Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
rokraider wrote:
I am interested to see how many UK based AI owners are on this forum?
Maybe we could have a get together sometime for a paddle, do our own version of the Broken Bay trip.

My AI lives at Hayling Island Sailing Club in Chichester Harbours entrance. If anyone fancies it, we could always do something from HISC, it has everything including accomodation on site and there is an interesting harbour to explore or nip across to the Isle of Wight or round the corner to Portsmouth?

Sounds a great idea.
I'd like to bring my AI down on my motorhome and perhaps do a weekend.
I'm carrying an injury at the moment, but if you manage to get a regular something going, I'll join when I can.
A couple, or so pints of Horndean Ale sounds very tempting too.

Ger.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds good, we will see how many others respond and sort something out. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks man-I`ll be okay if I make it to September(one month vacation to sail )
thought you were kidding me about living close to the band...
Seen them 6 times.

Happy sailing with the kids...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From my experience of UK beaches, it will be difficult to find a beach that is suitable to launch from due to their pebbly nature.
(Torquay was an exception!!) I suppose you could launch from a launching ramp - somewhere like Littlehampton :roll:
I am assuming we are going to do another Dunkirk invasion of Europe and cross the ditch :P :twisted: :?:
How about Dover to Calais for starters? There's been any number of people swim it and it has even been done on a bicycle (SBK Shuttle Bike Kit). Thirty miles across the ditch doesn't seem unreasonable to me! Who's coming?
I still have some Hardy's Ale (1 May 1978) made by the now-defunct, Eldridge Pope Brewery (est 1881) Not only was/is it the strongest beer in the world, it carries a sign on the label instructing you to not open it until 1988. Guess I forgot :shock:
If we were to re-enact the great armardas or Dunkirk invasion, I think it would be a suitable occasion to open it don't you? :lol: :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

One of the advantages of using Hayling Island Sailing Club as a base, is that it is located on Sandy Point. The beaches are very fine sand (that gets in absolutely everything). Perfect place for launching. and landing. Just head out the harbour entrance and you're in the Solent. The world is your oyster. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This site may be of interest if they would consider an AI.

http://www.goodwillraid.com/

Ger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote=This is for you : If you hankering to cast off for two to three weeks sailing in one of the most beautiful cruising areas in the World. Islands, long sandy bays, rocky inlets, impressive coast lines, welcoming harbours and marinas, local markets, great fresh food, wine and like minded company.
Relax in beautiful surroundings while you travel through the Channel Islands and on to North Brittany to join in some traditional French events with the customary French hospitality.
You can join where you like and leave where you like although we would suggest that if you cannot afford to be away for three weeks that you meet us in St Helier (Jersey) where the Raid hospitality and camaraderie will be in full swing. The programme allows you the weekend of the 1st and 2nd August to get there from the UK or France. Here we will meet up with some of the French boats before sailing to the International Sea Shanty Festival in Paimpol.

The Gourmet Sailor's Route to the Channel Islands & Brittany is not to be missed!

Request a registration form from [email protected]
If you are NOT registered on our website and do not wish to receive anymore Goodwill Raid information from us please reply to this message and put “Unsubscribe” in the subject line. We are sorry to have troubled you.

"Ger"]This site may be of interest if they would consider an AI.

http://www.goodwillraid.com/

Ger[/quote]
[quote][/quote]

Hey Pirate We should add this to our list :wink:
Not too far to Sanday Island either - so you could visit your Scottish land holdings :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mickeymouse wrote:
I am assuming we are going to do another Dunkirk invasion of Europe and cross the ditch

Ummmm, we don't generally regard Dunkirk as an 'invasion' exactly, it was more like a defeat (but please don't tell the Germans what I said) - D-Day, well that was different, made possible only by the involvement of the Heroes from Hobie-land.

Dunkirk was characterised by the motley collection of small craft which crossed the channel to act as ferryboats to carry men from the beaches to the Royal Navy ships anchored off - the AI would have excelled, and would probably have carried 10 men at a time.

There is a very active 'Dinghy Cruising Association' in the UK, which would be very receptive to the nuttiness of the Mirage Drive - check their website

Ditch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Ditch - I appreciate your clarification and preservation of historic facts. :wink: They so often get distorted :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[img]No AI but an adventurous Outback owner in Glasgow.

If I come south you will all have to come to the West Coast. I can't keep THIS all to myself! Look at all those islands! I was there this week. You could spend days in Loch Maree and never get bored!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well I can almost count myself as an owner of an AI, pick her up tomorrow can't wait........ :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Excellent news! If you are around the Portsmouth area ( Hayling Island) over weekend, I will be out in mine if you fancy company. :D

I have put my friend from the sailing club in touch with the guy who was selling the red one on Ebay a couple of weeks back. The sale fell through on E bay and I had sent him a message to let me know if that happened. Hopefully my friend will buy it and we will have a pair of AI's in Chichester Harbour :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,
New AI owner Southcoast 35 miles from Hailing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next