Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I broke down and got a set. Yes they are a bit pricey but they are exceptionally well made and indeed quite substantial. Have not used them yet.

I have seen pics where the tramp is placed below the diagonal Aka brace assemble.
Is there anyone installing these above the brace?

It sure looks like they fit better that way. Tighter, slightly higher, and less puckered.
Also, there is less likely that any lifting of the tramp would lift off the brace cap; with the tramp over the brace it would keep you from hitting the brace when you slid on & off the boat.

Any thought, feedback comments?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't put the tramp over the diagonal aka brace?

TIA

Yakaholic

Last edited by Yakaholic on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried both ways. Could just be me, but it seemed like keeping the tramps on top of the brace put undue pressure on it. And, in case something goes wrong, it would be much easier for me to access the brace with the tramps below than above. <shrug>

Individual taste, perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:07 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I've tried both but prefer the over the brace method -- seems a little easier to get on and off the tramp. No problems either way though. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
I've tried both but prefer the over the brace method -- seems a little easier to get on and off the tramp. No problems either way though. 8)

On top then. - Good enough reason for me - :P Thanks!

While on land tried both configurations and the over the brace method just intuitively felt & looked better. I was still able to unhook the brace easily enough with the tramp over it, and the tramp seems to protect the brace from accidentally hitting it while sliding around. A passenger on the tramp might inadvertently grab the brace if it was above. Obviously you don't want to put much weight on the brace in either configuration.

I really do like the quality of the tramps and anxious to take them on the water.

One use for the tramp may come about when I'm with a group of other kayakers in an open water crossing; if someone gets in trouble, the tramp will make a stable rescue platform.

Thanks also Timmain for the feedback - it may, like you say, be a more of a personal preference than anything to do with engineering.

Yakaholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put it under as it seemed like it would not be good for it over.

Hobie Adventure Island.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTIq7IhU84Y[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I used tramps first time yesterday sailing to Cumberland island. Put them on in the over-the- brace fashion and had no problems. I love what they do for sailing! :D

Sitting cross-legged on the windward side tramp was a refreshing change to sitting in the seat. Much better forward vision, increases fun factor.

Also sat out on the front of the tramp with the sail rolled in to paddle out of the mud to deeper water. Sliding on and off tramp for landing and launching was much easier than I thought.

I will report any problems if my tramp attachment damages the braces - but so far so good.

Tramps are money well spent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I totally agree.. I initially thought the price was too high for the tramps... since several uses they are very well made and add so much to the boat. The better half is loving them the most.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Definitely tramp over the brace. This keeps it safely out of the way of people or cargo on the tramp.

I've also found that the tramp really helps me in climbing aboard in deep water.

I'm somewhat disabled - nearly lost an arm and leg a couple of years ago in a traffic mishap. They're patched together now with lots of titanium - but I still have reduced mobility and nowhere near my former strength. I can't do the "pushup" method of entering the cockpit from deep water, but I've always gotten by with just sitting into it from shallow water. But now with a tramp deployed I can step onto the Ama, it pushes down under water (I'm a heavyweight at 250 lbs) into a nice stair step position from which I pivot and lie directly on the tramp and roll into the cockpit. It may not look dignified, but it gets the job done.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi

I have mine under because that's the way I was shown but over is worth a try.

Has anyone worked out what the eyelets are for? I was giving some thought to lashing across the tramps for more support but not sure if it will interfere with the mirage drive

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Brisailer wrote:
Hi
Has anyone worked out what the eyelets are for? I was giving some thought to lashing across the tramps for more support but not sure if it will interfere with the mirage drive

I was wondering the same thing about the eyelets. I think Hobie just put them there for convenient places to lash your gear to. I haven't figured out any other functional use for them. I suppose they could also be used to attach the edge of the tramp to the gunwales but I'm not exactly sure how that would work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Grommets? These are for gear / lanyard attachment.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Grommets? These are for gear / lanyard attachment.

Ahhh, actually I didn't know exactly what they were for either but I've been attaching lanyards there :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So then, what do you do with the lanyards?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
So then, what do you do with the lanyards?

Tie them to the grommets! :D
(and to stuff you don't want to loose)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Grommets? I use them occasionally to tie down loose bikini tops. 8)

But seriously, I install tramps over the braces, as pictured in the user guide. Makes it so easy to slide side to side and steer from the tramps with a hiking stick. Lately, I have taken to just laying down - leaning back with the cleated sheet and letting the boat do all the work, in perfect balance.

I may just strap a stuffed dry bag out there as a headrest to complete the pose. (Or that friend with the bikini can use it).

These tramps are a must have. You will love them. So many uses.. You may even save a life with them.
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=26642

Couple of observations though:

Tramps add rigidity to the akas, (and to the overall boat) making it feel more robust in wind and waves. You will not hear the rattling of metal or worry that the amas are going to pop when things heat up. I had a crossbrace get knocked open while someone was out on the tramp and I did not even realize it happened. Nothing collapsed. It sailed on.

This comes at a small price though.

It means that if something does work loose, it can be very difficult to reinsert that brace or ama because of all the torque on the bars. And of course, the problem is worse with your weight on them. You may need to loosen or unclip the tramps to fix things. Fortunately, this takes just seconds to do.

When it's time to assemble the front akas, I still find it awkward to align the members and insert the locking pin with the rolled tramps in the way.

When assembling or launching the AI, they will make it harder for you to reach your rudder cleat, mirage well and other cockpit areas.

When you need to fold your amas, you'll have to do it with the tramps unclipped.

Naturally, you won't be able to paddle with them out (an easy situation to predict or fix)

The port paddle rest is positioned in your way as you hike around and you may wish to just bungee the paddle to the edge nearest the ama instead.

Tramps can be tricky and add a degree of drag/sideslip in higher winds. It's doubtful that a wind could push you over, but a breaking wave certainly could.

Should you ever uncouple them in high winds, look out! Tramps make awesome sails.

Hey -Now there's a hinky idea for getting a little extra speed,...