Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder problems
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought my AI in May and have had it out for sailing probably about twenty times. So far I've had one rudder pin break. I believe that may have happened because the rudder wasn't properly raised when beaching the boat. The fix was easy enough.

In wavy (2 to 3ft) water the rudder seems too small for the boat. I've wondered if when the bow is submerged in waves that the stern comes up and enough of the rudder blade loses contact with the water to render the blade ineffective for a moment. The boat is so stable that this doesn't create an emergency but it is not ideal as far as the boat's performance. Has anyone attached a larger rudder that worked with the AI's breakaway pin mechanism? I saw a post here in which someone fabricated a larger rudder but have not seen a report about how well it worked in the water.

My other and more immediate concern is that on two other occasions (one of them yesterday) the rudder, performing otherwise normally, has suddenly jammed off to one side. Each time the tiller would move but the rudder itself would turn only through half its arc. On both occasions this happened in light seas and with no apparent cause, and put the boat into an uncontrollable turn. Raising and lowering the blade a few times seemed to make no difference. On both occasions the rudder just started working again after a period of being jammed. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced something like this and worked out the cause.

Thanks,

Timo

Post subject: Re: Rudder problems
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It is a continuous source of amazement to me that I can study a question for a week or two, determine there has been no answer to it, post it, and immediately find an answer.

So, there is a jam cleat on the rudder lowering pull that can be used to cleat down pull line and lock down the rudder. This looks relevant and I'll give it a try. Perhaps my rudder has been too free to flop around.

Is this in the operation manual for the AI?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:08 am 
Site Admin

You got it! Pull the down line snug and cleat to hold the rudder down.

Yes, I believe this is covered in the newer manual.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

timo wrote:
It is a continuous source of amazement to me that I can study a question for a week or two, determine there has been no answer to it, post it, and immediately find an answer.

So, there is a jam cleat on the rudder lowering pull that can be used to cleat down pull line and lock down the rudder. This looks relevant and I'll give it a try. Perhaps my rudder has been too free to flop around.

Is this in the operation manual for the AI?

I have just updated mine from the lever type to cables and cleat system. It is a lot better.. Haven't tried it in any real wind yet, spent most of today pedalling. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

I must be looking in the wrong place or the wrong web site. The manual I find on the Hobie support site is this: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/Ad ... Manual.pdf And looking at the section that addresses the rudder I don't see anything about the rudder up/down controls, cleating the down line, changing rudder pins, spare rudder pins, etc. It looks to me like there is just one paragraph mentioning the rudder (titled "Rudder lock down screw") and this seems to refer to a rudder assembly different from the one on my boat (I don't think I see a lock down screw in mine). Is there another manual located somewhere else that covers my 2009 rudder? I've probably got it worked out now but perhaps some future AI owner would find it useful to read an explanation of the rudder controls in the owner's manual.

Thanks,

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think this might help
http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/81391002.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rokraider, how did you go about getting the rudder cable upgrade ? Isn't there a free urgrade available for certain model AI's. Mine's the lever type and I'm thinking of doing the same as you.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Isn't there a free upgrade available for certain model AI's. Mine's the lever type

Every AI should have the line controlled rudder up/down as shown in the tech notes. This is no charge.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5958

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The upgrade is very good, my only complaint is that the T knobs keep cutting the cable where it exits the knob. I have had the cable break on both the up and down haul and am upgrading them to a bobble.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check to be sure any gear in the hull isn't catching the cable/bungee/strap. My first landing with a new hull I pulled the up-line and the handle came off in my hand, I later found while fixing it that the strapping with the bungee was catching on my gear.