Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone with the standard Hobie kayak sail (not the AI) been hassled or ticketed by officials patrolling the California State Park waterways?

According to the definition on this website http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm they should be registered.

Though I think it is overkill for the state to regulate a kayak with a sail, I am not opposed to doing it, except for having to display the numbers on a small craft.

Any insight or experience with this would be appreciated. I would would love to use my sail without worrying about a ranger hassling me.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:42 am 
Hobie Team Member

Here in NH, anything 12' and up with a sail needs to be registered :roll: Their argument is if it looks like a duck...

We only need to display the sticker, numbers are optional.

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Mark. That seems like a reasonable solution, though the California website is fairly clear about displaying the numbers. I guess I could get it registered and do the same. At least a ranger may look the other way if I have the sticker, even if I don't have the numbers.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:38 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Might not hurt to ask about displaying numbers in advance instead of dealing with a headache.

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

r2000

I have been to most lakes is our area, even disscussed other points of intrest with a ranger. The registered issue has not come up. One dealer sells the AI that way. Might be best to say as little as possible to any ranger about a ticket you may not want. I have not been on a lake with any other AI owners, this is my 2/3 season. Friday at Folsom Lake I did see many kayaks as the level and wind were just great. I had rented a pwc at the ramp for a look around. I do this twice a season as can afford. Mostly stick to Lake Valley across the road from Spaulding up 80. Natomas has many rangers and lots of people from the CSUS. I have used AI and trolling motors there many times, that would be a prime place for ranger activity, none seen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I spoke to a Folsom State Park ranger, and supplied him links to the Hobie website to give him details about the kayak with a sail. Though technically it should be registered, after making inquiries with other rangers, he indicated it is UNLIKELY anyone would write a citation for not having a registration. I should mention how courteous he was in our dialog and how sincere he is keeping the waters safe. I see him as an ally in his efforts to minimize the hazard of wreckless boats and PWC's and crazy schemes concocted by shore-bound people (e.g. a power winch to pull a skier/boarder into shore from 200 feet out on a wire cable).

Last edited by rferre2000 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

For a comparison, here in Illinois all kayaks & canoes have to be titled & registered. They give you 2 stickers for each side but we do not have to display the numbers.

Cost is $13 for title & reg for a 3 year reg. The it is $6 every 3 years. Nothing is said about a sail.

They tell us it tells them how many canoes & kayaks are in an area so they can spend proportionally moneys to develop put-in on the rivers. I would think it costs them that much just for the paper work.
But this is Illinois so don't get me started..............We have a special wing at the federal prison for our past governors.