Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyone interested in this subject should read this thread also - it contains some very relevant information about the tramps acting as sails in strong winds and capsizing the AI - & they were only half size width ones :shock:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=16551&p=86374#p86374

My own conclusion is that if you decide to have half size or full size tramps deployed in strong winds, you had better be prepared to sit out on the windward tramp to offset the sail effect of the tramps.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Can you buy just 1. Is 2 really necessary ?

Slaughter,
Hobie only sell the tramps in pairs. :(
I've put one on each AI and have found that to work OK, although until a tiller extension is worked out, the port tramp would get more use hiking out. If you want just one then you can order the eBay tramp like Chrisj did. I like what Chris has done with the seat on the tramp and I intend to do that so my wife can join me. That's where two tramps would be great, with a seat on each and taking turns to steer or hike out, depending on the tack. Chris's all purpose boat hook looks like a great idea but long term I would like to mount an extra tiller on the S/B side.

mickeymouse wrote:
My own conclusion is that if you decide to have half size or full size tramps deployed in strong winds, you had better be prepared to sit out on the windward tramp to offset the sail effect of the tramps.

Totally agree Mickey!
That's what I intend to do in strong winds.
Or if that doesn't work just roll them up! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK then. I'll put my order in for Christmas.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I took the AI out today with the Hobie tramps on.

Forecast was 10 - 15 knots. I was doing about 7 knots upwind with a few reefs in and 8 - 9 on a reach so I'm guessing 15+ not 10 knots. Seas up to a metre with lots of white caps so it was an interesting day. I sail on Moreton Bay which is shallow and often has a short chop. In more open waters it can be a long swell. I had thought that the main way the tramps might lead to a capsize was a combination of wind and waves - if the wind got under a tramp on top of a wave ...

Anyway in today's conditions no problems at all. Certainly I didn't feel any less safe than without tramps. The leeward tramp buried occasionally slowing things down and the ride wasn't as dry as I thought it might be. The waves that got over the tramps were solid.

I still think that it would be difficult to capsize even with the tramps. My most difficult moment was actually a potential pitch pole when I was running with wind off the rear quarter. I was having a drink, eating a chocolate and checking a fishing line at the time so it may have been operator error.

The main problem that I have with tramps is landing. I launch from a boat ramp which has some sand next to it when the tide is right. It wasn't today so I was straight onto the concrete. I have to roll them up before coming back in and that's not as easy as it looks in a metre chop.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Interesting reading, Matt are there any plans to bring out 1/2 size tramps or possibly use more porous material that would let the wind through? I would really like to get a set of tramps so i can have better weight distro when carrying 2 people but considering i'm usually sailing in 20 knots + wind i don't wanna capsize. Also while i'm at it is hobie ever going to release a spray skirt like some of you have made?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:38 am 
Site Admin

We have no current plans for different style tramps. We have no working prototype of a spray skirt.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you can sew, or have someone who does, I have the sprayskirt drawing at the bottom of this page: http://www.kayakingbob.com/sprayskirt including dimensions and pictures.

Also, from time to time my wife will sew some for AI owners who can't sew. Email me if interested.

I'm also working on 1/2 tramps like I use for fishing, but stronger, but haven't finished anything yet. If you can find someone willing to sew straps on the Hobie tramp rubberized material, you could split a set into 4 - 1/2 width sides. Just requires an extra strap sewn on each where you split them, but must be a heavy duty sewing machine, not a home model.

Good luck

Last edited by KayakingBob on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

reconlon wrote:
If you can sew, or have someone who does, I have the sprayskirt drawing at the bottom of this page: https://sites.google.com/site/kayakingbob/Home/spray-skirts including dimensions and pictures.

Also, from time to time my wife will sew some for AI owners who can't sew. Email me if interested.

I'm also working on 1/2 tramps like I use for fishing, but stronger, but haven't finished anything yet. If you can find someone willing to sew straps on the Hobie tramp rubberized material, you could split a set into 4 - 1/2 width sides. Just requires an extra strap sewn on each where you split them, but must be a heavy duty sewing machine, not a home model.

Good luck

cheers for putting up the instructions Bob my girlfriend may be able to help me out :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChaosDave wrote:
reconlon wrote:
If you can sew, or have someone who does, I have the sprayskirt drawing at the bottom of this page: https://sites.google.com/site/kayakingbob/Home/spray-skirts including dimensions and pictures.

Good luck

Even I could make a set :D

cheers for putting up the instructions Bob my girlfriend may be able to help me out :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

how much to post these and some other spares to the uk?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
If you can sew, or have someone who does, I have the sprayskirt drawing at the bottom of this page...

Bob is too modest. The design is very simple... but you try sowing that stuff!!! Uuuggh! I bought the ones that Bob's wife makes, and there's no way that I could do such a pro job.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

I used my trampolines for the first time last week - near Vilanculos in Mozambique.
Wind was gusting 15 - 20 knots and I found , particularly rolling over a swell, that the wind got under the upwind trampoline contributing to the ama burying.

Is this a common occurrence, or something just to get used to?

Bob's spray skirts work really well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's very common, and a potential cause of flipping your boat in high gusts and waves.

You can roll them up in these conditions or simply hike out on them, if it seems safe to do this.

15-20 knots is "normal" here in Hawai'i, and I usually leave them on, but loosen the straps, (starting at the edges) so they will spill some of the air that's trying to lift them.

Don't forget to reef your sail in these conditions as well. It will bury the Amas first.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

finally got the tramps, $430 so pretty damn expensive. They seem decent quality however the straps do seem to come loose a bit to easy. Now i just have to figure out how to steer when i'm camping out on them and what to do with my paddle?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bungee my paddle out toward the Amas so I can use the whole tramp.

A short tiller extender (2-3 feet) is all you need on the starboard tramp. If you are tall, you can reach the control by hand when you hike the port side.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next