Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trampolines are Great!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Hobie AI'ers
- I got my Hobie tramps 2 weeks ago, and I love 'em.
- I installed them incorrectly initially and was disappointed. Follow the directions carefully. They are not clear. The picture is too small and the terms are easy to misunderstand. A big picture of correctly installed tramps is needed.
- They triple the space on our AIs, giving additional passenger and equipment and movement room.
- They are easy to deploy and retract.
- $319 is expensive but worth the Hobie quality, benefits, and ease-of-use of the tramps.
------------------- Al K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With the tramps installed, can you still use the paddle? I have been looking at them and would like to use them, but due to the winds and tides I encounter, together with a lot of mud banks, I will need to be able to use the paddle frequently.
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had my tramps on now for three months...great for what they were
designed to do. BUT, unless you have very long arms...paddling is essentially
impossible.
I tried to unbuckle the tramps in a couple of feet of water and use the paddle.
It was nearly impossible to keep the unbuckled tramps from dropping into the water.
I certainly could not roll them up out of the way if I were actually out in deep water without
doing a careful balancing act.

I found that I could sit on one of the tramps, paddle between the tramp and the ama,
but it was a stretch to control the rudder control. No way could I switch sides...
I had to scull the paddle to maintain control.

I still am pleased with the tramps and would not go out without them. You just
have to realize that you have to compromise what you are doing. If the water is going to
be so shallow that the Mirage drive is useless...don't extend the tramps when you
go out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have to use the paddle to get myself off the beach and negotiate through parked boats in often strong tides and shallow water. I wont be able to rely on the excellent mirage drive.
I wonder whether it would be possible to make some tramps with rings or loose fitting straps, that would slide along the arms front and back, fixed to a batten along the outer edge and tensioned using some cord and blocks with a cleat? This way they could have the tension released and simply pushed out of the way. If there is enough slack in it when untensioned you would still be able to swing the amas in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rokraider wrote:
With the tramps installed, can you still use the paddle? I have been looking at them and would like to use them, but due to the winds and tides I encounter, together with a lot of mud banks, I will need to be able to use the paddle frequently.
Any thoughts?

Hi rokraider
- To make paddling easy, you need to have the tramps rolled onto the front aka.
- I launch my AI with tramps wrapped around aka's, amas bungeed to hull, sail furled. Then when I get, either by pedaling or paddling, where I want to deploy the amas with tramps, I unhook ama bungee on one side, unhook tramp roll up straps, deploy ama, then attach tramp buckles to back ama. I find this easy to do while sitting.
- You can also deploy amas with tramps rolled around front aka's, as they are well above the water.
- To retract a tramp while on the water, simply release the back buckles, pull in the ama, wrap and fasten tramp around front aka.
- Al K

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AI Kube, why do you launch with the ama in, instead of out and locked?

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AI Kube it would be great to see your technique on video. I hesitate to get the tramps because there are often situations that call for a paddle when landing the AI. If one can retract the tramps comfortably while seated this would be a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reconlon wrote:
AI Kube, why do you launch with the ama in, instead of out and locked?

Kayaking Bob

Hi K Bob
- I launch off my dock which is narrow. I just drop AI onto water, get on, and start deploying stuff, which may be zip if I'm going fishing.
~~~~~~~ Al

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:07 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Mark Benson wrote:
AI Kube it would be great to see your technique on video. I hesitate to get the tramps because there are often situations that call for a paddle when landing the AI. If one can retract the tramps comfortably while seated this would be a good thing.

This isn't a video, but you can see how easy it is to set these up. I usually launch and recover with the boat collapsed also. This technique works great in confined space and/or when you want to get going; no problem with propulsion or maneuverability. I simply roll the rig into the water, pull the wheels and set the rigging, launch and unfurl everything as I head out. Recovering, just plug the wheels in, demast and roll ashore!

The tramps are easy to unfurl/furl with the amas partially deployed. Then, with amas out and locked, simply start buckling. Stowing the tramps is just the opposite. I have to lean out on the tramp to reach the last buckle, but that's no problem with the other buckles in place. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mark Benson wrote:

Hi Mark
- Video would be hard for me to do.
- If you see someone with tramps, ask him/her to retract and deploy them on the water. There really is no special technique.
- The pictures and description by Old Salt on this thread is what I do also. Thanks, Old Salt.
- Al

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Al Kube wrote:
Mark Benson wrote:

Hi Mark
- Video would be hard for me to do.
- If you see someone with tramps, ask him/her to retract and deploy them on the water. There really is no special technique.
- The pictures and description by Old Salt on this thread is what I do also. Thanks, Old Salt.
- Al

Mark
- The pictures are by Kayaking Bob, who's an Old Salt on this forum. My bad. Thanks K Bob!
- I've been reading many of Kayaking Bob's posts and find them very informative.
- Al

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your input on the deploying the tramps, it was most helpful. There is a wealth of great AI education on this site for which I am thankful.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The tramps are especially cool for taking the kids out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPry-EDfAjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1xwyHa-Fag

Hobie Adventure Island.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTIq7IhU84Y[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jzk wrote:

Hi jzk
- She's an expert, switching to the windward tramp! Wow, this looks so smooth and easy. Thanks for videos.
- Sailing with kids, and adults too, is the main reason I got tramps.
- Al K

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is another. Watch out for the waves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y8oN9dqFbA

Hobie Adventure Island.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTIq7IhU84Y[/youtube]