Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flippin' the boat
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

I've just put Rick White Power Righter righting pole on my new/used '01 Getaway. I'd like to be able to flip it under controlled conditions just off the beach on a light day in order to verify the installation and basically just practice righting her a few times before having to do it for real in a blow. I have wings on her so it seems to me that levering her over on the beach will put all of the weight of the boat on the wing framework and locking-pins - don't wanna do that. I folded the wing up, but it still seems like the wing will get most of the weight of the boat. At 400+ pounds it seems a little too heavy to just be able flip her over in the water. Any ideas?

I've been out a dozen times so far. What a blast with the family (and I'm a windsurfer speed snob :D !)

Best,

Dave Killmer

Post subject: Re: Flippin' the boat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the beach is not really simulating a true flip, wait for a calm day, take the boat into 4 or 5 feet of water, pull the boat over and try to right it several times. The point is to get the feel for how the boat reacts when you stand on the bottom hull and try to pull her over. Also when it comes over you can practice holding on to the upwind side of the boat so it doesn't go over the other way. That's what happen to me 25% of the time :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Roy,

Yeah, I guess that's the problem - how to flip the boat in the water. It seems far too stable to get it over very easily in the water, no?

- Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dave,

It isn't as hard as you might think. Pick a calm day with plenty of room. Head the boat up into the breeze, stand up on the wing, grab the shroud, lean back, and the boat will fall over is what seems like slow motion. If you have crew with you, having them on the same hull that you are on will make it even easier.

We do this drill as a family each fall at the beginning of our sailing season. It reminds us all of what we will need to do if (when) we dump the boat while we are sailing. It takes all of the mystery out of what the boat will do. The first time we did this many years ago my son was very nervous about "breaking the boat". His fears were completely erased when he discovered how cool it was to be able to climb way up into the air to get on top of the hull that was now in the sky. And how way cool it was to jump off of the skyward hull back into the lake.

I make sure to practice righting the boat with crew and just by myself. It gives you great confidence to know that you can successfully right the boat without outside assistance.

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

it's easy, just sit on the wrong side (downwind) in a light breeze, i do this to tempt and anger the wind gods when it's not windy enough. you can fly a hull or flip in almost no wind, but the wind always picks up when it sees me in this vulnerable position, then i jump over to windward and enjoy the strong breeze.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We've practiced flipping and righting the boat several times. ALSO, we've flipped it UNINTENTIONALLY over the years in heavy winds. Let me add some SPECIFICS to help others, as this is a serious safety issue anyone with a Getaway or other catamaran should master.

1) Practice flipping and righting in a calm and SECLUDED area. You don't want to practice in Annapolis harbor or other busy area or you will be "rescued" by numerous boaters--especially the powerboaters.

2) Once you flip it, unsheet and LOOSEN the sails. You don't want the boat taking off without you once you get it upright.

3) Whether you're alone or with others, stand on the bow or towards the FRONT of the sunken hull. This will cause the boat to turn INTO the wind, and the mainsail, now laying in the water, catches whatever breeze there is, helping to right the boat. Also, allready dead into the wind, it's less likely to take off without you. Then grab a line or the wing above you, helping to pull the boat over and upright.

4) Finally, make sure the boat doesn't HIT you or others on the head as it comes over. Not funny! And make sure you have a hold on it so it doesn't take off without you. Practice this, and when you NEED to do it, it's not as big a deal, even in rough conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great advice and commentary here, but at the risk of stating the obvious, don't go out without the bob!

My first, bobless, unplanned flip led to a complete turtle which you simply can't recover from without some powerboat assistance. My next, bob-equipped flip in much worse lake conditions, was easy to recover from, even with just my weight (210lbs) on the righting line.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My favorite story of flipping was of the day out on my lake in perfect sailing conditions. One of the other Getaways was out sailing doublehanded, I was singlehanded. It was blowing about 18 so we were both going really fast. On one of the tacks we were close to each other and you know what that does - you start to race.

Well, as you know, when the boat accelerates in those conditions the leeward bow wants to dig in so you scoot back towards the aft end of the wing (I don't have a wire). I was being a bit cocky since my lesser weight on the boat had me going faster than my neighbor. I wanted to scoot aft just a little more to lift the bow and wasn't paying as close attention as I should have. I scooted right off the back of the wing and into the water. With my weight suddenly off of the boat of course it went right over. It had to be spectacular for everyone that was watching!

Fortunately, I had a death grip on the main sheet so keep it contact with the boat. My impact into the water caused my dive watch band to release and it went right to the bottom of the lake. My neighbors sailed up to me and the crew jumped off of their boat to help me right mine.

That's what happens when you get cocky!

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OT - hey Phil. I see from your post you are in or around Annapolis. I sail my Getaway on the Magothy.

I find it harder to actually get back up on the boat after a flip than actually righting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi captain--I/We usually sail it from Annapolis across the Ches. Bay and back. Trailer it from N. Va. Don't go out unless the wind is at least 10 kts. The rougher the better, up to a point. The Magothy is a great venue. Find it harder to get back ON the boat? You must be as old as I am. The wings are a great help, and make the Getaway a great boat.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

iresq wrote:
I find it harder to actually get back up on the boat after a flip than actually righting.

Last time I climbed back from the back crossbar. Seemed lower than from the side of the hull, and I had more grip.

The wings are a great help, and make the Getaway a great boat.

Personally, I hate the wings. I bought the boat partly for them, but it turned out that I removed them.
I like the boat much better without, as I can really feel the boat sitting on the hull and hiking out while flying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Biggest draw back to the wings if when the boat starts to heal over the dig in the water and really slow the boat down, if I was 20 years younger I would take the off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with crobiecat about the wings, I enjoy the boat a lot more with no wings, being able to hike out and trap out. That being said, I have used the wings in rare ocassions, like having a bunch of people, especially inexperienced, who want a more comfortable ride with little wind while driking a beer, as opposed to a hard core high wind sailing.

hey, crobiecat, I have a problem with the boat being slippery when sitting (especially while wearing a wetsuit), my butt just tries to slide forward or backward as crazy as I pull a sheet, or go over a wave, etc.... do you have any recommendation to get the sitting area to have more grip?

thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gmozavala wrote:
I agree with crobiecat about the wings, I enjoy the boat a lot more with no wings, being able to hike out and trap out. That being said, I have used the wings in rare ocassions, like having a bunch of people, especially inexperienced, who want a more comfortable ride with little wind while driking a beer, as opposed to a hard core high wind sailing.

hey, crobiecat, I have a problem with the boat being slippery when sitting (especially while wearing a wetsuit), my butt just tries to slide forward or backward as crazy as I pull a sheet, or go over a wave, etc.... do you have any recommendation to get the sitting area to have more grip?

thanks,

I don't find trapping out very fun on this boat. At first, I even wanted to install a second trap, but after a while, I changed my mind, and prefer hiking out now.
The boat does not seem to be designed for trapeze, unlike for the H16 where it is a real blast.

As for the hull being slippery, I don't have that problem myself. May be because I am light and short, and I just sit comfortably on the hull.
May be it is because I wear the trap harness, which in fact should be more slippery, one would think.
May wife does not complain about slipping either.

However, my friend who is much taller and heavier keeps complaining about the hull being slippery, and indeed he was moving all over the place last weekend.
It crossed my mind that may be I should glue the type of seat they use on the Hobie wave, but I don't know it it is possible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I don't find trapping out very fun on this boat. At first, I even wanted to install a second trap, but after a while, I changed my mind, and prefer hiking out now.
The boat does not seem to be designed for trapeze, unlike for the H16 where it is a real blast.

Really? I wonder why that is.... I have sailed Hobie 16s for a while and enjoyed the trap a whole lot (I guess we agree on that)... nothing more exciting than flying a hull with two people in the trap.... especially knowing how pitchpole-prone H16s are.

I got the Getaway just a few weeks ago and haven't gone out in the trap much (I have been going out with people who are not very experienced and they could get me swimming easily). I'll try the trap more and see how it feels. I ended up installing the double trapeze anyways (restudied my engineering analysis and concluded again that with only two people on the boat, in the trap, there is no additional down-force in the mast than for example having 3 people in the wing and 2 more people on the boat). I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully will be able to do it this weekend.

I guess as I trap more I'll see what you are saying....

Guillermo