Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedals
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can anyone recommend quality pedals for use on the Outback? It looks as though I'm going to have to replace some pedals real soon.

I don't mean bicycling clip-in types, but pedals that can be used barefooted that will survive use in water - pedals that have sealed bearings. I don't want Hobie replacements because the cheap pedals are falling apart after just two months of use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't heard about pedals failing. That is a new one. They rust... or discolor, but we have used them since day-one without real issue beyond cosmetics. These pedals were used due to the broad surface for the bare foot. We are almost ready with a new pedal designed specifically for the Mirage. They should be available this winter.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have four pedals - two drive units. One pedal spins smooth as the first day I used it. The other turns very hard. Those are the UNION pedals that seem to be of better quality than the new pedals with no name.

The plastic end plug has already disappeared on one new pedal and of course, rusting is occurring. It worries me that this pedal has a lot of play in it compared to the other pedals. The pedal has not failed yet and could last a long time, or maybe not. All I know is I have four pedals and the behavior of each is drastically different from the other ones, so I am in the market for replacements.

I want a pedal that is used barefooted. If I were to install clipless pedals and wear cycling shoes, me feet would be banging the end of the hull or the left and right edges of the hull. If Hobie has some new pedals coming out this winter, I'll cross my fingers and hope these hold together until then or temporarily replace them with the $10 pedals.

Post subject: Re: Pedals
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
We are almost ready with a new pedal designed specifically for the Mirage. They should be available this winter.
What is the status on the new pedal design for the Mirage?

Post subject: New Pedals
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

We will have the first inventory in the next week or so. I understand that these will come as a unit... pedal and crank shaft as one. The pedals are press fitted to the crank shafts. The cost is likely to be only slightly higher than the original pedal replacements by themselves. This is not yet offered to dealers. When I get them in I will review the assemblies and pricing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: New Pedals
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
When I get them in I will review the assemblies and pricing.
Have not heard anything about the new pedals in two months. Are they available yet? Will the pedals become standard issue on new kayaks? Are the bearings sealed?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:05 am 
Site Admin

The new pedals are now being used in production. The crank shafts are hollow. The pedals are press fitted onto the cranks, so pedal replacements are an assembly including the crank. The change made the drive weight drop down to 6.6 lbs.

There are no bearings, so no rust potential.

I have not yet made pricing for the replacements, but will try to get that done this week.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Pedals
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
I have not yet made pricing for the <pedal> replacements, but will try to get that done this week.
Any idea when you will set the redesigned pedal replacement prices? What mechanism and material is used for the pedal parts if bearings are not used?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Admin

The new pedal itself is plastic and rotates on a shaft. No bearings. This is the same as the old pedals.

The biggest differences are that the pedal rides on a stainless steel shaft now rather than steel. The second big difference is that the crank shaft is hollow and lighter.

The new pedals come with the crank shaft because the pedal is press fitted onto the shaft.

Replacements are:

81221 Left
81222 Right

Current pricing is shown as $37.95. This includes the pedal and the shaft connected. I am working on a new kayak accessories catalog. This will be distributed by May and will include all of the new stuff.

By the way, there is a new parts diagram in the support area of the Hobie website that shows these part numbers.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/index.html

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/Mi ... _Parts.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)