the sailing experience in similiar fashion. Thks for the inspiration.

I'm sorry. I can't email the video. It's too large to email.

It's an excellent sailing setup. Make sure you get the same akas. It's night and day compared to the Hobie blow-up akas. Also, get the turbo fins and sailing rudder and your good to go. It works great in the open ocean as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thks. I have the turbos and the larger rudder, will tell spring creek where I saw their product adeptly used....
Appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Would your system work well on the Adventure (not the AI), especially since the Adventure can use a daggerboard?