Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New AI owner.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been lurking for a while and thought I should finally post an intro (before I post my first question!).

I recently bought a hobie AI, an 08 demo unit. I intend to use it in the Tallahassee (Florida, USA) area and along the gulf coast in the big bend region. I've been sailing for years, started on rental beach cats when I was a kid, and currently have a 18' West Wight Potter (the Big boat).

I don't have a good way to tote the boat yet and that is among my first projects. I will probably use a trailer since I want to be able to use the boat by myself as much as possible, and pulling this beast off the roof is an Adventure.

My other projects are a rolling cart (to hold both ends of the kayak) so I can roll it under my house (crawlspace) for storage. And finally a stand so I can wash it and admire it from time to time.

Post subject: Re: New AI owner.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You did good, Welcome from Fort Walton Beach. We are looking into a scalloping trip in St. Joe bay, probably some time in August. Seems like the perfect craft for it...Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A warm welcome from the AI Community DownUnder.
Re trailering vs cartopping, I would check out the various options deliberated regularly on this site before commiting. I for one am an enthusiastic car-topper and have no trouble getting the AI on and off one-up, and would recommend going that way though there are many from the other camp.
Again check out the various carrier options through this site. The balloon wheeled Hobie cart is an excellent choice which I believe would allow you to wheel your AI in under the house backwards with very little trouble. I have even third filled my balloon wheels with water giving them greater stability over rough ground as well as less buoyancy, an advantage for ease of inserting them into the scuppers whilst in the water. Why re-invent the wheel if you don't have to. Good luck....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

E komo ma'i,
Welcome to the fun from Hawai'i ! 3 month owner and occasional poster. I've been using my AI more than my Cal27 lately. Great fun and should be ideal for the Gulf. You could probably do a really long coastal run/camp trip along the whole coast...Anyway, have fun and good luck.
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do intend to do some long range stuff as soon as I feel comfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Alan! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We're also new AI owners and share your trailering concerns. Most questions were answered on the AI trailer thread where multiple versions were exhibited. We're virtually down the street and around the big bend about 350mi SE in Sarasota where we enjoy coastal cruising with our Hunter 26. That is until Kelli got tired of Cptn Bligh barking trimming orders and demanded her own boat. Now I shout at the top of my lungs but she just smiles and sails off. The crew has mutinied;).

I'll post some pics of the trailer on the other thread. It's basically a used single jetski trailer which is put to MUCH better use hauling both of our AIs and all the parts. We hope to get some miles under the whole rig soon so we can explore a few spots like Destin and maybe the Keys too.
Cya
Mike & Kelli
Sarasota, Fl
s/v BonaFide

Last edited by BonaFide on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have a full size van (with rain gutters) which is a rare vehicle these days.

I picked up a pair of rain gutter mount ladder racks to haul the Yak to Lake Hall on the 4th (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Hall ) .

They work fine, but they are loud around 55mph. I would like to take the yak with me when we go visit my wife's 'rents in West Palm in a few weeks, but I couldn't take the noise. Do most roof racks hum?

I'm looking at a 4x8 utility trailer from Tractor Supply to re-davinate into a yak hauler.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are using straps to hold down the yak ,make sure there is a twist in each section of the strap to stop them from vibrating. A long time ago the racks we had were not tubes but sort of a square section with a slot cut thru the the bottm to allow the the mounts to slide in and out to adjust to the size of the car. To stop them from humming we wrapped them with duct tape to cover the slot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No, it wasn't the straps, it made the sound empty.

It is square tube, but solid (no slots).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A very warm welcome.....if you do use the balloon wheels don't over inflate them, like I did, and end up with 2 eggs!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made cart version one. All I need now are something better than 8" lawnmower wheels.

I made my cart wheelbase wide (24") so the yak doesn't fall over in my uneven yard.