Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

atavus...thanks for the reply. I was out yesterday, looking for something in my local area, but no one has a portable model...locally. So I continue my research. One of my local folks suggested a normal ff, and power it with a small 12v batt.. He suggested an Eagle model. I'm still looking.
As to GPS, yes, today that isn't all that important to me, as I am not wandering away from this local area (I also have a Garmin 305, that I take along in a water proof box, in the event I should get somewher I am not familiar). :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mainly use the GPS to mark where I have caught fish, to view my speed while trolling, and to see how far I have gone on the water at the end of my trip.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

good points on using the gps. I have a unit I use for my bike...just not waterproof, so keep it in a water proof box with my wallet, keys and cell. I'll have to start it when I get in though...it doesn't register anything except direction unless I start the timer. Thanks for the ideas on how to use it.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I am nearly 66 and my body does not have the strength that it did when I was much younger, and I think the problem of getting in over the cockpit is a lack of upper body strength? Any comments?

Ron,

I've been telling everyone I'm 67 for a while now, and then the other day, got to thinking about that. Turns out I'll be 69 in 2 months; I lost count of the years!!

When speaking of upper body strength, I think that is a must for rescuing yourself when kayaking. I have worked out over the years, but had goofed off for the last 3 or 4, exercising a little, but not much. Six months ago at the urging of my wife who works out 5 to 6 times weekly, I got back into it with the help of her trainer, a lady who is around 40 years-old, a graduate of the Cooper Institute in Dallas, a world renowned exercise intitute, 100 miles north of us, and one heck of a trainer.

When we started, I told Gretchen I wanted strength and endurance, not muscle mass; there is a difference. Women often go for the goals I was seeking, while many men go for muscle mass, the reason for my chosing a woman trainer. It was a great decision. I am not large to begin with, 5'6" and about 165# at 68 years of age. In the 6 months since I have begun, I have stayed about the same weight, but become considerably stronger. I am a veterinarian who does small animals now, after large animals earlier in life, but not all small animals are small. All that designation indicates is the pet that walks through the door is smaller than a cow or horse. I handle 100 plus to 150 pound animals frequently, not necessarily picking them up, because we have lift tables for that, but I do lift them in surgery, with bended knees, from the floor often.

I can tell a major difference now that I've been working out again. Gretchen has me in much better condition, and I have gained both upper and lower body strength. She knows I kayak, fish, hike, backpack in the Texas Big Bend, along with whatever else comes up. My goal is to maintain that lifestyle even though I am growing older.

I plan to buy a Hobie PA in the fall, and with my better condition, I anticipate being able to handle its size with far more more ease. The increased upper body strength will also aid me in getting back in whenever I've fallen out or tipped. I plan to go back in over the stern because of its width, or at least try. In addition to all of that, my chest is going back to where its supposed to be, up near my shoulders, rather than down under my belt. I've not lost weight, but my chest has regained much of its size, and my waist has decreased by 2 inches, soooooooo..........................

My suggestion to you is start working out again, if you're not already doing so!!!!! It will help as you go through life, and it will help more than you can ever dream when paddling, peddling and taking care of yourself in your kayak.

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:16 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I too just bought a 383. I decided to try a rudder mount this time rather than shoot thru mount. I made a slice thru the triangle portion of the t-ducer and through bolted it to the end of the rudder. It is up out of the way when rudder is raised. At the moment, wires run along the gunnel. This may all go inside if sea trials fail but I wanted to try it before going inside.

Battery is a dendoh elec reel battery. Expensive but very compact, durable and long lasting.

FF mount is on the right side gunnel.

Now i just need to transfer all the bloody numbers.

Ted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You mentioned you did a rudder mount for your transducer on your 383. Was that on a PA? If so, could you be a little more specific as to how you did it? I am using the Lowrance 50ds, and I think I might not have gotten the air bubbles out of the marine goo before it dried. I get lots of information on my screen, but not very legible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ray...
Thanks for the great post with regard to physical conditioning. Man I know I should be doing more, and here in my town of Rogers AR we have a wellness center that has a great physical conditioning area...two pools..and everything I need to stay in shape...and it only costs me 25 bucks a year. Can you imagine. It's just getting in the habit of going. I was off work for a year with a pinched nerve and went often. In the pool almost every day. Now that I am better from that, I just don't get started towards the gym like I should. I appreciate the encouragement though. Maybe I'll get back into it.
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Considering the number of replies to my original post, I thought I would take the time to bring you up to speed on my fishing in my PA. Man I am enjoying it. I live close to Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas. It is a COE reservoir that is very large...especially for a Kayak :shock: Being new to this fishing thing..you see I am not working now. ( I saw a bumper sticker once that said "work is for people who don't know how to fish" :lol: ) So you see I am honor bound to "learn to fish". However; I want to catch fish I can eat. I just think if I am going to put in the effort to rob the lake of it's treasures...the least I can do is enjoy the effort by eating my catch. I was out yesterday for about 3 hours, and caught a nice stringer of Bream, which I filleted and put in the freezer until I catch enough that I can have my neighbors in for a fish fry. My point...if there is one, is I am going to learn to catch fish I can eat, not throw back. That includes Trout which are stocked abundantly in the river just below the dams that create these local reservoirs.
Oh yeah, another point is "Miraging" a couple of miles for a guy 65 who is not in real bad shape...but not real good...(Like Ray :) is something to be considered. I decided I would paddle out to this point and fish back. Well I got out there no problem, and caught all the fish I wanted out there, so it was a paddle all the way back...against a 12-15mph wind. I thought I probably wouldn't be able to walk today, but not so bad. Actually, I was out on my bike this morning with my pooch (who BTW went on the yak with me yesterday..get's a little nutsy when I cast, but it was fun having him along) and was really surprised that I could walk :D OK, so hope you all are enjoying your PA's as I am, and Ray...don't wait, go find your Kayak and get on the lake.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron Papworth wrote:
Considering the number of replies to my original post, I thought I would take the time to bring you up to speed on my fishing in my PA. Man I am enjoying it. I live close to Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas. It is a COE reservoir that is very large...especially for a Kayak :shock: Being new to this fishing thing..you see I am not working now. ( I saw a bumper sticker once that said "work is for people who don't know how to fish" :lol: ) So you see I am honor bound to "learn to fish". However; I want to catch fish I can eat. I just think if I am going to put in the effort to rob the lake of it's treasures...the least I can do is enjoy the effort by eating my catch. I was out yesterday for about 3 hours, and caught a nice stringer of Bream, which I filleted and put in the freezer until I catch enough that I can have my neighbors in for a fish fry. My point...if there is one, is I am going to learn to catch fish I can eat, not throw back. That includes Trout which are stocked abundantly in the river just below the dams that create these local reservoirs.
Oh yeah, another point is "Miraging" a couple of miles for a guy 65 who is not in real bad shape...but not real good...(Like Ray :) is something to be considered. I decided I would paddle out to this point and fish back. Well I got out there no problem, and caught all the fish I wanted out there, so it was a paddle all the way back...against a 12-15mph wind. I thought I probably wouldn't be able to walk today, but not so bad. Actually, I was out on my bike this morning with my pooch (who BTW went on the yak with me yesterday..get's a little nutsy when I cast, but it was fun having him along) and was really surprised that I could walk :D OK, so hope you all are enjoying your PA's as I am, and Ray...don't wait, go find your Kayak and get on the lake.
Hey Ron. I just bought a PA and can't wait to get it into the Little Red near Heber Spring, Ar. this weekend. Good to see a fellow PA kayaker in Arkansas. I can't wait to hit the water this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

theo61 wrote:
I too just bought a 383. I decided to try a rudder mount this time rather than shoot thru mount. I made a slice thru the triangle portion of the t-ducer and through bolted it to the end of the rudder. It is up out of the way when rudder is raised. At the moment, wires run along the gunnel. This may all go inside if sea trials fail but I wanted to try it before going inside.

Battery is a dendoh elec reel battery. Expensive but very compact, durable and long lasting.

FF mount is on the right side gunnel.

Now i just need to transfer all the bloody numbers.

Ted

Ted, that sounds vey interesting! any chance you could share pictures with us?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:09 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Pictures of the rudder mount can be found here. Sorry I don't know how to get the pictures to post directly. The GCKFA forum does require you to register (again sorry) but there is no fee.
https://www.gulfcoastkayakfishing.com/f ... p?tid=2813

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

On a completely different thought...I have been fishing in my PA..almost every day since I got it..and you'll know how long that is, as I started this string. What I am wondering, do any of you PA'ers have trouble getting the rudder to turn right? My control is at the front of the seat, and I don't have any trouble turning left (as long as I am moving forward "first"), but turn to the right, and I really have to struggle to move the lever. Any comments? or help would be good too.... :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ps..anyone ever find a way to view Ted's rudder photo's?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:21 am 
Hobie Team Member

My PA has the same problem but to the left. I have to use all of my strength to get the lever to move left and it has to really swing to get any turn at all. Then just a 2 degree move to the right (no muscle required) and the yak swings hard right. It is extremely frustrating and not having good control in the surf zone can be scary.

I have been playing with the tension knob at the bottom of the control handle but have not solved the problem yet.

Any advice from others would be helpful to me as well.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I first got my PA home I had to adjust my rudder because it was out of balance. I recommend taking the black cover off the stern and check the rigging making sure that the rudder is dead center and the knob is dead center. One side could be to tight.

Dan :roll: