Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Getaway vs H16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

KeithB wrote:

Coming about is a bit difficult without the jib in a Getaway. If you have some sailing experience, you should be able to handle it alone but backwinding the jib makes coming about much easier. If you don't have any sailing experience, I would recommend the wave for solo practice as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I have plenty of sailing experience :)
not terribly much on cats, but a few days on Waves :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you have plenty of sailing experience, I'd go ahead and get a getaway instead of a wave. It's a lot faster than the wave, and you should be able to handle it. Wave is not very good to take more people.
Good thing is that teh getaway has the furling jib; if you have 8 knots you'll be going very fast with both sails. If you need to reduce sail area with more wind, you could furl the jib, though I have never sailed with no jib so I cannot say how different the boat feels.
Tacking might be an issue becuase in when tacking a cat you typically backwind the jib (i.e. don't release the sheet) until you are on the other tack so the sail helps to turn the boat (cats with no daggerboard turn really slow). Though lately I have found out that if you push the main sail towards the old windward side it'll help you turn. Just remember that if the boat starts going backwards you need to reverse rudders to complete the tack.
Hobie 16 is a faster boat but it's not very roomy; in order to take newbies I think I'd rather have a getaway. If you add the wings then you have lotsss of room and it is very comfortable, though it might be more fun with no wings (I usually sail it with no wings unless I have a good reason to put them on). I have sailed the 16 a lot and it's a blast, but I think the getaway is a more versatile boat, and definitely more comfortable when you have more than 2 people. Definitely get optional trap wires for added fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

coraltster wrote:
Hi, i'm a fourteen year old who's looking to buy a boat, neither of my parents sail, but they can do what i tell them to do adequately out on the water. Price is not really an issue.
So I have 2 questions.

1. would a 16 or a getaway be better :?:
2.I'm about 110lbs, could I singlehand a getaway with no jib in <15knts :?:

Yes, you will be able to singlehand the Getaway with or without jib in wind < 15 knots. The boat however does feel big and imposing when solo.
And you should sail conservatively, because in case of a capsize, you will not be able to right the boat by yourself at 110lbs...
As other mentioned, tacking without the jib is slower, but perfectly doable with proper technique.
I regularly furl the jib to practice tacking, and I don't have any problem except when I am dealing with waves.

But, IMHO, if you are 14 years old, the boat you really want is not the Getaway...
Picture yourself in 1 or 2 years from now... what you really want is the thrill of flying a hull on a Hobie 16 with your friends.
If it is too much to handle solo for now, stick with a smaller boat, or sail with a crew until comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

if it were a boat for me and only me, i'd go with the 16 now, hands down, but I want to be able to take out my parents or my brothers, none of whom know how to sail.
P.S. Im in the bay area and a saw a thread a while back about jeremy down in santa cruz selling spin kits... might satisfy the need for speed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

coraltster wrote:
if it were a boat for me and only me, i'd go with the 16 now, hands down, but I want to be able to take out my parents or my brothers, none of whom know how to sail.
P.S. Im in the bay area and a saw a thread a while back about jeremy down in santa cruz selling spin kits... might satisfy the need for speed

In this case, you will enjoy the Getaway. Plenty of power in a comfortable package.
Mine has a spin kit that Jeremy installed. It certainly adds speed!

(My boat is coming up for sale in the Bay Area. Ask Jeremy if you are interested)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
But, IMHO, if you are 14 years old, the boat you really want is not the Getaway...
Picture yourself in 1 or 2 years from now... what you really want is the thrill of flying a hull on a Hobie 16 with your friends.
If it is too much to handle solo for now, stick with a smaller boat, or sail with a crew until comfortable.

While I agree because of my experience in H-16 that those are more of a thrill, let me tell you that you can definitely fly a hull in the Getaway, especially if you go solo (maybe you'll need a little more wind than in the 16) and have a really fun time. It's very exciting to be flying a hull when you are sailing solo in the trapeze (done it a few times; it takes quite a bit of practice though), but as somebody said out there you gotta be careful with capsizing as your weight if not enough to righten it...... If you want to sail to the edge, then you might try one of the solo righting systems (haven't tried any of those though) so you are sure you can righten the boat if you go over.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

if I were to flip :oops: , in say 15 knts on reasonably flat water

do you all think that I might be able to do it with a power righter? :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have never used those, but from I have heard I think you are supposed to be able to do it. The more wind the easier it is to righten, because in the correct position it'll help you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gmozavala wrote:
I have never used those, but from I have heard I think you are supposed to be able to do it. The more wind the easier it is to righten, because in the correct position it'll help you.

It is not clear the PowerRighter would work on the Getaway.
However, it would take a lot to capsize the boat in 15 knots... By jumping up and down on one hull, at 110lbs, you won't capsize the boat.
And by sailing conservatively when solo, especially, with jib furled, you can certainly go a long way without getting wet.
In my opinion, the small righting bag is not enough. The bigger one might work but requires some setup.
I keep wanting to experiment righting the boat, but it is hard to jump in the water on purpose, and I keep postponing it :D

Last edited by crobiecat on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Crobie,
I've had a series of emails with jeremy about what i think is your boat (2007, wings, spin ?) and he keeps not replying to my emails when I ask him whether or not it comes with a trailer so if you could please clear that up for me that would be great

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

coraltster wrote:
Crobie,
I've had a series of emails with jeremy about what i think is your boat (2007, wings, spin ?) and he keeps not replying to my emails when I ask him whether or not it comes with a trailer so if you could please clear that up for me that would be great

coraltster, I sent you an email directly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Personally I wouldnt go near a hobie 16 with a bargepole,the getaway is a better boat all round and can be set up to race and quite competitively too,which i just proved at last weekends sail regatta here in strahan placing third overall and in most races flogged the hobie 16!!!Also if i had to make a choice of a racing 16 with simplicity I would go a nacra 5.0 with flying colours,it is a far superiour and safer boat than a h16 anyday!!!
Having said that the getaway is one of the best 16s in the world for all round sailing without a doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now i am not personally knocking hobie on the h16 I just simply do not like the boat!Go the getaway without a doubt,you will not be disapointed.
Tasmania's only getaway sailor!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

coraltster,

Were are you thinking of sailing?

I have a Getaway 2007 that I used to sail out of Alameda.

I have recently moved up to Oakley and now sail on the San Joachim river near the Antioch bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll probably sail mostly in tomales bay, in point reyes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What makes the getaway so easy to set up compared to the H16?