Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
Hammond wrote:
Are you required to give room at a downwind finish? i.e. Port Starboard or inside overlap?

Yes. Each end of the finish line is a mark. If you're coming in on port tack, by definition, you're overlapped with all the starboard tack boats. Once you're in the zone, you can call for room, but you need to bear off / jibe at the left hand mark (looking upwind) to preserve your rights.

Not knowing that rule well enough cost me two posistions in the final race at the N.A's this year,which put me from 14th overall to 16th (out of the trophies) :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Little Wing wrote:
Well....that clears things up...... I think I'll stick to being the guy that is out there taking the mile long reaches, all day long, not on the course.

I'd suggest you try a regatta or two before coming to that conclusion...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have raced and crewed many times. it's just is not for me. My time is valuable to me and when there is wind I like to sail, preferably the longer on one tack the better, miles to be exact. Also To many times on a large body of water the wind is better somewhere other than the course. I do support racing and help with regattas, but the most fun for me is long distance sailing and just screaming along on my Hobie with NO rules.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Little Wing wrote:
I'm confused... is it important to know the rules or not?

Didn't you answer your own question regarding this issue a few months ago??....

Quote:
In my opinion the rule book and interpretation of the rules is at least 50% of buoy racing...

...OK let me be more specific, if you want to win or be in the top 3 you have to know the rule book.

If you're not into racing, fine, no big deal. But why the need to push the anti-racing vibe in the RACING forum?

sm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
If you're not into racing, fine, no big deal. But why the need to push the anti-racing vibe in the RACING forum?

sm

I have to agree, if you just want to stir the pot, go to Sailing Anarchy, they LIKE that kind of stuff. As a matter of fact they THRIVE on it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I never said i was anti racing, in fact it was me, that got our fleet moved to a div. that would enable MORE racing, with less travel. Simply responding to an obvious difference in opinion between sailors as pertains to rules. That is the thread isn't it? Looks like some guy's take themselves to seriously.