Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I read somewhere that you want to attach the jib tack as low as possible on the connection on the bridal? Is this true? on what hole do you connect your jib?
"one" being the botton most hole....
Tks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Anywhere from 5 to the middle of the second adjuster (I have two adjusters to allow more mast rake).

Higher wind = higher on the adjuster.

The second part of that axiom (as low as you can go) is "and still be able to sheet in the jib all the way." The more mast rake you have, the higher you have to go to maintain that sheet tension.

Also, it depends on how old your jib is. The newer jibs (since 2000) are cut shorter on the foot so they can be carried lower.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

did u shorten your side stays?
iu bought a second adjustoer and cant use it. the side stays are on the lowest position. Adding another adjuster leave my side stays like loose ropes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:59 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

My boat's almost new, so it has the shorter stays to begin with. I'm four holes up in the adjuster.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt if you have your jib attached up to the middle of your second adjuster plate what holes do you attach your side stays?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:01 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Speedawg wrote:
Matt if you have your jib attached up to the middle of your second adjuster plate what holes do you attach your side stays?

The only time the forestay would be there is in totally nuclear conditions with big waves - conditions that I rarely go out in anymore.

But to answer your question directly - stays in the bottom hole. Jib halyard as tight as I could get it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Matt...

I have a question on this subject and I have been trolling all the posts looking for an answer.

I have a 2011 Hobie 16. My side stays are set on the middle hole of the 7 hole adjusters. My bridal has a 10 hole adjuster and I usually have the jib tack in the 3rd hole from the bottom. (the bottom 2 holes are taken up by the burgee attachment thingy). I have the jib blocks in the middle hole of the clew.

With this set up, (in 12-15knots of wind) I can almost sheet block to block on the main - about 1.5 inches from total block to block, but the jib is still 2.5 to 3 inches from being block to block. What do I need to do to get the jib lower? I'm assuming the lower I can get it, the better I will be able to point?

Greg :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ftlauderdale16 wrote:
Hi Matt...

I have a question on this subject and I have been trolling all the posts looking for an answer.

I have a 2011 Hobie 16. My side stays are set on the middle hole of the 7 hole adjusters. My bridal has a 10 hole adjuster and I usually have the jib tack in the 3rd hole from the bottom. (the bottom 2 holes are taken up by the burgee attachment thingy). I have the jib blocks in the middle hole of the clew.

With this set up, (in 12-15knots of wind) I can almost sheet block to block on the main - about 1.5 inches from total block to block, but the jib is still 2.5 to 3 inches from being block to block. What do I need to do to get the jib lower? I'm assuming the lower I can get it, the better I will be able to point?

Greg :D

Hey Greg, this has never been an issue on my 1982 boat..if you wanna do a straight swap I will even drive it down there for ya... Just sayin! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:32 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

ftlauderdale16 wrote:

Rake further back. Either drop the shrouds down a hole or just ease the jib halyard a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have seen people flip the chainplate at the bridal upside down allowing the Jib tobe placed very low.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the reply Matt... I'll try rake back more by going down another hole on the side stays... But if I may press the issue a little further...

ronholm wrote:
I have seen people flip the chainplate at the bridal upside down allowing the Jib tobe placed very low.

Does the placement of the jib tack affect the ability to point? There must be some apparent difference in performance depending on how high from or low to the bridal the jib tack is? Is lower or higher better?

Greg