Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I got tramps for my AI, and started shifting my butt around a lot, I fount I accidentally released the aka struts at times when it bumped the inboard ends of the struts in the aft direction. Here is a self explanatory (if you can see the pictures) way of locking the spring loaded release heads in place so that they cannot accidentally release. Shock cord used is 3/16" (4 mm). Make the loop small enough so that it does not slip around on the strut. Tie one and one half reef knots and tape the ends to make a little pull handle. This seems to work very well. If the pictures don't appear, this won't make sense.... Essentially, the shock cord gets between the release head and the protruding bolt on the bottom of of the strut, so that the release head can't move.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I see lots of views but no comments here... I would be interested if others either find this lock useful or find problems with it...

Or am I the only one who's butt ever bumps the strut ends?? ;-) Does this never happen to others?

It is true that I'm more a sailor than a kayaker, so I am always playing with the trim of the boat by moving for and aft and in and outboard... Reaching the steering lever on the outboard movements is obviously the issue. I don't want to play with creating a "tiller extension" until I decide to bite the bullet and reverse the steering lines so that it works like a normal sailing tiller--opposite to the direction of turning. My "tiller reflexes" are already confused enough... I don't want my body confused about which way to move the stick on other sailing boats...

I do love this little AI, I must say. It's a wonderful bunch of excellent design compromises... and pedal-sailing is fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,

Lack of comments probably means it has not happened regularly with others. I did have it happen to me (sans tramps) when I was trying to rescue a bungee-corded paddle, during heavy winds, which had been caught by a wave and gotten all twisted (the cord). Your fix probably would have prevented that. Good idea.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This has happened a few times in the last two years. It only occurred while moving around, adjusting and securing gear, climbing in or out or setting up for a photograph. It was a surprise but not a problem. While sailing, especially in difficult conditions, I don't move around much, just work the main sheet and rudder. I might try a foam collar that would make it more difficult to disconnect but not prevent it entirely. Since this, for me, is infrequent, it is safer to have it disconnect than fail and break.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think that little spring loaded cap is a safety device of sorts. There are times when you and the AI are safer with the amas collapsed as opposed to locked in place. Rare, I grant you, but possible. I see it sort of like using a plastic rudder pin. Damage control.

I know I once complained to Hobie about the dangers of having that cap not locked down. But now, I honestly think they designed it that way for a reason. And I think they are right.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK drgatsea, that's what I was starting to wonder as well...

Could we have a statement about this Matt Miller?

Is the spring loaded latch on the aka struts designed so that it will release under loads that surpass the breaking strength of the pin or strut head?
Is it intended as some kind of safety feature, or is it just a wonderful, fast, reasonably secure way of latching the strut to the hull?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:11 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I've knocked it lose a few times. Had one huli in high seas when it happened.

Be interested in Matt's reply.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Count me on the club who have "realeased " an alma. I have had this happen quite a few times as I hike out. Clever fix I will be trying it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I bought my used AI, I asked the original owner if he'd ever tipped, flipped or turtled the AI under sail.

"Only once," he said, "...when I accidentally hit the release cap of the aka. The ama swung to the side of the hull - and over I went."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got concerned about accidentally unlocking the aka strut when the following happened to me. It was NOT in dramatic wind/wave sailing conditions. Instead, I'm coming into a beach on this lake with a steady following wind and all sorts of sunbathers and kids spread out on the grass watching me. It was the first time I had sailed with the new tramps. This meant that my way of getting out of the boat had to be different, and was a new experience.

I pull the board out on time, get the bungee on to lock the pedals, have the rudder up ok, and am throwing my legs over the aft port side aka when my bathing suit neatly catches on on strut head and dismounts it. The ama doesn't fold because the tramp holds it in place (which is one advantage of the tramp it would seem), but I'm stuck place with the strut up my pants leg. The boat ploughs into the sand, stops short, and I roll backwards on the tramp with my legs in the air. It's like a slapstick routine for the folks watching.

So much for a Mr. Cool beaching operation.... :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just thinking out loud :wink: but:
Is it designed to release when subject to compressive forces? -eg you are hit by another boat from behind or you are driven backwards into an object.
The opposite to the strut breakaway pin working when subject to a tension force as when you collide with an object while moving forward.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wouldn't think so Stringy. IMHO just an inovative quick lock and release system to secure the brace to the hull with no other super duper esoteric function....Pirate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Wouldn't think so Stringy. IMHO just an inovative quick lock and release system to secure the brace to the hull with no other super duper esoteric function....Pirate

As Freud said: "Sometimes a dream is just a dream." :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My thoughts above are based on comments from others who have reported that an ama when hit from the rear will release the brace.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9408&p=48563&hilit=+brace#p48563
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9791&hilit=brace&start=15
Good design from Hobie or just good luck? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stringy for these references. In this thread below, Matt does seem to say the aka braces are designed to release when there is a hit from the rear

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9791&hilit=brace&start=15

Here's the quote

This is a tough one... they are designed to release, so finding that release tension that is just right will be the only option.

I did have another thought though. I note that the lock may stick open slightly and can be opened by bumping it. Carefull attention to the properly seated and locked connection may make a difference.

by the way... as for beta testing... we are still making changes to the Hobie 16, so yes... we listen.

I suppose you could use the little bungee cord locking loops I devised or not--depending upon what kind of risk concerns you most. If unintended release bothers you more, lock them. If damage from forces from the rear on the ama or aka seems more important, don't lock them. Also, with the tramps in place, doesn't the whole question become moot in a way? You could leave them unlocked and rely on the tramps to prevent folding of the ama in towards the main hull.