Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

just got my new i9S kajak and since I want to go fishing with it soon, I wonder which rod holder to choose.
In the Hobie Parts&Accessories catalogue there are listed several rod holders and I cannot judge wich is the best one.

There are some rod holders with the RAM System like these:
2023014 RAM TUBE (PLASTIC) ROD HOLDER
72023013 RAM TUBE (PLASTIC) PIVOT ROD HOLDER
72023008 RAM FLY ROD HOLDER
As far as I have understood the description also article 72023004 RAM POST CONV. ATTWOOD,SCOTTY
is needed in order to attach the rodholders of the RAM System.

Then there are also so called 'Scotty' rod holders like the two following:
80048001 Rod Holder - Bait Caster w/mount
80055001 Rod Holder - Fly Rod w/mount

And then there is this one:
72070A ROD HOLDER

Has anyone here experience with these rod holders and can give me some advice ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on the i9s.

The first step in mounting a rod holder on any Hobie inflatable is to glue a rod holder attachment plate 79052000 (Page 41 of Parts and Accessories Catalogue) to the rail. The next step is to mount the 80052001 Scotty Deck/Side mount which allows you to attach Scotty rod holders/accessories. If Ram rod holders/accessories are desired for use, you will need to add the 72023004 Ram Post Scotty Conversion.

All of the rod holders you mentioned will work well, it all depends on what kind of fishing and what size rods you will be using.

Good luck and I hope this helps out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Good luck and I hope this helps out.

thank you very much for the answer - that helped a lot indeed :)

Quote:
All of the rod holders you mentioned will work well, it all depends on what kind of fishing and what size rods you will be using.

In the description of the rod holders in the catalogue it does not say much about their size.
So I wonder which rod holder you would recommend for a heavier sea fishing rod, a spinning rod and a fly rod ?

I also wonder if the rod holder with article number 72070A belongs to the Scotty series and for what kind of rod it can be used ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
In the description of the rod holders in the catalogue it does not say much about their size.
So I wonder which rod holder you would recommend for a heavier sea fishing rod, a spinning rod and a fly rod ?

I also wonder if the rod holder with article number 72070A belongs to the Scotty series and for what kind of rod it can be used ?

If you are trying to use one rod holder to serve the purpose of holding both a heavier spinning rod and fly rod, I would recommend either the Scotty Fly Rod Holder 80055001 with deck/side mount (With this mount you will not need the Ram Post Scotty Conversion 72023004) or the Ram Fly Rod Holder 72023008 (With this mount you will need a Scotty deck/side mount 80052001 and a Ram Post Scotty Conversion 72023004). Considering the extra parts needed for the Ram rod holder, I would personally lean toward the Scotty Fly Rod Holder because it comes with the mount and does not need any extra mounts/conversions other than the rod holder attachment plate 79052000 (which all accessory/rod holders will need). If you seat a spinning rod in the fly rod holder the same way you would a fly rod, it fits in there quite nicely.

If you are going to have two separate rod holders, you could have one be a fly rod holder and the other be a spinning rod holder. If that is the case, you could use the Scotty bait caster/spinning rod holder 80048001 or one of the Ram rod holders 72023014 or 72020013 for the spinning rod.

The one advantage the Ram spinning rod holders have over the Scotty ones is that the butt of your rod does not stick out the back of the holder, potentially interfering with your pedal stroke.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Considering the extra parts needed for the Ram rod holder, I would personally lean toward the Scotty Fly Rod Holder because it comes with the mount and does not need any extra mounts/conversions other than the rod holder attachment plate 79052000 (which all accessory/rod holders will need). If you seat a spinning rod in the fly rod holder the same way you would a fly rod, it fits in there quite nicely.
If you are going to have two separate rod holders, you could have one be a fly rod holder and the other be a spinning rod holder. If that is the case, you could use the Scotty bait caster/spinning rod holder 80048001

I have ordered now the two items you recommended which are the Scotty Fly Rod Holder and the Scotty bait caster/spinning rod holder.
For me the information in the catalogue where not enough to figure out which rod holder would fit my needs best, so thanks again for your kind help!

arno

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I appreciate the feedback and good luck with your kayak fishing adventures.