Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally got to take the new Dune AI out to the lake. Fishing season opened last week and we were hoping to get in some sailing and land a few Cutthroats. Well, the wind didn't really cooperate, we had a 10 knot breeze for about an hour then it slacked and we ended up peddling more than sailing. I am always amazed at how little wind it really takes to move these boats. We trolled for a couple of miles and enjoyed the fine weather and scenery, and while we had great fishing we had bad catching.

Thought you guys might enjoy a few shots of this great body of water. For those of you unfamiliar with the lake, it is a natural body of water about 30 miles long and 8-11 miles wide. It is located 30 miles north or Reno, Nevada and lies completly within the Pyramid Lake Paiute Indian reservation. The lake is a remnant of an ancient inland sea and the shoreline is an arid desert landscape spotted with large tufa formations (calcium carbonate deposits formed underwater when the ancient lake was much higher). The Pyramid formation is the lakes namesake. This tufa dome is an island that rises 600' out of the water. Our trip this day took us from a launch at the Pyramid, around Anaho Island and back along the east shore of the lake, about 6 miles. Hope you enjoy the photos.

On the west side of Anaho Island in light winds

AIs on the beach

Heading back to the launch area

Approaching the Pyramid tufa rock

This photo really shows the scale of the pyramid, the AI is running on the western tip of the formation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great post, thanks. The photos give excellendt perspective. I've noticed Pyramid Lake on the map and wondered about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a wonderful diverse world we get to enjoy with our Adventure Islands, and can share with others with common interests by the way of great pictures on forums such as this....Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Pirate, I marvel at the sailing adventure of those living near the ocean and someday I hope to be able to get the AI down to one of bays on the west coast. For now I have to be happy with my landlocked existence in the high desert of Nevada. Fortunately we are in the Great Basin and these large inland seas will provide me with plenty of sailing fishing and fair winds.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent pics of an amazing looking place!
Thanks Photoquests 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great photos

that's one seriously special place

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice pictures Photoquests. I have flown over Pyramid Lake and have often wondered about it. I was aware it was on a reservation, but not sure if it was accessible. You have answered that question. Thanks.

Another question, I have a Dune Adventure (NOT and AI), but would like to upgrade someday. Unfortunately, it appears the only amas and sails available are red or yellow. Was your AI purchased recently? Just curious if I might be able to get the dune amas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What an incredible place. Thanks Photoquests. I drove past the lake on a trip to The States a few years back and didn't know what I was missing. Now I know. If I were you I'd be enlarging that last photo and sticking it up in the pool room.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rferre2000 - the Dune Adventure is my newer boat. I purchased it 3 months ago and ordered the Dune AI conversion kit at the same time which included the gray sail and Dune colored amas. The installation of the kit was a little tricky but was easily accomplished with only minor trepedation as I cut into the hull.

Pyramid Lake is accessable but you will need to purchase a day pass or camping permit from the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe. If you are camping around the lake you will need a camping permit. These permits are reasonably prices $10 - $15 and can be purchased at the ranger station at the lake or from one of the stores as you enter the reservation. Road access right to the beach (and camping on the beach) is available from several dozen points around much of the lake. Be careful not to get stuck in the sand or mud, tow fees are expensive for extraction. It is a high desert lake and will be very cold in the winter and mild in the summer.

Be very careful of weather conditions and be prepared to exit the lake if strong winds begin to develop from the north. This large body of deep water and a long fetch of desert playa (Smoke Creek and Black Rock deserts to the north) will quickly produce short period 4-5 foot white capping waves with even larger, short period, swells. When I say short period, think of the bow and stern of the AI barely fitting in the trough.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Photoquests - Thanks for the info on the Dune AI and Pyramid Lake (and cautions). Sounds like something to consider next summer as we make one of our many treks from Sacramento to Bear Lake (Utah/Idaho). We frequently stop for gas and meals in Fernley, which appears to be fairly close.