Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

New Hobie sailor here. I live in the Portsmouth, NH area. I am looking for a good place to launch in the open ocean. I tred Rye Harbor today, it's a bear to paddle out of the harbor. The best place I have found so far is Beverly harbor in Beverly, MA. You can sail from the ramp there.

Thanks,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeff,

I just moved out of Salem, MA to Annapolis, MD a few months ago and have sailed out of Sandy Point in Beverly for the past 5 years. Besides the mooring field right off the baot ramp, it's a great place to sail. The best part is it's free. If you want to launch with a dock, you cna always go to Winter Island in Salem. They do charge but it is a nice facility and a very nice park.

You can sail out of Newburyport, but you have to time the current/tides just right or the mouth of the river becomes impassible against the current for the Hobie.

You can check around Rockport, MA and Gloucester, MA. Gloucester Harbor is a great place to sail. I'm not sure about public launches. I always sailed up from Salem Sound.

A friend of mine sailis his H18 out of Crane's Beach in Ipswitch. I never got up there, but I hear it is a great place to sail from.

Sorry I don't have anything further north. I hope this helps.

A few fun things about Salem Sound.

Once you get good with the Hobie and can sail it up to a dock without too much hastle, try going to the Rockmore Bar/Restaurant in Salem Harbor. It is moored almost on the Marblehed side of the harbour in line with Derby Wharf (the one with the lighthouse on it) in downtown Salem. It has a Red and white tent over it. You can sail right up to is and get a drink or a snack. Since it is moored at only one point on the barge, it will swing around into the wind which make sailing up to it much easier. You can even leave your sails up. I'm not sure if it is still there. I heard they had some financial issues last year.

One more plug. If you get a chance and want to go on a really cool charter sail, look into the Fame of Salem. I helped build her and crewed on her for the first two seasons they were in operation. It will be a very nice tour of Salem Sound and the crew knows the waters very well.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks,

Yes, Beverly is the easiest so far. I will check out some of the other spots in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

while heading out to body-board at Hampton Beach in NH, we saw the sail of an H-16 standing above the storm wall. I asked the owner where he launched. "right there" pointing over his shoulder. There is "non-motorized" access at the very end of north beach, almost across from Cinimon Rainbows surf shop. I've never noticed it there, it's not labled.

FYI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Careful sailing out of Hampton BEach. Lots of people to get in the way when near the beach.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently moved to Portsmouth and went searching for places to launch. There is a boat ramp at Odiorne that wasnt too bad to lauch at. I was told that as long as you have beach wheels you can launch at most of the beaches on the NH coast provided there is public access to it, just have to watch out for the crowds. Has anyone sailed in Great Bay? If so, where did you drop in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie Nick wrote:
Jeff,

You can sail out of Newburyport, but you have to time the current/tides just right or the mouth of the river becomes impassible against the current for the Hobie.

A friend of mine sailis his H18 out of Crane's Beach in Ipswitch. I never got up there, but I hear it is a great place to sail from.

Nick,

Do you know where your buddy puts his H18 in at Cranes? I have been search the entire north shore (didn't try Cape Ann yet)...

Chip

Post subject: Ipswich
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not a ton of parking but I am planning to try here as well.....

Bay Rd Ipswich MA

Check it out on Goggle Maps with the Satellite view

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Salisbury Beach Reservation has 2 ramps. One has docks and is used mostly by motor boats. The other has about 12' of sand to the left of it to help setup. 2 problems however: Parking is usually full by 10AM on weekends and sailing out the mouth of the Merrimack River is a real bear with the currents unless the tide is going out.

Let me know if you find anything else...