Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Follow this link. When I ordered mine they came in black but they're now offered only in white. Can you spell K-R-Y-L-O-N ? You can even get Rustoleum aerosol paint in textures now. Just order one and make it any color or texture you want. You won't regret it, believe me!
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/Mercha ... y_Code=htc

Post subject: Hatch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Noalias - The hatch under the seat is worthless and the more I look at that photo of yours, the more appealing the thought of a handy storage area becomes. What did you do to seal the two dip areas in the front that are on the Hobie Outback to channel water? And, have you had any problems with water entering the kayak? What did you do to seal it securely? It only has six bolt holes and one quick release handle? That doesn't look very secure to me. How is yours holding up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rnykster... Installing the hatch was easy. I made a cardboard template from the hatch frame then traced its outline onto the kayak using a Sharpie marker. Cutting the hole was easy with a Dremel tool using a cut off wheel for the straight cuts and a roto-zip bit for the radius cuts. Next, I placed the hatch in the cut out and marked the bolt holes. To seal the hatch I used self adhesive 3/4" foam weather stripping. This left a very small area to seal under the foam weather stripping where the drain grooves run under it. I sealed that small area with some silicon sealant. Since the hatch area is generally high enough to remain dry, leakage is not a problem. Granted, the hatch will probably allow a very small amount of leakage when subjected to surf or other significant wave exposure but so will the other hatches and openings. I can't stress enough the benefit of having this access to the inner hull. The hatch is very well made and strong enough to stand on without flexing. I won't be surprised if Hobie incorporates something like this on their kayaks in the future. In the meantime, savvy dealers like KFS will provide it as an option.