Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone, my name is Jim and I am a Hobie addict. Actually picked up my new Hobie Pro Angler 3 days ago and can't wait to use it hopefully this coming weekend. Saw this site and decided to join. Been reading everyone's ideas on rigging before I start drilling holes and just wanted to say thanks for all the great ideas. Hope to meet some of you out on the water. :D

Jim from CT.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Jim,

Welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

welcome new to the site myself.your right there's some good info. here.congrats on the pro angler.i have one on layaway till spring.so i can get set up for it storage,trailer,and such.now this will give me to much time to find ideas and dream.but i promised i'd wait.at least you have time to play with yours before winter sets in.i just came back from getting a hitch on the car.i'm going to get a trailer for mine so i don't have to lift it.thats next.....good luck....send pic's

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys. I couldn't wait until next spring to get mine as I wanted to use it several times before it got too cold up here in New England. I'm sure you will be very happy with your Pro Angler when you get it Bob.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i live in central ma. my new pa is in n.h. were not even in the same state. :( :( my wife just doesn't under stand.some men go out and fall in love with other women.i fell in love with a yak.it's cheaper.what part of new england are you from?have you checked out this site...http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.com/....great group with good info. and all with the same addiction............bob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bob, I'm from central CT. Thanks for the link as I just signed up. I feel for you man since you won't have you Hobie until spring. :( I'll try not to smile too much when I'm peddling my Hobie this weekend fishing. :wink:

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jim...check this out........http://www.bestvideonet.com/watch.php?i ... s&dl=en_us

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:57 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Good luck to both of you and welcome to the Hobie Family, your going to love that boat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the luck George. I already know I'm going to love the boat as I tried it before I bought it. Bob, I saw that video with the thresher shark. Have you decided on your transportation mode yet when you finally get your yak? I saw that you were inquiring about trailers.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jim....yes i am going with a small boat trailer.the way i'm looking at it is the pro angler rigged is 138lbs.i put my gear in it your talking more.i watched the vidio on car topping it.i watched someone do it.in good conditions.you and i know it's not always done in good conditions.somtimes the ground is not even.orit's wet or what ever.things happen the yak slips or slides you try to provent it and end up with a bad back or shoulder injury.or get a hernia from standing on your toes pushing and pulling.loss time from work and play.no thanks.a trailer is the answer for me.low to the ground no lifting.you don't even have to go to the ramp.drive anywhere close to the water.untie,push the yak back add wheel cart,and go.i just think it will be a whole lot easier.for me anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bobsdream:

Way to go with the trailer.

My wife and I are in the process of taking this route since we both have PA's. We were putting one on top of a fullsize truck and one in the bed with the bed extender. We are both in our 20's and in pretty good shape.
One of the examples you gave with slick footing and damp conditions happened to us a couple weeks ago. We were at a boat ramp, and it had rained for several days it was just dark. We were loading up and I have had my wife hold the rear of the PA about chest high and I take the front over the top of the truck on the Yakima bars, and then I go to the rear and continue to push upward. We have a fiberglass tannau cover on the truck so there is no way to stand in the bed. Well the weight of the kayak on the lower end (her side) forced her to slip backward she held her ground, but it really scared her. So we decided not to go back out until the trailer is completed. I want to get this thing done. UPS and the trailer company have screwed us it should have been completed a week ago and now I'm missing some great fishing. :x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When considering a trailer, make sure you take into account that the Pro Angler is just heavy enough to cause itself some dents and dings from it's own weight on dry land. (or trailer). Flat spots or dents easily appear. Ask me how I know. I'm working on bunks for the bow especially as the stern does well with just some rubber foam padding. With the keel and two side "rolls", the stern does ok. The bow is the issue to be concerned with the most. I think the recommendation is to stow the PA upside down. Using the meat of the harder chine area. Good luck.