Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hobie 14 standard. I have been told that a jib adds to the experience. does anyone have any suggestions on adding a jib or converting to a Turbo. Please[/i][/b]

Post subject: Previous post...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey. Here is a link to a previous post that discusses the 14 Turbo's tendency to pitch pole:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1016

My 14 began as a turbo, but currently she is the standard, race legal rig. I am quite biased against the jib, because at the Shore where I grew up there are about 12 H14's all without the jib. The old time sailors that have owned the 14's since new in the 70s/80s saw the turbo as a marketing gimic. Say goodbye to ½ of the tramp as the blocks for the jib are not located on the front crossbar as with the 16 but squarely in the midsection of the trampoline.

Sailing a unirig is a unique experience that requires more technique to tack and to launch from the beach. Take from this what you will...I am obviously not in favor of the "turbo" conversion.

1983 - H14
1985 - H16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will probably get a conversion but have no idea what to do or what parts to get.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Markopolo90 wrote:
I will probably get a conversion but have no idea what to do or what parts to get.

I have see the complete Tubo kit from the Hobie catalogue. It has everything you need to rig the jib sail, Including the trapeze lines. I'll consider throwing down for it once I get some experience under my belt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought about converting to "turbo," but then I realized it would cost me 300% of what I paid for the boat & trailer and decided against it. 8P

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am selling a turbo Factory furling jib, with furler and bridle wire and upper forestay. I never use them, so if you need them, email me [email protected] and we'll make an arrangement.

As my oldest moved from 14 turbo to 16, I quite rigging the boat as turbo and raced with the other old timers (you know who you are!!) with a uni-rig. The jib make the boat turn a whole lot easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I kinda like my turbo rig-It tacks alot easier. Ijust have to watch that lee bow in higher winds! You can always furl the jib- :lol: - Dave