Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie P.A. in the ocean. l'm thinking of jumping into a Hobie PA. what my big concern is how well does it handle ocean fishing?? l must say l'm already in love with the way this thing is laid out. l read on a post somewhere that they don't handle big water well, and were referred to as flattops or aircraft carriers, well to my way of thinking whats wrong with a flattop in big waters so long as its agile, seaworthy and good to fish from. l think its a winner!! Would appreciate any and all input on this matter from all P.A. owners. Many thanks to all in advance. JIM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use mine 100% in the salt. L.I. Sound, Bays and harbors. I am not so sure i would surf launch it or go offshore. But i have read and seen some that do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:17 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Don't think I would surf launch it either. Not sure about rough weather or strong winds, I would think the individual piloting it has a lot to do with the outcome.

It's fantastic to fish from. I'll have a chance to try it in the salt in a week and a half.

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There's an long and extensive review of the PA's offshore abilities on the Australian Kayak Fishing Forum here: http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=28415 . The writer is a very experienced Hobie kayak fisher, and he reckons it's a far drier and more comfortable ride than either the Adventure or the Revolution in chop and swell, albeit somewhat slower. He says he was amazed by the performance, as he hadn't expected it to handle the conditions.

As far as surf launches/landings go he was only able to try it in small waves which it handled very well, but he couldn't say how well it would handle bigger waves.

There's lots more info in the review and subsequent replies, which is well worth reading for anybody considering the PA for offshore fishing.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mustrumr wrote:
There's an long and extensive review of the PA's offshore abilities on the Australian Kayak Fishing Forum here: http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=28415 . The writer is a very experienced Hobie kayak fisher, and he reckons it's a far drier and more comfortable ride than either the Adventure or the Revolution in chop and swell, albeit somewhat slower. He says he was amazed by the performance, as he hadn't expected it to handle the conditions.

As far as surf launches/landings go he was only able to try it in small waves which it handled very well, but he couldn't say how well it would handle bigger waves.

There's lots more info in the review and subsequent replies, which is well worth reading for anybody considering the PA for offshore fishing.

Cheers,

That is one of the offshore reports i have read. I have been caught out in heavy wind and waves with the PA. It is hair raising in these conditions. Even with experience in small crafts. I think the PA handles chop type waves just fine "as long as your alert and adjust". I never had a problem with wind as some said. In wind the PA doesn't handle any different than other big kayaks or skiffs. I have been on some roller coaster rides with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

EZ ,
WOW !!....Isn't the P.A. a little big to be taking on roller coaster rides ? ....What amusement park did you go to that allowed you to take your P.A. on the rides ? .....Now that's LOVE for the P.A. !!....Jim
( Sorry, I couldn't resist ) ..... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There are at least 2 or 3 PAs in use out of Corpus and the mid-Texas Gulf Coast on the Gulf of Mexico, and no one has mentioned problems. Any kayak is going to be in trouble in strong winds, tides and waves in the Gulf of Mexico where many kayakers venture out 3 or 4 or more miles to oil rigs while shark fishing, and sometimes there is no choice if you hook up with a big one an get a few miles of sleigh ride.

In the Gulf when hooked, all shark head to Cuba, so the saying goes, "If you hook up with a big one, bone up on your Spanish!!" :D Seriously, by using common sense, watching the weather and trying not to do too many foolish things, everyone I know has survived there so far.

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:24 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I have taken my PA into the Gulf in very rough conditions. Last Saturday we had 20-25 MPH winds plus a 4 Mph current in the same direction. My buddy (Hobie Outfitter) hooked a king Mack and ended up a mile away in a heartbeat. It was hard for me to hold position over a bottom spot but no problem making way against the wind and current. Waves hit form all angles and I never felt even the slightest tendency to tip.

Surf is no problem. Going out is almost the same as my AI. Waves hit. I scream with excitement and head into the next one. Coming in is much better than the AI. Gear is much more secure in the PA and the Akas are not forcing you straight with a pitchpole risk.

With the PA I pull the pedals, lift the rudder and the thing side slips way better than other models that are more prone to roll. I drifted a wave sideways for about 30 yards. IT was way cool.

Enjoy the PA.
Ted

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not the type of craft to launch oceanside. Maybe from the bay into the ocean? Don't get me wrong, the PA is a hell of a machine; just that Jon boat type boats don't do well in the surf.

mcattardo , I'm trying to reach you. Email me at [email protected] if you can. Thanks!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:20 am 
Hobie Team Member

Waist high waves were no problem on several different occasions. I know Gulf of Mexico waves tend to be smaller than either the East or West coasts but I dont see how the PA is any different than other yaks. If nothing else, the gear is stowed so much tighter that a roll would be less of a garage sale if it did happen.

Sifisto, tell me more about your concerns.

Ted

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a video of MPD510 launching the ProAngler in the surf, It's the Papaya/mango (yellow) one which gets out there faster ... http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb55 ... 110028.flv

He does well shark fishing etc beyond the breakers and out at the oil rigs in the ocean on the ProAngler.

Also, here is is out beyond the breakers. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12751&hilit=proangler+shark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just want to thank all you guys for your replies, l'm very convinced the PA will handle anything l would care to do. Please keep the replies coming, l really like reading about all the different expierences of the PA. JIM