Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA- Sacramento
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got a new hobie 16, and I've never sailed one before. I've had a few small mono hulls years ago, but never a hobie. Any suggestions on where I can take it out?

Anywhere within 1 1/2 - 2 hours of Sacramento is good.

A few non-hobie owners suggested that Lake Berryessa might be good. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never been to Lake Berryessa, but I have sailed my H16 at Clear Lake. It was outstanding! Great winds! Great camping facilities. It's the largest lake in Calif. Tahoe is larger, but not entirely in Calif. I wish Clear Lake was closer to San Diego. It's the second best lake I've sailed on. Also, good launching facilities for your catamaran. Highly recommended!
Good Luck! Richard

Post subject: Sacramento
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

That is where I had my first 16.

Other places to sail...

Folsum Lake: Big lake lots of ramps
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=500

Rancho Seco: I liked this place. Small but fun.
http://www.smud.org/about/recreation/rancho.html

Rio Vista: On the Sacramento River. There is a public ramp just west of the town. Windy and warm in the summer. Great windsurfing spot...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hows it goin man!
Sorry, I see I'm a couple months late to help you out, but I thought I'd add my two cents now that I just joined the forums =]
I have a 16 Blue Streaker and we always went to Woodward Lake outside of Oakdale. It was really convenient for us since we were in Modesto, but man! GREAT wind! Early morning 7-9 or 11 is double trap weather, the afternoon is kinda mellow, then it picks up again at 3. Sailboat cove is the popular spot, but I dont like to park the boat on a windward shore, so I always went back by the stables and then tacked my way out to the dam where the best wind is. Last sail of the day made for a nice downwind butterfly run to our camp. Sunset to the back, great sail to take a lady on.
I would reccomend a wetsuit. I always wear a 2/3mil durring the winter and spring. The wind that comes through around easter just cant be beat! It's a bit too cold to hang out at the lake in April, but if you have a wet suit you will have a GREAT time!
Hope that helps!
Justin now of San Diego

Post subject: Clear Lake Ca
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I had a question about Clear Lake. Can any one give more details about where good places to camp are. I've called a few campgrounds and they all have launching facilities, but they won't let you pull your boat up on the beach. Let me know where you've stayed and what you've thought about them.

Thanks,

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sorry I forgot the name of the campground we stayed at. It was in the town of Lakeport. We camped right on the water & pulled the H-16 up on the grass every afternoon. We slept on it with our sleeping bags every night. The launch ramp was just outside the campground. I believe the name was Will-o-something??? or Willow something???
You might want to try the Lake County Visitor Information Center (707)263-9544 or (800)525-3743.
Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just did some research & found it:
Will-O-Point Resort
One First Street, Lakeport, CA 95453
(707)262-5896
Launching, sailing & camping were great. Restrooms were just adequate.
You're right by a small town - Lakeport, so you don't have to cook. Rent jet skiis before the wind comes up. It has a reputation for outstanding bass fishing. The water temp. in June was comfortable for swimming.
If it were within 100 miles of San Diego, I'd be there often in the spring, summer, & fall.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the help. I've called just about every campground on the lake and very few allow tent camping, and of those none of them allowed for a boat to be pulled up on the beach. This place sounds perfect for beach cat camping!!!

Thanks again,

Adam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Jon,

Below is a link to the Hobie Fleet 2 web site. We are in the Sacto area and get to many of the nearby lakes during the season. Come join us.

Ken
Commodore
Hobie Fleet 2

http://fleetforum.dyndns.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey,

We have a house on the water in Lake Port. Clear Lake is huge and is overall a great place to sail in the afternoon. The best part is, there are hardly ever any boats out there. If you make it up there and see a Hobie 21, give us a wave, we are the only 21 I beleive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jon,

Having only had an H16 a few weeks I am hardly an authority, but I have had several really great days on Lake Berryessa. Capell Cove has a free boat launch, but it can be tricky to get out to the middle of the lake. The cove is rather tight requiring some quick tacks (or gybes) depending on the wind.

The weekends tend to be rather crowded, but midweek you will have the launch to yourself.

I had my boat out at Folsom Lake on Wed, but managed to break the upper mast casting before we got off the trailer. Folsom seems like it might be more forgiving for a beginner. (I plan to head back soon!)

Happy sailing!

Matt