Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hammer time!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have got the AI back in my workshop and have started addressing a few of the problems that have cropped up.
The first item is the worn / elongated holes where the pins go in that locate the aka to the crossbars. I am fabricating some phosphor bronze top hat bushes to go in the crossbar and the aka. The plan is to have the brims of the top hats facing each other. This will provide a nice bearing surface and I will ream the hole for the pin, so it is a nice play free snug fit. At the moment there is approximately 1" of travel at the ama due to the sloppy fit. I am also going to lengthen the elastic a little, at the moment it is so tight it is putting a strong side loading on the pin, that isn't helping. I will post some pics once I have the bushes in place.
When I unbolted the crossbars, I was surprised by the amount of corrosion going on with the bolts and under the mounts. I would have thought it would be worth using a sealant when assembling to prevent the salt water from getting under there. I will seal mine when I re assemble.
I noticed that there are a couple of fairly beefy tabs that are on the back of the mast well that sit directly under the crossbar. They are drilled, but not attached to anything. Anyone know what they are for and should they be attached?

The plastic insert that locates the end of the lockout strut has come loose. The plastic shear bolt is a sloppy fit and unable to force the tube to clamp up on the fitting, resulting in about 1/8" end float occurring. I will replace the fitting, but am not keen on the plastic bolts. I may fit a stainless steel bolt instead through the tube that will force the tube to clamp up on the fitting and fit a shear bolt on the hinge itself. Still thinking on this.

I pulled the rudder pin out after the mauling it took in the Mud bank incident a couple of weeks back. As you can see in the pictures it is a bit mangled. I will upgrade to one of the new grey pins instead. I still haven't broken a pin yet, so do not feel the need to strengthen that yet. I will see how the grey pin does.

My last gripe today is the locking hatches. As you can see in the photo, with it locked it still sits unevenly. I don't believe the O ring type seal is able to work in this application and it dumps water in when you open it that has collected around the seal. Anyone know of a better set up that will fit?

I will keep you informed of progress.

Post subject: Re: Hammer time!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:02 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Rok, sounds like some serious PM going on! I think the tabs are unassigned at present.

For your hatch, make sure your gasket is not twisted, has fresh silicone spray or grease and use your fist to lower the high side as necessary.

If it still leaks, replace your neoprene gaskets. They are supposed to have the pointed side out,
but seem to prefer sitting flat side out. Rather than fight them and get crooked hatch covers, I rotate them to this position.
With fresh gaskets they should seal pretty well. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the same problem with the oliptical holes in the Aka so I finished up doing the following:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=13167&hilit=crossbar
Best mod I have done to date. It was like replacing the shocks on your car. I didn't realise how much noise and vibration the AI had until the insert were put in.
Hope it's of some help.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a look at the various mods on the joints a while back. I am going with the bronze inserts as it should be (hopefully) a long term fix and I enjoy doing modifications. It seems to me packing out the joint with a spacer, will sort the problem short term, but if it has enough tension in it to stop the arms moving about on the pin, the pin will probably start to oval against the spacer. I am in the lucky position where I have complete workshop facilities (my 4x4 business) at my disposal which allows me to indulge myself with these sorts of projects. It is probably over the top, but should be very satisfying when completed.

I am also making up an alternative rudder handle. I am going to make a slightly longer, taller one and will fit a pintle on top, (as used for the strut on the akas and the spring loaded socket), together with a carbon fibre tiller extension offcut that I have kicking about to make a tiller extension for when I sort out my 1/2 tramps. Alternatively, I am also considering using a couple of aka struts with a joiner in the middle to make it long enough.That would then give me spare parts if I have a breakage. Still thinking about this.
I have noticed that the current hole in the plastic for the rudder handle pintle looks to be distorting and twisting in the plastic, so am considering making a stronger plate with a bush for the handle / spindle. If it is not too much hassle, I may also incorporate some sort of detent system that will allow me to lock the rudder off in various positions to hold a course.

I have been checking out some of the Moth sails . I am wondering whether one of those with a boom to give it a good shape would be worth a go? We have several foilers at the club and they are constantly upgrading as each new design comes along, I could probably pick up an old rig for a try out for not too much dosh.

Now it is cold and wet here, I am in no rush to get this finished, so can indulge myself over the winter. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought mine in February and we have just been through winter down here where all the AI's were in garages being modified. The weather is now spot on so it's time to test out all the winter mods. I also thought about the bush idea for the connection which I must admit would be a better option but quick, simple, resourses available etc I had to go the pov version. I do think though that the pin should be sacrificial or the connection have removable bushes. There is talk about a different design for the next model so we will have to wait and see.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.