All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Can you rename a boat?
Poll ended at Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:33 pm
yes 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
no 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I'm Ryan from Tyler Tx. I just got a hobie and want to race but dont know where.
I bought a used hobie 16 from a friend. it has everything on it needed to race as far as I know. My main question is about the hulls....They have soft spots on the insides of the bow back to the begining of the tramp and on has a soft spot on top right in front of the tramp. How do i fix that? will it last a season of racing? It has 2 main sails both need mending. Where is the best place for this in texas(good price and work)? He said one of the main sails is a race sail, I dont see any differance other than color. will there be a big differance in the 2?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

To get into one-design racing, you're going to have to travel. Hobie Fleet 23 in Dallas is the closest active fleet - unless you can get four friends with Hobies and start / reactivate a fleet in Tyler.

As far as your boat goes, do a forum search for "soft spot repair" - there's a lot of info out there.

However, your soft spots sound large and in a very critical location. Fixing them could be expensive and will make the boat heavier. It's unlikely your boat would last a hard sail (without repair), much less a full season on racing.

This is what happens when you have soft spots where you have them:

Mariner Sails in Dallas can fix your sails for you and give you advice on your boat (they're a Hobie dealer): http://www.mariner-sails.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Thats what I have got from looking around but was hoping I could get a year out of it before repair or replacement. When I fix it will it weight so much more that I wont be able to be compeitive? Do they race non-single design races more often?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I don't know what's specifically in your area as far as racing goes. You'll need to do a little research.

The money you would spend on fixing the boat would probably be better spent on replacement hulls or another boat. Seriously. It sounds like the areas are large and would soak up a lot of epoxy. Epoxy = $$$

Your boat is probably already heavy to begin with. Take the hulls off and weigh them. New hulls are in the 67-74 lb range. New boats all up weigh less than 320 lbs. Any boat older than 25 years is going to weigh 340+

Competitive racing 16s are almost always less than 15 years old. There are exceptions, but they're few and far between.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ryan,

Welcome to Hobie sailing in the "local" area. I live in Bossier City, LA, and just finished my first season with the Hobie 20. MBounds is right, Fleet 23 in Dallas is the way to go for you. Although it's a 3 1/2 hour drive to Dallas for me, I've attended three Fleet 23 regattas this year. They are a great bunch of folks, put on first class regattas, and will make a new guy feel right at home. You should join their fleet and get involved with their events. The best way to learn this sport is to get together with other sailors and PARTICIPATE. The Fleet 23 crowd, to include their regular visitors from Oklahoma, Arkansas, the Austin area, and even a couple of other sailors from Tyler, are very knowlegable and are extremely generous when it comes to helping a new guy. Their website is http://www.hobiefleet23.com/.

The Hobie dealer in Dallas is Mariner Sails, owned by Aris Tsamis. He and his staff are very knowlegable and can help you find a solution to any problem that you might have. They have a wide selection of Hobie parts and accessories and if they don't have something you need, they'll get it for you. Their site is http://www.mariner-sails.com/.

Now to address your most vexing problem: getting into racing with soft hulls. MBounds spelled it out pretty clearly. My H20 was 11 years old when I bought it. Although it had solid hulls, just about everything about it had been jury rigged. A lot of parts were missing. I've spent a small fortune bringing a derilict boat back from the brink and I didn't have to contend with soft hulls. To make the boat competitive, I'll need to buy a new set of sails. The skipper still has a lot to learn about tuning and racing the boat. You can drop a ton of money into an old boat, but with soft hulls I still don't think yours will be competitive. However, here's hope: there is a fiberglass repair shop on Lake Ray Hubbard run by Robert Cummings. He's very, very, good. He does Hobie warranty work for Mariner Sails and is a Hobie sailor himself. He fixed my boat after I T-boned a Y-Flyer (not my fault, but an another good story) and ripped open both bows. The number for Cummings Marine is (214) 341-1626. Let him take a look at your boat. If anyone can recover your boat, he's the one.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but as a guy that's racing an older boat, I thought that my perspective might be helpful. Click on my profile for my private email address, shoot me a line, and I'll reply with the names of a couple of Hobie sailors in the Tyler area.

Hope this helps.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My last post in this thread may have come across as being more discouraging than I intended. I'd like to add that despite the time and money that I've put into my boat, I'd do it over again. It's been very rewarding to watch the transformation of H20 #647 from a neglected derilict into a boat that I am very proud of. She's a blast to sail and even more fun to race. There are minor open items left on my to-do list, but I look forward to checking off each one of them. Now if I can just sneak enough money past the wife to buy a new set of sails . . .

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having fixed a soft deck, investing time, money, and weight before, I would say save your money for better hulls. It's nice to get the boat back on the water, but ultimately it's probably not worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MBounds wrote:
To get into one-design racing, you're going to have to travel. Hobie Fleet 23 in Dallas is the closest active fleet - unless you can get four friends with Hobies and start / reactivate a fleet in Tyler.

As far as your boat goes, do a forum search for "soft spot repair" - there's a lot of info out there.

However, your soft spots sound large and in a very critical location. Fixing them could be expensive and will make the boat heavier. It's unlikely your boat would last a hard sail (without repair), much less a full season on racing.

This is what happens when you have soft spots where you have them:

Mariner Sails in Dallas can fix your sails for you and give you advice on your boat (they're a Hobie dealer): http://www.mariner-sails.com/

Where in Dallas do they sail, I just bought an ancient Hobie yesterday, probably no where near race ready but I'm interested in meeting other Hobie sailors.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should contact Fleet 23 in Dallas. Here's their web address: http://www.hobiefleet23.com/. Click on the "officers" tab and then click on Lydia Brown's name, she's in charge of membership.

I trailered from Shreveport to three of their events last summer and fall, two were on Lake Lewisville, hosted by Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club, and the other was on Lake Tawakoni, hoseted by fleet members Bob and Sue Mimlitch. I think that Lake Grapevine is aslo popular with the Dallas Hobie crowd.

I've been working to revive Hobie sailing in Shreveport. We've got a great club on Cross Lake. Here's our link: http://www.shreveportyachtclub.com/. We've got two active 20's, a 16, a Wave, and a guy that's threatening to buy a new 16. Think about coming over to sail with us sometime. Club regattas are every Sunday at 2:00. Click on my profile and shoot me an email if you are interested.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MVD wrote:
You should contact Fleet 23 in Dallas. Here's their web address: http://www.hobiefleet23.com/. Click on the "officers" tab and then click on Lydia Brown's name, she's in charge of membership.

I trailered from Shreveport to three of their events last summer and fall, two were on Lake Lewisville, hosted by Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club, and the other was on Lake Tawakoni, hoseted by fleet members Bob and Sue Mimlitch. I think that Lake Grapevine is aslo popular with the Dallas Hobie crowd.

I've been working to revive Hobie sailing in Shreveport. We've got a great club on Cross Lake. Here's our link: http://www.shreveportyachtclub.com/. We've got two active 20's, a 16, a Wave, and a guy that's threatening to buy a new 16. Think about coming over to sail with us sometime. Club regattas are every Sunday at 2:00. Click on my profile and shoot me an email if you are interested.

Ha, my band has a gig at a place called Mojo's on Apr 17 2010 , I think that's in Shreveport, maybe I'll drag the Hobie out there and get there early/stay later for osme sailing. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great! You'll enjoy sailing from our club.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28