Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got my new PA (christened "Will Power" out this morning on a local lake. I took it out more for testing maneuvering and getting used to gear set ups but spent 4 hours enjoying the morning. Fish hit the deck in the first 20 minutes of being out - which made the day that much more of a success. All hopes and expectations met and surpassed.

The only stock equipment I got was the Hobie Livewell. After my initial voyage - I'm going to add pedal weights and some rod holders (I'm sure electronics and an anchor trolley will not be far behind. Very busy lake and I used my Yak Attack safety flag pole, received some compliments on visibility. Car-topping fine using a Yakima Showboat roller system and Aero saddles - no problems hoisting it on top of an SUV (5'9" long in the tooth).

Can't wait to get back out. No problems and only satisfaction to report.

Will -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

no pictures?
glad you enjoyed your first trip out, sounds better than my first PA trip!
I mounted Scotty brand rail clamp rod holders to the grab rails on either side and use tall extensions so the trolling rod handles will have more clearance. I need to move them to the rear of the rails for more clearance when paddleing.
someone on another forum is going to make me an adapter to fit in the mast hole for a humminbird 383C fishfinder and I have to send the transducer back to Humminbird for a through hull type (I don't want to drill any holes on this yak!). I ordered a visipole from Yakattack last week as my PA is the moss color, does not stand out very well on the water.

Last edited by atavuss on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

atavuss wrote:
no pictures?
I mounted Scotty brand rail clamp rod holders to the grab rails on either side and use tall extenstions so the trolling rod handles will have more clearance. I need to move them to the rear of the rails for more clearance when paddleing.
someone on another forum is going to make me an adapter to fit in the mast hole for a humminbird 383C fishfinder and I have to send the transducer back to Humminbird for a through hull type (I don't want to drill any holes on this yak!). I ordered a visipole from Yakattack last week as my PA is the moss color, does not stand out very well on the water.

You know humminbird makes a kit to use the transducer that came with the 383 right? I use the kit with a 565 and have had no problems. Duel cone and temp are perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my PA out for its first fishing trip on Saturday. It was a lot of fun. I was mostly fly rodding for bluegills on a small local lake. Caught a dozen or so. I spent a lot of time peddling around and figuring out the best arrangement for rods and gear. The PA seems to move easier and faster than my Outback did. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the Turbo Fins but I think the hull design also contributes. It was nice to stand up once in while too! It's a great boat. Rigged up the fly rod mount and the anchor trolley Sunday afternoon. I think I'm going to install an Attwood Anchor Rein on the starboard side just forward of the built-in vertical rod holder. I have one of these on my bass boat and use it all the time (that is when I used to use the bass boat :D ). It's a good piece of gear that keeps your anchor line out of sight and out of the way. I'm with you on the pedal weights (don't understand why Hobie hasn't made something like that standard by now). Even though the boat is heavy it's surprisingly easy handle when loading and unloading. It really is well designed. I couldn't be happier!

Congratulations to Hobie one fine fishing boat!

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

EZrider wrote:
atavuss wrote:
no pictures?
I mounted Scotty brand rail clamp rod holders to the grab rails on either side and use tall extenstions so the trolling rod handles will have more clearance. I need to move them to the rear of the rails for more clearance when paddleing.

You know humminbird makes a kit to use the transducer that came with the 383 right? I use the kit with a 565 and have had no problems. Duel cone and temp are perfect.

what does the kit include? how about some pictures?