Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,
New to Hobies, but have picked up a vintage 14 here in Melbourne, Australia to restore. It had a few holes, but otherwise the hulls are good, with no delam. The post # is 1779, which I think makes it a pre-73 boat ( wow!). It's mostly OK, except for ....
The assembly manual shows the rear traveller on the cross bar and some sort of a cam in front of the traveller, right? I have a traveller which is secured by two ropes with sort of jam cleat on either side of the cross bar - i.e the traveller is fixed in place within the rail.
Has anyone heard of this setup - is this a really early boat or has it been hacked up? There are definitely no holes in the cross bar where to bolt on the cam.
.. am totally mystified, will post a photo as soon as I can work out how to do it.
PS
Is anyone Melbourne based and if so, where's the best place to drop the Hobie in the bay?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:18 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

wolfcat wrote:
I have a traveller which is secured by two ropes with sort of jam cleat on either side of the cross bar - i.e the traveller is fixed in place within the rail. Has anyone heard of this setup - is this a really early boat or has it been hacked up? There are definitely no holes in the cross bar where to bolt on the cam. .. am totally mystified, will post a photo as soon as I can work out how to do it.

That's the original traveller system on both the 14 and 16. A metal slide with 3 holes - one for the blocks and 2 for the traveller lines - and a Teflon bearing that lasts about 2 seconds under load.

It's probably the worst design ever imagined. If you want to have a working traveller, you need to replace it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for that. it doesn't appear to be broken (little bent though), where does the bearing go?
problem is that all the parts lists show the new, larger kind like this one
http://www.sailsportmarine.com/images/TravCar.jpg
and what about the swiwel cam?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The bearing was made out of the same material as the stock mast bearing chips. It was rectangular, with rounded ends. It had a slot in the middle that slipped over the center part of the original slide. It was too soft to last any length of time. There was no center cleat. There were two traveller lines - one tied to each of the side holes of the traveller slide and then led to the v-jam cleat on that side. It's hard to convey how useless this system was. It truly, truly sucked.

The image you posted is the descendant of the Tracker traveller car invented to replace the stock car. You'll need to add the center swivel cleat to make it functional.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yes, that's the one that you're describing. i must have a very early build (1779) becuase i hav never seen another one anywhere
unless you tell me that i will get a measurable increase in performance by adding the new style traveller ( and the cam), i may just leave it fixed in place in the centre!
if i wanted to leave the existing system, where would i get the bearing from?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:10 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You'd have to make your own bearing - they haven't been available for probably 30 years.

The boat is almost impossible to handle off the wind without a traveller. You need to upgrade.

Unfortunately, after so many years, the traveller track may be so damaged on the inside that you'll need to replace it, too.

Most people gave up on replacing the bearing, so the solid steel traveller car, once it had shed its bearing, chewed up the aluminum track.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Wolfcat I'm Melbourne-based and looking to buy a Hobie 14 too. I just joined the port Melbourne Yacht Club (www.pmyc.asn.au) and am hoping to store the boat there. Looks like a great club, and a very reasonable price.

Good luck with the resto. If you end up selling your H14 or know of another one for sale, please let me know!

stuart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a picture of this old system on the post labled ( am i missisng somthing ). I am also interested in changing the system so if you come up with anything
let me know. thanks