Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 2003 Getaway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had my Getaway since August, 2003, and I still love this boat as much now as I did when I first got it. I have made very few purchases that have been as consistently satisfying and rewarding as my Getaway.

I learned to sail on a Laser, but eventually wanted something that both my wife and I could enjoy together, and in comfort. We bypassed the Wave and got a Getaway; I remember being a bit concerned at first that it was going to be too big. However, it is just right for my needs, and apparently had room to grow with me.

I now have 2 kids (age 2.5 and 4.5) and this is the first summer that they are old enough to come with us on light sails. It is so nice to have the whole family out.

After 6 years, my boat has been very little trouble. I take care of the rigging, and since I live in Ontario Canada I can only sail for around 4 months of the year, it shows little wear. I have a bit of spalling at the base of the the comp-tip, as my dealer did not epoxy the mast when I purchased it. I bought the boat at Fogh marine in Toronto. I went back this summer to ask about picking up an epoxy kit to prevent further wear at the comptip, and they gave me a kit and some great instructions on how to do it. Once this season is over I will give it a try.

Sure, the Getaway does not point as well as my Laser, and it can be a trick sometimes to bring it about in big waves, but for my needs, it is about as close to the ideal boat as it's gonna get. Comfortable, fun, fast, responsive; Every time I sail it, I think what a great boat it is.

Here's a shot of my boat at 6 years of age. I hope you are all enjoying your Getaways as much!

Mark

Post subject: Re: My 2003 Getaway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah mate,still enjoying my getaway,had mine since 2003 as well.I dont use the wings or front tramp anymore and whenever i can i race it,surprisingly doing very well and beating boats (cats) that are rated faster,pretty good for a boat designed for comfort.Would like to go faster so i am thinking of making a roller furling gennaker for it, much easier than a spinnaker,i imagine the thing would absulutely fly with a gennaker.
The getaway is the best all round 16 footer ever made.
Tasmanias only getaway sailor