Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am wondering now if this problem happens to all vertical support frames with four rivets or this was just sporadic. I am concerned about my kids sailing it and it looks that the replacement doesn't always work perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=8643

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I have seen that already and this is only one person that had a problem. I have already spoken to couple more and now I am debating if I should leave it the way it is or replace it before problem occurs.

Thank you for responding.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 2004 model Bravo with the original type vertical support....would it make sense to add another fastener for reinforcement between the rivets and the base?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Probably not. This is like a pivot point. I do not think that another fastener will hold it any better. It looks like first two years of productions have the same vertical support design.
I am going to take it out myself first this Saturday. I sail on Long Island Sound so salt water and waives will probably be a good test. Since my kids are small I don’t think too much damage will be done right away (unless something is already cracked). I will let them go first with calm wind and under heavy supervision. I plan to teach them how to right the boat too so it is going to be a lot of mast slamming against the water. We will see what happens. I already decided to order it anyway. The whole A-frame assy is too expensive to take chances.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Finally I got to the bottom of the A-frame and it’s vertical support subject. Older boats had ¼” fastening screws vs. 5/16”In the newer models. Also there was no internal aluminum inserts in the A-frame itself in early cats. Today’s Bravos have shorter screws with locking washers for the A-frame but longer engaging thread part (less leverage), aluminum inserts in it, thicker diameter, longer studs on the bottom and thicker A-frame connector of vertical support that makes all attachment portions of the mast support assembly much stronger. I replaced all of them- had to drill and tap the vertical support insert in the hull to fit new design.
From my standpoint it was well worth it especially that my kids are going to push it to the limit sailing on the ocean. I spoke to couple of ’03 and ’04 Bravo owners trying to sell the boat and they had a problems with a strength of A-frame attachment parts. The damage was more expensive to fix than the cost of "Caribbean resort upgrade". I also installed new 3:1 vs. 2:1 main sheet block with stronger post.
It looks that that design was only used for first 500-700 models. My Bravo was previously used only on fresh water so everything was in great shape sice the boat wasn't exposed to waves. I just couldn’t sleep well knowing that my kids may end up having problem on the open water. So now I have everything up to date and it looks much more solid and durable.