Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Just how long does it take you now to set up the Hennessy Hammock on the boat Chris?.. Pirate

5 or 10 minutes Pirate. I haven't actually timed it and I get quicker with each iteration. I haven't yet set it up while on the water either - I'm waiting for my tramps to arrive. Normally, I'd prefer to beach it before setting up, but I'm sure it's doable out on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good stuff!

I guess the next thing you guys will have to worry about is a shore line (and worry about tides) or an anchor (and get a GPS with anchor alarm) :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chris,
I finally got the Hennessy. I could have gotten one quicker from you I think!
After much thought I have come up with a 1 inch PVC extension that slides inside the 1 1/4 PVC. Both have Tee's on them but the bottom one is drilled through so the 1 inch can go up and down.

I am trying to set it up so that it can be put up while in deep water, in the dark with the wind blowing and gloves on. That means not having to get near the edges of the boat to get at lines and such and having all the lines the right length so they just hook together. I think I have most of it worked out, at least in my mind. :roll:

Also I don't want to have to rearrange anything else in regards to packing the boat just to set it up. The lines need to be able to be stored out of the way but easily gotten at from the center part of the boat.

The straps going around the front and back of the boat need to be of a large diameter in order to be able to toss them over the nose as opposed to climbing out to the bow and getting wet. Same on the stern. On the beach no big deal but I want this to work in the worst situation. It really needs to be able to be set up with the fly first so if raining the hammock itself won't get soaked but that will be hard to do.

Still trying to decide about using knots or biners to hook things together. Biners are easier in the dark but knots don't get lost and always work!

The side tie outs actually go to the front and rear aka ends better than the ama handles.

Need to make a hardware store run tomorrow. Will try to get a video or something done setting it up on the water by Saturday!
This is the first time I have been in a real hammock and have to say that once in, rearranging yourself needs to be carefully considered. Not meant to be tossing and turning in :lol: .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Phil, it's great to hear it's finally arrived. I'll look forward to seeing what kind of setup you come up with. :D
I've found I've got a lot more comfortable moving around in the hammock as I've gotten used to it. Definitely not a great place for amorous pursuits though :roll:.
BTW, the trick to keeping the hammock dry is to store it with the fly wrapped around it. Once you have the pipes up and the ridge line tensioned, then you can unwrap and mount the fly, so the hammock remains beneath it at all times. I don't know if you ordered the snake skins. They make stowing everything away much neater, though they are not essential. If you use snake skins, wrapping the fly around the hammock is automatic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This set up looks very interesting, but:
' I want this to work in the worst situation.' do you really think if the conditions are bad that you can safely build everything up and sleep?
Safely anchored in a protected bay OK, but in bad conditions?
Time will tell...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hollgi,
What I meant by "bad conditions" was lets say a thunderstorm type condition where you can't get right on shore but can anchor 10 to 50 feet out. Water may be knee deep or 20 feet deep. Winds may be a light breeze or it may be blowing 15 knots. So perhaps I should not say "bad conditions" but less than ideal!
In my case that would be a wind driven chop of perhaps a foot or so if that, rain and blowing cold so I don't want to get wet before climbing in for the night. Getting a good anchor set might be problematic in those conditions also, especially with these small folding anchors. May have to put a foot or so of chain on. Mine likes to drag along instead of setting even with lots of scope.

Chris,
Yes, I got snake skins and they are great. You didn't hurt the hammock in your pursuits did you? :shock:
Made my hardware run so back to work :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hollgi,
I must admit, I had envisaged mainly camping around the extensive system of inland rias and estuaries in my area. I would plan to camp in shallow sheltered bays. I can see where you could encounter conditions like Phil is anticipating if you used this setup for the Florida Watertribe event, for example.

Phil,
If you're out in the AI in less than ideal conditions, you're probably going to be wet to begin with. At least you can be sure of keeping the hammock dry and change into something dry once it's up.
I didn't attempt any "pursuits" in the hammock - just speculating :oops: (a hero in my own mind).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Pirate wrote:
You guys have got my juices flowing with me now imagining overnighters actually staying on the AI which until now I did see as at all practical. I assume Chris that the poles and all completely fit inside the hull. I am surprised Mickey has not popped his head in here as he will be very excited about this breakthrough also. I am very much looking forward to your further reports......Pirate :)

Yeah, I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods Pirate, but camping is (quite rightly) severely restricted in the national parks in our area - usually confined to the odd noisy overcrowded area. This way, all you need to find is a quiet inlet and away you go. I am assuming it would be perfectly legal. Here's how I think I would carry the rig:
The hammock weighs 1.2kg and stuffs into a tiny bag.

The idea of sleeping onboard becomes increasingly attractive when you look at the restrictions on camping in many of our National Parks. I note that the only permissable campsite in the Kuringai National park is at The Basin - yet anyone in a boat can tie up to a public swing mooring in a multitude of beautiful quiet locations. There used to be a caravan park at Bobbin Head - I wonder whether it's still there :roll: Another place that I thought might be worth trying it out is the Narabeen Lakes :roll: Both The Basin and Narabeen Lakes would have lots of facilities nearby. It's interesting to note that there is a landing fee at the Basin - unless you have booked and paid for a campsite. :wink:
We have quite a few coastal national parks down here that also have restrictions on camping that don't apply to anyone pulled up to the shoreline in a boat. I'm getting more enthusiastic about this idea all the time :lol:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I spent all day yesterday trying to figure it all out. You solve one problem and it creates another :( . What I have tried to do is to make the set up easy and done from the cockpit of the boat. Put together it looks like this for now. I will try to do a video this weekend showing the process on the water.
I was able to get the poles in the front hatch but couldn't get them out again :shock: well, I did finally but it took awhile and I think it would be easier to carry them on the tramp. I started with 5 ft ones like Chris but while moving around in the rig it folded up and was pointing back at me. :oops: I shortened them up a bit and it all seems to work now.

If you have questions I have more pics.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great Phil. I'd be interested to see a close-up of how the ridge line relates to your straps and to the T on top of the PVC pipe.
mickeymouse wrote:
The idea of sleeping onboard becomes increasingly attractive when you look at the restrictions on camping in many of our National Parks. I note that the only permissable campsite in the Kuringai National park is at The Basin - yet anyone in a boat can tie up to a public swing mooring in a multitude of beautiful quiet locations. There used to be a caravan park at Bobbin Head - I wonder whether it's still there :roll: Another place that I thought might be worth trying it out is the Narabeen Lakes :roll: Both The Basin and Narabeen Lakes would have lots of facilities nearby. It's interesting to note that there is a landing fee at the Basin - unless you have booked and paid for a campsite. :wink:
We have quite a few coastal national parks down here that also have restrictions on camping that don't apply to anyone pulled up to the shoreline in a boat. I'm getting more enthusiastic about this idea all the time :lol:

Yer right Mickey. The Basin is the only campsite in the park and is noisy and overcrowded, plus it faces into Pittwater. The really sweet spot is Cowan Water, which runs down to Bobbin Head and includes Refuge Bay and lots of other beautiful inlets. It is a declared Marine Park. Public moorings are hotly contested by all the gazillionaires during the warm months, but the park rules allow kayaks and dinghies to moor away from the public moorings. There are a number of bays protected by sandy shoals, where only a non-keel boat can reach, so you can moor in total seclusion. Next time you come up this way, maybe we could organise a bit of a camping expedition. You could tow your boat up behind the Goldwing. A Hennessy hammock is only ~$220 and is really useful whether you use it on the boat or not. Throw in $20 worth of PVC pipe and you're home and hosed :wink:.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chris,
When the guy line biners are unhooked they then attach to the front hatch bungee cord. The outboard ends of the lines are inline with the base of the pole. These can be attached with the pole straight up and then rotated down and still stay tight.

This is the outboard end.

This is the top of the front, a hole cut through the top of the tee and a 1" pvc slides in and out and captures the ridge line. At the moment I have a piece of electric wire used to hold it up but will use something else later. Friction almost holds it but not quite. The green line binered to the 1" goes to the fly ridge line. I have used poly constrictor rope for these lines as you can put eyes in in 30 seconds and be able to adjust them if needed. Found them over on the Hammock Forum.

This is the rear and shows the electric wire as a stop for the fly ridge line. It seems like my fly doesn't completely cover the hammock or else I have some large adjustments to make yet. Still working on that part.
Hope this all makes sense :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Looks great Phil. I'd be interested to see a close-up of how the ridge line relates to your straps and to the T on top of the PVC pipe.
mickeymouse wrote:

Yer right Mickey. The Basin is the only campsite in the park and is noisy and overcrowded, plus it faces into Pittwater. The really sweet spot is Cowan Water (creek), which runs down to Bobbin Head and includes Refuge Bay and lots of other beautiful inlets. It is a declared Marine Park. Public moorings are hotly contested by all the gazillionaires during the warm months, but the park rules allow kayaks and non-motor boats to moor away from the public moorings. There are a number of bays protected by sandy shoals, where only a non-keel boat can reach, so you can moor in total seclusion. Next time you come up this way, maybe we could organise a bit of a camping expedition. A Hennessy hammock is only ~$220 and is really useful whether you use it on the boat or not. Throw in $20 worth of PVC pipe and you're home and hosed :wink:.

Chris - I'm pretty keen to do the camping trip :wink: I seem to recall a very nice island enroute to Berowra Waters (not Milson Isl :shock: ) - maybe it's the one off Peats Bight. Refuge Cove etc would be fantastic - could even take a (Norsca) shower under the waterfall 8) :D
I wonder what the Lane Cove river would be like :roll: No chance we could camp somewhere in Sydney Harbour is there? Somewhwere near Doyles at Watson's Bay - or Snails Bay, Balmain or Rodd Isl look interesting :lol:

Phil - looking forward to your video and appreciate all your effort to make this idea work :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Phil, I'll give your setup some thought and see if I can incorporate any of your ideas. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the fly might not be covering the hammock completely because you have the hammock closer to the rear than the front pole. I know this means you can stand on the hatch to enter or leave the hammock, but I found the hammock needed to be equidistant from the poles to sit right under the fly.
Why did you attach the guys to the akas instead of the padeyes on the amas?

Last edited by chrisj on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Chris - I'm pretty keen to do the camping trip :wink: I seem to recall a very nice island enroute to Berowra Waters (not Milson Isl :shock: ) - maybe it's the one off Peats Bight. Refuge Cove etc would be fantastic - could even take a (Norsca) shower under the waterfall 8) :D
I wonder what the Lane Cove river would be like :roll: No chance we could camp somewhere in Sydney Harbour is there? Somewhwere near Doyles at Watson's Bay - or Snails Bay, Balmain or Rodd Isl look interesting :lol:

Ah, that's got your juices flowing. All of the above are feasible as far as I can tell. You'd better come up for a month this time. Now if we can just get Stringy and Cowsgomoo and Slaughter on board..........
Better bring that Pirate fella too, I guess :wink:.

PS: That would be Bar Island on the way to Berowra Waters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Watching with interest...

Waiting for the toilet and BBQ accessories :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next