Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It looks like the stick-shifty looking thing is a lever to raise and lower the rudders, with a shockcord for tension, in my opinion. Its probably a better/easier setup so they can raise the windward rudder when the conditions merit it. I havent seen one in person so Im just guessing, and Hobie hasent answered my emails regarding free product testing so an in-person meeting shall have to wait. Let me go check tonights lotto #....

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:58 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It doesn't use lines - it uses a rod, similar to the Capricorn's system.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know how a Capricorn's system works either. How is the rod with a ball on the end preferable or superior?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skipshot wrote:
I don't know how a Capricorn's system works either. How is the rod with a ball on the end preferable or superior?

Less parts to raise hell. Also, when the rudder is partially up, like when you're coming in, you don't feel like you are going to snap the tiller arm off of the rudder, because this attaches to the casting and stays there. With the system the Tiger or my boat has, when the rudders are unlocked you have to remember to push down so the top casting is locked side to side and not torque the crap out of the rudder. It still pops up if you hit something, but much easier to deal with once adjusted properly. Its probably lighter too, not that is much of a concern with an F18, as they have trouble getting them up to weight any way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That black one is one of the sexiest things I have ever seen... wow!!

1980 H16
Emerald Blue Sails

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Black is sexy but very high maintanence. It also has a tendency to display manufacturing variations in color and lay-up...as do most dark colored hulls. Don't scratch it...it will leave a white line. For long term good looks and wear 'n' tear you're better off getting white hulls...plus it's easier to match the color if you crash.

JB 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Skipshot wrote:

I sailed a Capricorn for a week at the Alter Cup in 2008. The rudder up/down system took a little getting used to after coming off a Tiger. Basically it is a fiberglass rod with a pin at the end at 90 dergrees. In the rudder up position, you pulled up on the rod and pushed back until the rudder was down. Then you had to grab the rod in the middle and apply some bend to engage the pin in the down position hole. Reverse the process for raising it. It will kick up when hitting the beach but that was not advised by Mr. Goodall (builder/owner of AHPC which makes the Capricron). The Wildcat improves on the design by adding the stick shift ball on the end on the rod...easier to grab onto and engage/disengage the rudders. The Capricorn rod had a blunt end about 1/4 inch in diameter. You had to push the rod with the palm of your hand (be happy you have gloves on) and use the other to engage the pin. See the attached pic. The rod is black, on top of the rudder at the very bottom left hand side.

JB 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would love to take a ride on that wildcat!!! :twisted:
I do not have much experience with different catamaran rudder systems as I have a 1976 Tornado (since 1986) and a 1988 H21SE (new this spring). I also have not sailed with other cats to know all the differenct rudder systems. I do know that my old wooden Tornado rudder is hands down much better than the Hobie system. These are my recreational rudders that seem similar to the new Wildcat and am posting pictures for discussion. My racing foils are fixed and do not retract.

Here is the starboard rudder with blade down.

Here is the starboard with blade up. Port restored rudder in background.

Here are the control lines. The right one pulls the rudder up and uses the jam cleat to hold in that position. The left line is used to hold the rudder in the down locked position. There is bungie spliced into the line to allow some relief from hitting shallow water.